Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress Getting the Best of Me, tips for hardening up and avoiding binges! page

Black_Diamond is offline Junior Member

Stress Getting the Best of Me, tips for hardening up and avoiding binges!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I can be the most disciplined person in the world, I've lost 40 kg on my own before, I completely c hanged my lifestyle, I value health and fitness more than anything, but now and then the pressure of uni or work gets the best out of me and I end up binging or eating badly and it can last for weeks and it's hard to get out of.

In terms of knowledge of how to eat, I know my stuff, but I guess I lack some more emotional intelligence.

I don't want to have these binges any more, it impacts on my training, and ruins my mood even more. Anyway, I a one off non primal indulgence I can live with, but I never want to find myself eating badly for a week because I feel under pressure. Any way I figured talking about it is a way to own up to my weakness, get some advice and just have my challenge and goal written somewhere.

Any tips are appreciated.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Find a way to make yourself worse off if you cheat. One idea is to hand a large amount of cash to a family member or friend. Nominate something you hate to give the money to if you cheat. We will do more to keep /$100 than we will to earn it, it's a sales technique.

Write your goal. Give it to the family member/friend along with the cash. If you fail, you lose the cash. Simple/hard as that.

Hopefully you'll get other ideas from other members. Good luck.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My question is what is your idea of good primal? People here post about binges that are defined as "I ate 3 pieces of fruit, a lara bar and coffee with milk and sugar". Then there are people that post about binges that are "I ate 3 pizzas, McDonalds and a quart of ice cream".

The first thing to do is make sure you are eating enough food- good, solid primal meals are not a small piece of chicken and some spinach. And unless you have a good reason for being VLC, I think, my opinion, that when things get stressful, the last thing we need to worry about is keeping VLC. Eat sweet potatoes and fruit. And make sure you are eating primal foods you enjoy.

I used to binge on sugar. I did a Whole 30 and eliminated everything- basically a pure primal diet, no 20%. I learned very quickly why I binged on sugar and when and developed alternatives. Now when work gets stressful, I head out for a short walk with my ipod. Food was my "break" and now a walk is my break. My other "binges" were more out of a bad habit (dessert, every day). So... you need to give yourself an alternative to food when under stress. The other way I handle stress is shopping.... that was not the best solution, LOL.

Also, I have learned to shop strategically. I NEVER buy ice cream, and rarely buy chocolate or nuts. I tend to overeat those items. I keep a very binge unfriendly fridge and pantry. Yes, my husband bitches at times, LOL. However, I keep ingredients on hand to make a paleo mug cake.If I really want something that badly, I can make myself a cake. It's single serve, kind of a pain to make, doesn't taste that great, sits like a brick in my stomach, but it works.... it satisfies the need to treat myself. And it keeps me from running to the store for something worse.

The flip side of strategic shopping is to spoil yourself with primal foods. Ground beef and spinach is going to get old. And I see a lot of recipes with spice combos that make me throw up in my mouth to read them. I do believe I had the suckiest most stressful Easter weekend ever. By Sunday, I was ready to kill someone. My primal - fully primal meal- was pan seared duck and asparagus cooked in duck fat. Dessert was berries with whip cream and dark chocolate shavings. Now that is a decadant meal. If you cook primal foods well, they will be way more wonderful than a pizza pie. Lamb kebobs with mint salsa verde, skirt steak salad with brocolli slaw and creamy citrus vinegarette, bunless burger on a bed of sweetpotatoes and spinach with a fried egg, aioli and kimchee, eggs scrambled with bacon, spinach and mushrooms. Making meals like that are primal...and offer a very high satisfaction level. Somewhere, some vegan has snapped and binged on meals like that.

Black_Diamond is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My question is what is your idea of good primal? People here post about binges that are defined as "I ate 3 pieces of fruit, a lara bar and coffee with milk and sugar". Then there are people that post about binges that are "I ate 3 pizzas, McDonalds and a quart of ice cream".

The first thing to do is make sure you are eating enough food- good, solid primal meals are not a small piece of chicken and some spinach. And unless you have a good reason for being VLC, I think, my opinion, that when things get stressful, the last thing we need to worry about is keeping VLC. Eat sweet potatoes and fruit. And make sure you are eating primal foods you enjoy.

I used to binge on sugar. I did a Whole 30 and eliminated everything- basically a pure primal diet, no 20%. I learned very quickly why I binged on sugar and when and developed alternatives. Now when work gets stressful, I head out for a short walk with my ipod. Food was my "break" and now a walk is my break. My other "binges" were more out of a bad habit (dessert, every day). So... you need to give yourself an alternative to food when under stress. The other way I handle stress is shopping.... that was not the best solution, LOL.

Also, I have learned to shop strategically. I NEVER buy ice cream, and rarely buy chocolate or nuts. I tend to overeat those items. I keep a very binge unfriendly fridge and pantry. Yes, my husband bitches at times, LOL. However, I keep ingredients on hand to make a paleo mug cake.If I really want something that badly, I can make myself a cake. It's single serve, kind of a pain to make, doesn't taste that great, sits like a brick in my stomach, but it works.... it satisfies the need to treat myself. And it keeps me from running to the store for something worse.

The flip side of strategic shopping is to spoil yourself with primal foods. Ground beef and spinach is going to get old. And I see a lot of recipes with spice combos that make me throw up in my mouth to read them. I do believe I had the suckiest most stressful Easter weekend ever. By Sunday, I was ready to kill someone. My primal - fully primal meal- was pan seared duck and asparagus cooked in duck fat. Dessert was berries with whip cream and dark chocolate shavings. Now that is a decadant meal. If you cook primal foods well, they will be way more wonderful than a pizza pie. Lamb kebobs with mint salsa verde, skirt steak salad with brocolli slaw and creamy citrus vinegarette, bunless burger on a bed of sweetpotatoes and spinach with a fried egg, aioli and kimchee, eggs scrambled with bacon, spinach and mushrooms. Making meals like that are primal...and offer a very high satisfaction level. Somewhere, some vegan has snapped and binged on meals like that.
    It happens at the end of the day a lot, I would have just arrived home from training (rock climbing) I would have walked or ran home too and I'll just give in.

I think I don't eat enough. I still live with family though. Which means not having those foods in the pantry is a challenge lol.

My binges are bad, I ear like 15 cookies.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    It happens at the end of the day a lot, I would have just arrived home from training (rock climbing) I would have walked or ran home too and I'll just give in.

I think I don't eat enough. I still live with family though. Which means not having those foods in the pantry is a challenge lol.

My binges are bad, I ear like 15 cookies.
    I think most binges have a physiological factor behind them. It is very common for people who have been restricting their food earlier in the day to just lose it when they get home from work. Have something healthy and satisfying on hand to snack on at that point. Or eat more earlier.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Always grab some protein first. Even if you gotta lie to yourself. "Okay I'm allowed to have a cookie if I eat my steak first".... Then when your done with your steak reassess if you REALLY want that cookie.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I've done a lot of reading on the topic of binge eating, and one of the most interesting aspects is that the reason we give in so easily is because the temptation comes from US--it's our 'lower brain' that tells us those cookies or that ice cream is just what we need--and it's so very reasonable.

In one book, I learned 3 principles that I try to follow daily--

1. I can eat anything I want, anytime I want. Nothing is off limits. [You have to really make yourself believe this, and it's not easy for someone who has had weight concerns all her life. The point is to avoid any sense of 'deprivation' where food is concerned--a big binge trigger.]

2. I choose my food consistent with my personal goals for health and weight management, knowing that I can eat anything.

3. Faced with a 'temptation' to binge on foods that I have NOT included in my WOE, I ask myself, "Is eating this consistent with my personal goals and the self-concept that I want to foster?

That last point is the most crucial because my lower brain can easily convince me that I can deal with a pint of ice cream by skipping dinner (weight control), and that can be my "20%" so no harm done. But do I want to be the type of person who eats a pint of ice cream (both dairy and sugar are excluded from my WOE) instead of a healthy meal of whole foods? The ice cream always loses when I play the self concept card.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think most binges have a physiological factor behind them.
    Agreed, make sure your regular meals aren't lacking anything important. The most epic binges seem to come from the most restrictive diets, or diets where one eats a lot of legal but hollow food.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The old and sound advice of; "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!" That's means as a general rule to eat protein before carbs, with the exception of salads and fibrous vegetables that very well can come before the proteins...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There used to be a motivational speaker that said something like: People are motivated by two things - pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain.

Bingeing brings short term pleasure. There are few people who binge on foods they don't like. I haven't seen too many posts here about bingeing on two pounds of liver, for example. Bingeing also brings future pain, whether through the feelings of guilt and shame or the scale going up.

If we can train ourselves to associate bingeing with the future pain rather than the immediate pleasure, we can start to curb the behavior.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast