Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canola Oil, Sunflower oil and Mararine - need facts page

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member

Canola Oil, Sunflower oil and Margarine - need facts

Primal Fuel
    I need some good research on oils. I'm googling away but having trouble finding decent scholarly articles.

It's important to note that we need info on the standard low-acid canola, NOT the rapeseed oil that some old and much-published information is about. The fact that it is genetically modified is enough to put me off personally, but I need more info.

Not finding anything about sunflower oil, either - a common margarine ingredient.

Margarine here in Australia seems somewhat less heinous than in the USA, with minimal trans fats, but I can't find anything about intersterification.
    Last edited by Helen in Oz; 05-10-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Is there a reason why you're searching for it? It's crap, just don't eat it.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Having an argument with someone about whether it's acceptable or not. My view is that they aren't natural, and particularly margarine is processed to within an inch of its life - it's just not food, even if it theoretically is edible.

However when people are attached to crap like that, they want scientific proof.

I did have a look on the blog, but some of the studies that even Mark points to aren't particularly robust. There was a bunch of stuff done a while ago based on rapeseed oil - canola has lower acid now than the oils they used to use; one of the Indian studies used raw, unprocessed oil which has a different profile.

The blog entry in that link has a good concise description of the processing. In the Australian margarine, they somehow manage to remove most of the trans fats, so that's not an argument.

Just checking out his Healthy Oils - Definitive Guide blog entry. Ugh, Sunflower oil - I was trying to buy tinned Tuna today (hoping for one in olive oil,) but they all have sunflower oil in them - just the thing to make the omega-3s in the fish pointless. *sigh* (I went for the springwater packed.)

I think if people are going to nitpick over the reported nutrient profile of margarine, they aren't ready to listen and I should just shut up and leave them to it.

Dryden is offline Member

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Trans fats have mostly been eliminated from our margarine and like products here in the US as well. It seems like admitting that there are trans fats in a product is akin to claiming to be using asbestos in it.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    I think if people are going to nitpick over the reported nutrient profile of margarine, they aren't ready to listen and I should just shut up and leave them to it.
    You're probably right. In some cases the quality of research on nutrition and health is poor to say the least, and although I do read it when I can, some things just aren't proven yet. My own view is that eating food that has as little processing as possible is worth doing because we don't know what damage the processing is doing to us. We DO know about meat, eggs, cheese and butter because we have been eating these foods for thousands if not millions of years. You don't have to prove the safety of meat (except where it is intensively farmed I guess). It's up to your friend to find out for herself that safety of all the chemicals found in margarine:

Kerrygold butter added ingredient: salt

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter:
    Non-Hydrogenated Soya Oil
    Partially Hydrogenated Soya Oil
    Water
    Salt
    Whey Powder
    Soya Lethicin
    Sodium Benzoate
    Mono and Diglycerides
    Natural Flavour
    Vitamin A Palmitate
    Vitamin D3

I know which one I would want to put into my body.

Mary Enig, and expert of fats, says:
    However, as the public becomes more aware of the dangers of trans fats, the industry may be tempted to add more MGs and DGs containing trans fats in order to obtain the qualities they want in a food without having to list trans fats on the label.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/Mono-and-Di-Glycerides.html

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-H...3589947&sr=8-1

First of all: Of course you should simply get the Primal Blueprint book. But if you need a "second opinion", I very much recommend this book. IMO they focus a bit too much on fat and too little on carbs and grains, but they do get the facts absolutely correct when it comes to fat IMO, plus there are many nice coconut fat/oil/milk based recipes. :-)

In a nutshell: Polyunsaturated vegetable oils -> CHD, cancer and inflammation.

gini is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever heard of a canola plant?

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    Have you ever heard of a canola plant?
    I have now... reading the Wikipedia page about canola, wow!

Apparently it was in high demand in World War II as a lubricant for steam engines. When the war ended, people were all, "Now WTF are we going to do with all this yucky oil?"

Yecch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast