Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Articles on the efficacy of weight training for women? page 8

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well if your goal is "as much strength as possible" then ya.

If your goal is "strength to weight ratio" then no.
    While I agree with you almost completely they look like that because of what they eat more than anything. Of course their goals are WAY different than 99% of women.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, those top two women lift way more weights than I ever will and heavier than I ever will but it did not make them skinny and it did not make them look like Staci. That's the thing. Women want something they can do that will make them look good. Weight lifting by itself will not make them look good. It's not the only reason Staci looks like she does or why those cross-fit ladies look like they do. For most of one's life, steady cardio with calorie restriction will make a woman look good. Add a little light lifting to make some of the muscles show a little better. This actually works, but not forever and not even for all women.
    Of coarse lifting alone didn't make them skinny or look like Staci. Lifting alone does very little for anyone. A person needs to get on a program and stick to it plus eat for their goals. Consistency over time(several years) is what will bring results. The before and after pics of Staci are over 2 years time and she has made amazing progress.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    All this stuff about fluff aside nobody can argue that doing resistance training (notice I'm not even going to stipulate what type) is healthy for the maintenance of every system in the body from musculoskeletal and neurological to the metabolic. So if health is the goal use it. If its all about aesthetics then its still a useful tool as PART of the solution.

Like I said before though...as a man that already has a wife and will love and be with her big or small... I would choose HEALTHY leaps and bounds before even considering the big or small. So for me I believe lifting weights to be a good form of resistance training so use it... I also think that over the coarse of a lifetime your likely to get sick of lifting weights, so switch to body routines, kettle bells, swinging a sledghammer.... whatever. Just do resistance training as part of your lifestyle to be healthy IMO.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-24-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    All this stuff about fluff aside nobody can argue that doing resistance training (notice I'm not even going to stipulate what type) is healthy for the maintenance of every system in the body from musculoskeletal and neurological to the metabolic. So if health is the goal use it. If its all about aesthetics then its still a useful tool as PART of the solution.

Like I said before though...as a man that already has a wife and will love and be with her big or small... I would choose HEALTHY leaps and bounds before even considering the big or small. So for me I believe lifting weights to be a good form of resistance training so use it... I also think that over the coarse of a lifetime your likely to get sick of lifting weights, so switch to body routines, kettle bells, swinging a sledghammer.... whatever. Just do resistance training as part of your lifestyle to be healthy IMO.
    I agree 100%!!! I always say "I do not exercise and strength train because I enjoy it. I do it because it makes me a better husband, father and I like the way it makes me feel". With that said I do enjoy it most of the time. Most days the hour or so that get away from my business is very much needed. Luckily I am a business owner and schedule my gym time when it is almost empty. Monday I was the only person in the weight room for almost 45 min.!!!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Actually, the last photo in that series bothers me that it is thrown up as an example of a bulky woman. I see a defined waist, nice arms, great shoulders and legsthat look to have some shape (hidden under bulky pants). If you threw on a blonde wig, some sexy clothes and called yourself Barbell Barbie, the entire perception of that image would change.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Are you talking about the photo with the woman with birds on her shoulders? That woman is me. I gots me some biceps but I ain't no Staci. And those are tight jeans. Those thighs are all me, baby.

I think lifting weights is great fun. It makes me feel good. It provides way better positive feedback than cardio. To make visible progress does not require more TIME, just more effort. To make progress with running or cycling I have to go further which takes more time. Eventually it's too much time and becomes a drag. (I suppose you could run faster but I consider that to be sprinting, something else entirely.)

I just wish everybody was honest that lifting doesn't make you look like Staci. Staci looks like that because she was already thin and put on muscle with lifting. She also eats a very low fat, high protein diet. She probably does some other things, too, and she probably doesn't always look exactly like that picture. She is also quite young.

Maybe in a few years I'll look a little better but I don't believe for a minute that I will ever look like her. Just like I do not believe that I would ever look like the skinny little college girls where I work even if I strapped myself to a stairmaster for 2 hours a day like they do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    SBHikes, people like Staci are the what, 1% ers.? Most women would probably be very happy looking like you.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the point is to be the best you can be and keep improving. I doubt I could ever look like Staci, my skin won't allow it. I don't give a shit. I just want to look better than I do now.

I don't know, maybe I have some weird thing about muscular women that carry normal (that 24-25%) body fat.... but I think they have some of the best looking bodies and what more, they age better than the skinny no muscle women and don't look as hard the lean, muscular women.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't think any of those women would look better if they were sedentary. And Leida, would you rather gain 20 lbs of fat or 2 lbs of muscle and 18 lbs of fat? And the last two if they were dressed and posed a little more femininly would probably be attractive.
    For me gaining 18 lbs of fat is not worth gaining 2 lbs of muscle.

I don't know, maybe I have some weird thing about muscular women that carry normal (that 24-25%) body fat.... but I think they have some of the best looking bodies and what more, they age better than the skinny no muscle women and don't look as hard the lean, muscular women.
    I am a big fan of lean, dry look in the older women, and I desperately wish I was like that. But funnily, I am your 20+ something BF% and my body resists going lower. Lean women do seem to have one thing in common that I cannot match - they really do eat nearly nothing.

The other day I was sitting at a meeting with one of those slender ladies, and well, she doesn't like shopping for groceries, let alone cooking, she doesn't like veggies and fruit, and when she brought lunch to work once, it was a can of soup. When she was a vegetarian she lived of bread and cake.... which I am betting was a slice of toast for breakfast and a slice of cake for dinner. Mom said her slender friend was stuffed on half a hot-dog, a slice of black bread and a few leaves of a salad for lunch (well, at least that one is barely able to walk). How on gods' green earth one can suppress appetite to that level, I can only wonder.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think 24% looks great, though my goal is less than that. But 24% body fat is not really "normal". Rather, it is leaner than average. The average woman is already at 25-31% body fat.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Are you talking about the photo with the woman with birds on her shoulders? That woman is me. I gots me some biceps but I ain't no Staci. And those are tight jeans. Those thighs are all me, baby.
    I think you look great!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast