Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Articles on the efficacy of weight training for women? page 7

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Let's say the woman eats a pretty crappy diet, and because she lifts, she puts on 15 lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat in a year- beats putting on 20 lbs of fat.
    A woman will not have this ratio. Very few men will. If you are super-lucky, you will add 10 lbs of fat and 10 lbs of muscle - if that's even possible for a woman to add 10 lbs of muscle in a year, I highly doubt it, because a man can maybe add 12 lbs.

When I gained 15 lbs by eating to satiation while lifting in the past 6 month, I only gained 5 lbs of muscle (that's being generous), and 10 lbs of fat. Because fat is higher volume, I obviously look fatter. And don't fit in my clothes, of course. I can post a couple of shots if you wish.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I highly doubt it, because a man can maybe add 12 lbs.
    A young untrained man can gain 20lb of LBM in 6 months.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What do you think of these women who lift weights?

How about this one?

Not everybody is going to end up looking like Staci. Also, when I first saw Static, I though well, that's nice but I don't really want to look like that. That line on her body down near her pubes looked kinda too manly to me. And all the lifting heavy and eating skinless chicken breasts I have done hasn't come close to making me look like Staci anyway.

About the only thing lifting heavy does for a woman is confer some really good health benefits and firm things up a bit. It may also be fun and rewarding if you like it. It doesn't do miracles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    A young untrained man can gain 20lb of LBM in 6 months.
    2 lbs/month is what I have seen quoted for an expected for gain for a man who trains. A woman is lucky, very, very, very, EXCEPTIONALLY lucky to add 25% of that.

It is absolutely insane to quote a number for a maturing male and try to state that a female of any age and condition should shoot for matching that. Part of becoming a man is putting on huge amount of muscle real fast.

Honestly, what i do NOT understand is men not lifting heavy...
    Last edited by Leida; 04-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is absolutely insane to quote a number for a maturing male and try to state that a female of any age and condition should shoot for matching that.
    It is insane. Good thing no one is saying that.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What do you think of these women who lift weights?

How about this one?

Not everybody is going to end up looking like Staci. Also, when I first saw Static, I though well, that's nice but I don't really want to look like that. That line on her body down near her pubes looked kinda too manly to me. And all the lifting heavy and eating skinless chicken breasts I have done hasn't come close to making me look like Staci anyway.

About the only thing lifting heavy does for a woman is confer some really good health benefits and firm things up a bit. It may also be fun and rewarding if you like it. It doesn't do miracles.
    You do not really believe those women look like that BECAUSE they lift heavy weights, right?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    You do not really believe those women look like that BECAUSE they lift heavy weights, right?
    Well if your goal is "as much strength as possible" then ya.

If your goal is "strength to weight ratio" then no.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, those top two women lift way more weights than I ever will and heavier than I ever will but it did not make them skinny and it did not make them look like Staci. That's the thing. Women want something they can do that will make them look good. Weight lifting by itself will not make them look good. It's not the only reason Staci looks like she does or why those cross-fit ladies look like they do. For most of one's life, steady cardio with calorie restriction will make a woman look good. Add a little light lifting to make some of the muscles show a little better. This actually works, but not forever and not even for all women.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I don't think any of those women would look better if they were sedentary. And Leida, would you rather gain 20 lbs of fat or 2 lbs of muscle and 18 lbs of fat? And the last two if they were dressed and posed a little more femininly would probably be attractive.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That top woman is going to be viewed as morbidly obese whether muscular or not. No one notices that she has muscle tone when she is out in public wearing street clothes. She probably gets "fat lady" comments all the time.

If the only options are "put on 20 pounds of fat" vs "put on 18 pounds of fat and 2 pounds of muscle", the overwhelming majority of women are going to decide exercise is a fraud and avoid it like the plague. Because they're tired of being overweight and want to change that.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast