Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Articles on the efficacy of weight training for women? page 2

katiepotato is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Another one for you Girls Gone Strong: Free Workouts, Nutrition and Lifestyle Information for Women. - not specifically Primal or Paleo but should definitely help from a women's strength training perspective.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you just let people do what they want to f'ing do? Sure, Stacy got great results, but most women are not Stacy and won't get that beautiful firm body from 'just lifting'. Lyle McDonalds explains in plain English that women need more cardio than men to keep BF% down. I lift because I like it, but all women I see in the gym that have a better body than mine are cardio and light weights queens. And, no, heavy lifting for like 4 years did not give me a great bod. I just stalled and kept stalling unlike Stacy who progressed. I have an inkling that most women are like me, not like Stacy. Gods, I spent hours thinking of Stacy and wishing I was Stacy. But Stacy I am NOT.

I am sorry, but it is just so annoying - women by nature are more prone to sticking to the rules. So, they told me to starve, and I tried to eat <1000 cals a day; they told me to run, and I ran 4x a week; they told me to boot camp, so I lifted 10 lbs dbs 120 times for 90 min straight 6x a week. Now they tell me to go under the barbell, so I squat and DL.... and the result are null. Sure, I can do more shit in the gym than before, but I ain't a any better in the looks department.

The efficient thing to do is the one you LIKE doing, to STICK with, and that puts a SMILE on your face when you sweep into the gym. If it's the triceps extensions, so be it. I think just like with food your body will eventually lead you to the movements that it finds the most beneficial.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-22-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Why don't you just let people do what they want to f'ing do?
    Where the hell did that come from?

Sure, Stacy got great results, but most women are not Stacy and won't get that beautiful firm body from 'just lifting'.
    The article isn't about just lifting, actually. Reading fail.

Lyle McDonalds explains in plain English that women need more cardio than men to keep BF% down. I lift because I like it, but all women I see in the gym that have a better body than mine are cardio and light weights queens. And, no, heavy lifting for like 4 years did not give me a great bod. I just stalled and kept stalling unlike Stacy who progressed. I have an inkling that most women are like me, not like Stacy. Gods, I spent hours thinking of Stacy and wishing I was Stacy. But Stacy I am NOT.
    What were your best lifts?

I am sorry, but it is just so annoying - women by nature are more prone to sticking to the rules. So, they told me to starve, and I tried to eat <1000 cals a day; they told me to run, and I ran 4x a week; they told me to boot camp, so I lifted 10 lbs dbs 120 times for 90 min straight 6x a week. Now they tell me to go under the barbell, so I squat and DL.... and the result are null. Sure, I can do more shit in the gym than before, but I ain't a any better in the looks department.
    Sounds like your frustrations are far beyond squatting, bench pressing, and deadlifting.

The efficient thing to do is the one you LIKE doing, to STICK with, and that puts a SMILE on your face when you sweep into the gym. If it's the triceps extensions, so be it. I think just like with food your body will eventually lead you to the movements that it finds the most beneficial.
    Absolute drivel.

The article isn't about just lifting, actually. Reading fail.
    No, but the OP wants his lady-friends to quit ellipticals and 'just lift'. Stacy said she only runs when cross-fit makes her in that article. She is indeed a wonder that just lifts.

My best lifts were: SQT: 155 #, BP: 92#; OHP: 68#; DL: 205#; and I don't remember my best BBR, about 110#. That was when I was between 120-125#. It was long ago, and since then I did not improve any. I am doing 5x5 again, just doing 2 main lifts per workout and replacing SQTs 1x a week with split and jerk, but whatever. The bottom line is I suck, no matter the effort, no matter the faith, no matter the adherence.

Sounds like your frustrations are far beyond squatting, bench pressing, and deadlifting.
    Yes, I come to abhore the all-knowing guru that tell you that you just need to do this and that, the BESTEST THING of the day, and you will be beautiful. F**k that. Do what you WANT.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-22-2013 at 07:42 AM.

And, to be fair, the same applies for men. I see quite a few men-folks in my gym, who do dynamic, lighter weight stuff with a lot of intervals thrown in who have better bodies imo than the exclusive heavy lifters (who run out of 45 plates when benching). There is no rhyme or reason to who does what and the body they get. I have seen a couple of women lifting heavy for a few months to a year without any magic transformations happening to them despite seeing them in the gym reg-basis. When I read 5x5 fora, there were plenty of gals like that there too, one of them lifting huge DLs but not improving aesthetics at all.

Millage vary. Be happy.

F**ing feel free to dismiss it as drivel or blame it on my own stupide self, because I am 'just not trying hard enough'. I don't f**ing care.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-22-2013 at 07:52 AM.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member

Today's Mark's article states that HIIT = SS cardio where the adaptation and gains are concerned, and has to be done at a near-puking intensity to get there. If you go at an intensity like that, it is as easy to get over-trained and injured as in SS day after day. Plus, not everyone can reach the near puking intensity. Some like HIIT, some like meditative ss. And, one also has to factor in the appetite's reaction to intense vs low key exercise. A lot of people get so hungry from a HIIT that they destroys all benefits of doing it. People who have high hunger response can actually benefit from reducing intensity of the training.

Again, there are choices, and one approach doesn't fit all.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I'm pretty uniformly impressed with the bodies of the women at my new gym who have done Crossfit for a while. The men too. I've never been in an environment where pretty much all the participants that have been doing it for a while look really great- flat tummies, nice defined muscles. Some are bulkier than others, some are leaner than others, but overall their bodies are better than anything I have seen at a running race, normal gym or even the HIIT class I used to do.

I think for your friends, you can tell them all day long about the virtues of lifting, but they need to actually see the bodies women can acheive with that type of training, in person. For me, when I walked in that gym and saw a half dozen muscular yet feminine looking women I knew I was going to give it a shot.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    It is funny, because last night I was thinking about this thread again, and decided to come back and post a follow-up of sorts, and Leida has touched on some of the stuff I was thinking about. But I'll give it a go anyway.

To the OP- Don't be surprised if your coworkers look at all the links, read the articles, and still dismiss the idea of heavy weights. You are a guy (I'm assuming), so your whole life you have likely been told to lift to get fit and strong. Women have never been told that. In fact, it goes against nearly everything we have ever been told about being "fit". Now it is a message that is being spread to women, and while some women are taking up weightlifting and finding they love it, it is such a huge paradigm shift that many others can't even comprehend it. I still struggle with it myself.

If they do take it up, don't be surprised if they come to you in 6 months, unhappy that they now have even more mass still hidden under a layer of fat, making them bigger than they started. Yes they will be stronger, but honestly, that isn't what most women really want. When women say "stronger", they usually mean they want to look like <insert random female celeb>. They want body fat low enough to show the musculature beneath, not necessarily bigger muscles. They want to look "toned". I know that is a bullshit word, but it is so pervasive in our culture that everyone knows exactly what I mean.

I don't know what the answer is. I see women at my crossfit, strong women who can deadlift and overhead press and squat a crap ton of weight, and yet they are still overweight by any measure. I don't know what their diet is, but they are smart women, and heavy crossfitters, I somehow doubt they are shoving Oreos in their mouths any chance they get. On the flip side, I know some women who go the very low calorie diet and chronic cardio route, and they look better in a bikini than most. What can they lift? I don't know, and I doubt they know or care. I see Staci, and the girls from the other blogs linked here, and I am both inspired and overwhelmed. Staci's approach, while obviously effective, is so focused, especially in regard to her diet, and I don't have it in me to eat baggies of chicken breast and steamed veggies all day long.

I will say though, for women especially, diet seems to be the biggest factor. All the women I know who look really good (I know, anecdotes do not equal data, but it is what I'm working with), whether they are strong and fit or slender and "toned", have a high level of commitment to their diet of choice. I am talking bringing your own baggies of chicken to group dinners level. Or passing on a smorgasbord of insanely delicious Greek food to nibble on a single ear of corn level. It is a level of commitment I will freely admit I don't have.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    know some women who go the very low calorie diet and chronic cardio route, and they look better in a bikini than most.
    Until they hit 40.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast