Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much dark chocolate per day? page

Moritsuna is offline Junior Member

How much dark chocolate per day?

Primal Fuel
    On marks article about dark chocolate, the patients who were consuming dark chocolate in comparison to white chocolate helped their insulin resistance. These patients consumed 100g of dark chocolate a day. This like 1 standard bar of dark chocolate you would get at any whole foods/trade joes etc.

Is one bar of chocolate ok for a day? Or only about half?

I do have acne problems that I have already seen a drastic reduction by going paleo/primal, however I want to keep it that way. The only cheat I allow myself is 82% scharffen berger dark chocolate. I was wondering how much I should consume to gain both the benefits of dark chocolate without interrupting the natural flow of my blood sugar levels.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that the 'problem' with chocolate is the sugar consumption. So the darker the chocolate is, the more you can eat...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? And are you caffeiene sensitive?

I find dark chocolate very satisfying so never want to eat more n 2-3 squares tops. But I am only eating it for enjoyment and not to try for certain benefits so I suppose I have never tried to push it!

I am trying to lose weight though and am also quite caffeine sensitive, so for both of those reasons --'d be imposing a limit even if I didn't find it naturally self-limiting.

I don't personally find chocolate to be filling. If I am going to eat 600 calories worth of something then I want that something to be filling as that is basically a meal. But it might be a good thing to try to get through if you are very active or struggle to keep weight on.

It really depends. I only eat chocolate for flavour and it does that job very efficiently. I would never eat if if I were hungry though, or even on an empty stomach.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I do my best to eat a bar a day. Sometimes more.

Truly a delight with coffee.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Hrm, I average one bar over a week.

I adore my chocolate but I think one bar a day would have a displacing effect. I buy unsweetened and put fruit or coconut on top.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If it's not a problem for you, then MOAR.

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    I only have 2-3 squares on most days - that really is quite enough for 88% dark chocolate. I love it, but can't see myself eating an entire bar at one time, or even half a bar.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I only have 2-3 squares on most days - that really is quite enough for 88% dark chocolate. I love it, but can't see myself eating an entire bar at one time, or even half a bar.
    88% is a bit sugary for one bar a day!

Only kidding - I have one square a day usually after dinner. We are on Lindt 95% this week, found it on offer at the supermarket.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I stick to 10g or less of dark chocolate per day. I often go days at a time without eating any cacao. I love the taste, but cacao has a unique ability to make me feel ridiculously tired, moody, and sluggish. Might be different for you, but eating an entire bar per day can get expensive. There are much more satiating things you could be spending your money on.

As far as acne goes, some people find that chocolate improves their skin quality. For me, however, cacao (along with coffee and dairy) is one of the foods that actually gives me pimples. Your best bet is to experiment and see what works for you.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the dark chocolate is going to contribute to acne problems. Most acne problems are resolved by avoiding dairy and the higher quality brands of dark chocolate especially at higher percentages don't contain dairy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast