Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint and low blood sugar?? page

Satori75 is offline Member

Primal Blueprint and low blood sugar??

Primal Fuel
    I have been on this diet now for 5 months and still don't feel right/satisfied after my meals.. I have low blood sugar and always needed some form of starch to nullify the low blood sugar, and feel that I may have to introduce some potatoe and yam back into the diet.. Does anyone on here have low blood sugar as well? I can eat a full primal meal, and feel full, but because I did not have any starch, I will feel hungry and tired within an hour. I know its not hunger, but rather my body graving more carbs then the fruit and veggies.. I thought that my body would adjust, but I think I just need more carbs for my body... Most doctors do suggest some form of complex carbs for low blood sugar... I am curious if anyone else on here has similiar issues.... Any suggestions??
    Last edited by Satori75; 05-10-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    First of all how about giving an outline of your typical daily diet and activity, so people have something to work from?

And importantly, has you doctor diagnosed the cause of your hypoglycemia?

Typical Diet

Thanks for the reply...

I have tried having the primal omlette for breakfast, with berries, but that does not satisfy me, even with cheese and veggies added. I have been having a smoothie for my first meal with coconut milk, whey protein, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and half a banana.. This seems to work well for me.. I snack on nuts and seeds, and berries and maybe an apple... Main meals consist of fish, chicken or steak, with two servings of veggies. Usually spinach, asparagus or green beans... I may have a chicken caesar salad, with extra chicken and veggies for dinner.. I also include flax and cod liver oil in my diet.. Before bed I have a casein protein shake with glutamine and fish oil, which works well... I ride the stationary bike 5 days per week, (slow) for 45 minutes to an hour. I also do 30 minute weight workouts 4 days per week, and do some yoga as well...

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    And the low blood sugar? Is this a medical condition - diagnosed low blood sugar, which may have some physiological cause, or is it that you just get a little light-headed and hungry if you don't eat often?

I'm never a fan of shakes unless you have a specific need for them - liquids are handled by the body differently to solid food. With the smoothie and the protein shake that's two liquid meals you've got going there.

Try having some meat or fish at breakfast.

I don't show up low blood sugar on the blood tests, and I even tested myself for a month and blood sugar is always between 80 and 100... I don't get light headed, just feel hungry right after meals.. If for example I have a steak with veggies, I will feel hungry or tired after the meal, unless I have some potato... I expected this to go away after a few months, but I still get it...

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It's not low blood sugar obviously with numbers like that. And the addition of carbs for most people would result in the hunger and tiredness that you seem to get without them.

Are you sure that you're eating enough at your meals? If I have sufficient protein and fat, I am never hungry. Perhaps what you need is just more food rather than carbs?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    i see a serious lack of fat. Add more butter, cook in more grease, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc... Add fat to keep yourself satisfied - and if you're still unsatisfied, add some more.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
    i see a serious lack of fat. Add more butter, cook in more grease, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc... Add fat to keep yourself satisfied - and if you're still unsatisfied, add some more.
    +1 Always add fat if you feel hungry and protein demands has been met.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I'd say that your blood sugar is still fairly high. You should try to remove sugary fruits from your meals and replace them with fat ... at least for a while. Maybe you simply have low tolerance for glucose - in that case your blood sugar might spike (and crash) after your meal just because of the banana and berries. The spike also inhibits your fat metabolism -> you feel weak.

So: try zero carb for a while (at least a week).

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been diagnosed hypoglycemic. Can someone do a convert? I hit bottom during a GTT with a low of 2.1 mmol/l.
    Early on in my Primal existance I had a low after not eating for far too long. This takes practice.
    I had to cut my carbs way way back and work though eating small amounts regularly. Now I can fast for several hours without incident.

This might just be a long time habit that you have to work through. And remember that some carbs make you want more carbs. You'll figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast