Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Blueprint and low blood sugar?? page 2

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was told that I was mildly hypoglycemic; I used to have lows pretty often if I didn't eat at a normal schedule - I was not a fun person to be around if I ate an hour or so later. Then I cut HFCS out, & the lows slowed enormously, but I was still eating pretty regularly. Now, I can IF, but I have occassionally had a low - I just assume I must've had too much sugar, or not enough calories before or after a workout, & grab a spoonful of nut butter or a hunk of chicken. I should mention that although I've had lows, I haven't had a crash - the shaking, irritable, horrid feeling with your body screaming FEED ME NOW. Mostly I've just had a bit of weakness & realized that I could use a snack. I would say that since January, it's probably only happened four times.

Make sure to eat lots of fat - if I start my day with bacon & eggs, or sauteed veggies, I'm fine for the day. I also do a similar smoothie like you mentioned several times a week, & that works well for me too. I'd switch out the PB for almond though; it's not a huge deal to be eating legumes, but it's not really primal.

Are you trying to lose weight? If not, by all means eat a sweet potato or squishy-squash if you feel like it'll help/won't make your total carbs go over 150. It does seem like you're eating a lot of fruit - that's been the hardest thing for me to give up. I've had to cut down to about one piece a day, or else I just crave more & more sugar. If I have the banana in my smoothie, that's it. Makes me sad, but the health benefits are worth it.
    Last edited by aboutsaffron; 05-10-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: clarity
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Satori75 is offline Member

Thanks for the advice.

i see a serious lack of fat. Add more butter, cook in more grease, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc... Add fat to keep yourself satisfied - and if you're still unsatisfied, add some more.

I am surprised how much fat I need to feel full.. I have a big salad for lunch today with lamb and steak, veggies and hummus. I was still hungry and had three handfuls of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and a bunch of nuts with an orange... That seemed to do the trick... Are you eating that much fat per meal?

Thanks for the advice, I will try and add more fat to my meals... For lunch today, I had a bug greek salad with a lot of beef and lamb, hummus and veggies.. I was still very hungry, and had three handfuls of sunflower and pumkin seeds... I was still hungry and had a big handful of macadamian nuts and an orange... I still feel not satisfied and that I need some bread or starch... Is it possible that some people just need more carbs?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Cripes, that's a LOT of food. I think there's more issues going on here than a bit of carbs, frankly. And there's a truckload of carbs in that orange.

You might need to look at eating a more modest volume at several sittings through the day: I mean breakfast, lunch and dinner, or else maybe four meals, and take a good look at the size, too - maybe you've stretched your stomach so it doesn't know when it's full anymore. Look at HOW you are eating. Slowly and mindfully, or throwing it down the hatch while reading or watching TV?

And feeling hungry is okay. You aren't meant to go around feeling stuffed full and sated all the time. I find that when I'm eating well, I can comfortably skip a meal and though I'm aware that my stomach is empty, it's not unpleasant and I don't feel lightheaded because my blood sugar is stable.

I just had a tin of tuna and with some cauliflower and cheese with mustard for lunch. I'm still hungry, because I tossed it down a bit quick (it was delicious!) but I'm fairly confident that it was an adequate meal for the sedentary day I'm having. I could go and eat something else, or I could focus on my work and in half an hour, my brain will register that I've eaten and I won't feel hungry anymore.

How are you guys reaching 100 to 150 grams of carbs per day, with little fruit and just veggies? Most veggies have only minimum about of carbs... I think my problem, was not eating enough food, along with not eating enough fat...... I will start to increase both, while cutting out the fruit for a few weeks.... Adkins style!!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    You might want to also think about tailoring back on the nuts and moreover, the seeds. they will promote inflammation in your body. I would consider ditching the hummus as well.

What are your goals. Are you looking to lose fat, or just maintain? There's no rule where you HAVE to be at 150 grams of carbs, that's just suggested maintenance. Anything below is fine, depending on your goals of course.
    I grok, therefore I am.

When I eat a primal meal, I am feeling satisfied, as in full enough, but my brain seems to crave more sugar... I have been on this diet for 5 months, hoping my body would adjust, I may have to add in a bit more carbs at this point... I won't be hungry, but feel real irritable and in need of a higher starch... Any ideas??

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Sartori, why are you repeating yourself on the carbs thing? I think it's pretty clear where most members stand on this - most peeps here err on the uber-low side where carbs are concerned, with a few doing zero, some doing 50-100 and some being more flexible, but they are generally regarded as a necessary evil, and it depends very much on your personal lifestyle, nutrition balancing and goals. It sounds like you're fishing for someone to say "oh yes, that's what you need, more carbs!", and that's not going to happen.

Look, I'm a noobie at this so I don't fully get the science yet, but my understanding is that -any- meal is going to create an insulin release and it's that unused insulin that I THINK is making you crave carbs. If you distract yourself it will probably go away. But you've been a carb-addict for most of your life, it can take a long time to change that. Sugar is like a drug, remember?. It might be worth having a checkup to look at any possible health issues to do with insulin/blood sugar, just to be on the safe side.

It could be that the traditional dessert (rather than sugary snacks) is the way traditional eating has dealt with the post-meal insulin rush and maybe that is a relatively healthy way to consume them, rather than having them spike your blood sugar in between meals. I don't know, that's just a wild guess on my part. So maybe take a hard look at everything you are eating and design your meals so that any carbs you're consuming are taken at the end of your meals. Just make sure your snacks aren't carby. See how you feel.

I'd suggest that you get on to FitDay or a similar nutrition tracking website and enter in your foods so you know exactly how much you are consuming, so you can make more informed choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12