Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to avoid processed carbohydrates on $5 per day? page 2

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    unsure of what you normally eat, I'll say this:

Ground grass-fed beef - 85/15 or 80/20 - I can get it for $6-7/lb in NYC, so I'm guessing you can get it for that much or cheaper. One pound can make 4 burgers (gussied up with some onions/garlic/other spices) or multiple servings of a stirfry/larb/seasonsed meat thing.
    If you have to buy non-grass-fed, go for the leaner cuts/mixes and add a healthier fat - HOWEVER, I've found that the leaner conventional meat is more expensive than the fattier Grass-fed.... sometimes there will be a special super-low price on some fatty grass-fed cut I've never cooked before - I've learned a lot of new recipes by picking up an unfamiliar super-cheap cut... as I refuse to eat conventional when I have a choice, and $15.99/lb skirt steak is tasty, but I can't have it every night.

Eat more veg, fruit, and potatoes. I'm not sure if weight loss is a goal of yours, but if my food budget shrank that much, I wouldn't be thinking about weight loss AT ALL, just about eating clean until my situation got better. Get whatever's on sale - kale, spinach, carrots, oranges, bananas, cabbage, green beans, sweet potatoes - use lots of fat and flavor when cooking.

Eat more healthy fat - it fills you up

Don't let ANYthing go to waste - sautee some veggies in your bacon or burger drippings and/or save the drippings to use for cooking later; save all your bones and meat/veggie trimmings for stock. don't toss leftover food (I was shocked when I ate at someone's house and they just threw away the extra bacon and eggs - sacrilege!)

EGGS - now is prime season, so it's one of the cheapest times of the year to get good eggs. Pastured is best, but don't be afraid to go for Organic or Cage Free or... even conventional eggs are better than eating processed junk. I can get Large cage free eggs for about $2.49/doz - the Pastured ones at the farm market are like $4-7/dozen.

Hit a farmer's market at the end of the day - they're trying to avoid hauling stuff back, so they often give out CRAZY deals on awesome fresh veggies and fruit (and don't be afraid of the fruit - it's still REAL FOOD).

Use EVERYthing in your fridge/freezer/cupboards... I did this once when I had a delayed paycheck... I had all kinds of goodies I'd nearly forgotten about - and we were able to "save" a lot of stuff (mushy fruit/veg? cut off the mushy parts, chop up the okay parts and use them for something!)

Oh, and some people find it good to drink more water - it'll help fill physical space in your stomach.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Head to Aldi and get several bags of frozen veggies, some cheap frozen meat, nuts, and some cheese. You can get a lot there for $35

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Potatoes. With each meal.
    +1

I have no idea what prices things are where you are, but you should be able to get a 10kg bag of potatoes fairly cheaply, and best of all, they can be cooked so many different ways:
    boiled - whole (blah, but good when you have meat in the meal)
    boiled - mashed
    baked - whole
    baked - jacket wedges
    baked - in milk
    roasted
    refried (boiled previously, then fried in wedges or slices)
    casserole (the same way you would use carrots)

I'd also hit the eggs and butter pretty hard, along with other vegetables like onions and carrots, and spices to flavour.

I have no idea what things cost in your country, but assuming a $35 budget, in my country (NZ) the prices would work out roughly as:
    30 eggs $5 (caged eggs. we actually by free range ones for $15)
    0.5kg beef mince $5
    1kg Butter $6
    10kg potatoes $8
    2kg onions $3
    2kg carrots $2
    3 tins of tomatoes (440g ea) $2
    2 broccoli $2
    garlic $2
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-21-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    baked - jacket wedges
    Is that another name for accordion potatoes? Definitely my favorite.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Is that another name for accordion potatoes? Definitely my favorite.
    I had to google your accordians, but no. Jacket Wedges are potato segments cut into eights the same way you would break a mandarin into 8 segments. Then you marinade them in garlic/olive oil/basil/salt/tamari for a couple of hours, then bake them in the oven.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I had to google your accordians, but no. Jacket Wedges are potato segments cut into eights the same way you would break a mandarin into 8 segments. Then you marinade them in garlic/olive oil/basil/salt/tamari for a couple of hours, then bake them in the oven.
    Ah, I make those but I never tried the long marinade. You make a strong case!

Accordion is my default since I love salt and vinegar creeping into every crevice.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Organ meat, eggs and potatoes. Bananas if you have a sweet tooth.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Bananas, potatoes, and eggs all can be acquired at low cost.

If you have Trader Joe's where you live, I recommend going there. They sell mostly all organic food, and aren't really expensive at all.

I also know some people who have eaten just cans of tuna and salad all week, while on a budget, too.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what's cheap, what's expensive in your area. Here I would go with
    -Offal, if nobody suggested it yet. Liver etc cost << less than ground beef here
    -potatoes
    -rice and beans
    -any veggies that are on sale, cabbages and root veggies are the cheapest here

eggs and dairy are $$$ here. But I hear they are dirt-cheap in states.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast