I'm going to try out the 5/3/1 program because it looks like it will be good while eating at a calorie deficit because of the slowness in which weight is increased (longer recovery). Also, each individual lift is separated by over a week of rest, so I think I'll be able to work in some cardio without interfering with recovery.

My question is regarding the assistance work. There are suggestions for both strength and body building type assistance work. I'm not interested in the body building, but I also don't want to spend too much time on the strength because my main goal is fat loss and I don't want to be in the gym for 2 hours. Facilitating my fat loss, I partake in high rep isolation work on machines to deplete muscle glycogen so that I can cycle my carbs. So I would like people's input. Take the deadlift day. I wouldn't mind some direct assistance work such as rack pulls or rows, but I do want to make my workout as efficient as possible. What's the minimum amount of assistance work I should do before moving on to the high rep work, which itself might be considered assistance work because I would be working similar muscles as the deadlift (pulldowns, curls, back extensions). Also, on a similar note, how much of the high rep work should I be doing to sufficiently deplete muscle glycogen?