Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (ommmmaggie) page

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (ommmmaggie)

Shop Now
    Tomorrow is my 37th birthday and I want this year to be my healthiest yet! Here's a bit of my history:

My senior year in high school I went vegetarian and stayed that way for 17 years, including two attempts to go vegan, both of which crashed miserably after a few months (thank goodness!). Still, over the years I developed a number of nagging, chronic health issues: increasingly painful PMS, depression, anxiety & panic attacks, weight gain, lots of colds & flus, chronic tonsilitis, and ovarian cysts. In 2006 a friend gave me "Nourishing Traditions" and reading it changed my life. I went omnivore again and started eating higher amounts of fat. In 2008 I was diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerance and then I ended my long-term relationship. Due to depression and the diagnosis, I inadvertently went pretty much primal and experienced a remarkable difference in my health. PMS got much less painful, mood got much more stable, I got sick far less often, and weight gain got much easier (I dropped 40 pounds in about 3 months without thinking about it and it's pretty much stayed off).

Slowly I have gotten back to eating a very compromised diet - I've undergone a ton of stress over the last year which I think burned out my adrenals but good. After dumping the things in my life that were causing the most stress I'm finally feeling more even-keeled and energetic, and ready to take back my health! I bought "The Primal Blueprint" but accidentally left it at home (I'm working across the country on the east coast for the next two months) so I'm going to have to go by the info on the website - good thing there's plenty of that.

Here's my food plan:
    Meat, veggies & fat: at every meal
    Nuts/butters: 1x/day
    Fruit: 3x/week (too much and I get addicted)
    Eggs: 1x/week (tend to make me crave allergic foods & sugar, and give me cellulite - weird, right? oh well...)
    Sweet treat: 1x/week (a small piece of dark chocolate or a small macaroon)
    Water: 1.5-2 liters/day
    Other drinks: decaf coffee w/coconut milk, kombucha (1x/week), red wine (1 glass/week)

The food is going to be easier than the exercise...I'm really out of practice. But here goes:
    45-minute walk/runs, 3x/week
    Burpees in my hotel room, 10 min 2x/week
    Sprints, 10 min 1x/week
    Allowed to substitute one yoga class for one walk/run per week (I know it's not primal but I love my yoga!)

And...that's my plan. I would love workout suggestions and any support/advice anyone might have to keep me going. In particular, I have been really bad about sugar lately and I am anticipating a nasty 7-10 days!

Edit: Oops, I forgot some stats. I'll try to get a before picture up soon.
    Current stats:
    I'm 5'10", and weigh around 150 lbs (haven't weighed myself lately), size 8 is fitting me just barely, esp hips, thighs and butt are tight.
    Measurements: 37-31.5-43.5
    Run a 5K is 37 min

Goal: 135-140 lbs with size 8 fitting loosely and comfortably (I don't want to replace my whole wardrobe), eating and exercising like Mrs. Grok!
    Goal measurements: 36-29-39
    Goal 5K time: 30 min or less
    Last edited by ommmmaggie; 05-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Daily 5/10:

(have felt uncomfortably, bloatedly full since just after breakfast - thinking maybe the Indian food I had last night had wheat in it)

B: 3 egg yolks (last of 'em), 2 chicken apple sausages, 3/4c sauerkraut, 4oz kombucha
    L: 1 1/2c salad w/chopped ham & conventional dressing, 2 cups decaf w/flavored Coffeemate (argh!)
    D: 1/2c spiced cashews, 8oz Bragg's ACV drink, 1/2c ea apple & blueberries sprinkled w/coconut & pecans, drizzled w/coconut milk kefir (I cannot account for this meal...not at all)

Exercise: 2 rounds of quick Sun Salutations (yoga-fied Burpees), 5 min each.
    Last edited by ommmmaggie; 05-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Daily 5/11

B: 1 chicken apple sausage sauteed in CO, 1/4 each Bubbie's sauerkraut and bread-n-butter pickles, 2 cups decaf tea w/coconut milk creamer

L: large salad w/shredded pork, 1/4c spiced cashews, 7 blueberries & a swig of kefir

S: 1/2 apple w/3T almond butter

D: 1 bunch of asparagus, roasted and 1 chicken apple sausage

Not getting to the exercise though...help! I need some motivation or something.

Daily: 5/12/10

B: 1 chicken apple sausage, 1/4 red bell pepper (wasn't really hungry but had to take my supplements and I get nauseous if taken on an empty stomach)

L: large salad w/smoked salmon, 1/4c spiced cashews

S: 1/2 apple w/2T almond butter

D: 3/4c shredded pork, 2/3 of a sweet potato w/2T coconut oil & sea salt

I'm definitely eating less than usual, and feeling full longer!

Daily 5/13/10

B: 1 chicken apple sausage (do I sense a theme here?), 1/3 yam

L: large salad w/shredded pork, 1/4c spiced cashews

D: 1 1/2c homemade hamburger helper - this is a super easy recipe and my favorite go-to for easy dinners on the road. I saute onions in coconut oil over medium heat, then add a bunch of chopped greens and let wilt. Then I add 1lb ground beef and let that start to brown, and after five minutes or so I add 1/2 a jar of organic tomato sauce and a few sprinkles of sea salt. Bring to a heavy simmer, then turn down, cover and leave alone for 15 minutes. Voila! Easy peasy dinner.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Daily 5/14/10

B: half-caf latte w/soymilk
    L: small salad w/chopped ham, 1/4 french fries w/mayo
    S: raw organic cookie (15g sugar), 1/2 apple, 2T almond butter, 1/2 raw seed cracker
    D: 1 1/2 cup leftover hamburger helper
    S: 1c berries w/2T shredded coconut, 2T pecans, 1/2c kefir

I'm working toward a morning fast here, which is how I used to eat - in college it was quite common for me to eat nothing until 2 or 3pm except for some coffee and milk in the morning, and I felt fine that way. Over the last several years I developed horrible night hunger if I skipped meals, but I suspect that had to do with eating too many starches and not enough protein or fat. My biggest concern about skipping meals is that I have to take supplements three times a day and they make me nauseous if I eat them on an empty stomach. Today I forgot to take my morning supplements until lunchtime so I don't know if just a latte would prevent the nausea.
    Last edited by ommmmaggie; 05-15-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: late-night snack

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Daily 5/15/10

B: 1 1/2c homemade hamburger helper, soy half-caf latte

L: 3/4c chicken, 3/4c broccoli slaw, 1 thick slice grilled eggplant, 4 pieces sauteed plaintain

S: 2 small macaroons, 4 strawberries

D: corned beef & cabbage w/ mashed carrots and colcannon (restaurant meal, ate 1/2), hard cider (drank about 4 oz)

Walked around Annapolis for 2 1/2 hours.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Dailies 5/16 & 5/17:

5/16
    Woke up feeling okay, but by midday I clearly had a cold and my body was really tired. And really hungry!
    B: can't remember, I don't think I ate much in the morning - did have a decaf latte though
    L: turkey salad w/cranberries & walnuts
    S: 1 apple w/almond butter (1/4c), coupla slurps of coconut milk kefir
    D: 1c homemade hamburger helper

Woke up in the middle of the night with night sweats - first time in a long time! Had to eat (a chicken apple sausage) to get back to sleep.

5/17
    Feeling a little better today, and much better by tonight. Really bloaty all day, though.
    B: 1 chicken apple sausage, raw mineral-rich crust w/1T ea almond butter & coconut oil (I'm going to start mixing the two so I get more good fats in) topped with about 12 blueberries; 16oz half-caf soy latte (I know I KNOW! I'm getting a working coffeemaker on Wed so will stop with the soy)
    L: medium salad w/ a little chopped ham, 1c French fries w/mayo, 12oz decaf coffee
    S: GT Dave's kombucha, raw chocolate bar
    D: 1 chicken wing baked w/coconut oil & sea salt, 1c roasted chard
    S: chicken apple sausage, 1/2c berries

P.S. I have finished my chicken apple sausages and won't buy more for a while. Bit of a crutch.

P.P.S. Hello? Anyone out there?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Daily 5/18

B: half-caf soy latte

L: 1 chicken wing w/skin, 1/2c greens, 1/2 avocado, a few cherry tomatoes; 1/2 raw mineral-rich crust w/ almond butter-coconut oil mix, topped w/ 8 blackberries

D: 2/3c smoked salmon, 6 bread-n-butter pickle slices

Exercise: 30 min Power Vinyasa Yoga (also did 30 min yesterday) - does it count as lifting heavy things if I'm lifting my body weight? As in Sun Salutations - Vinyasa Flow has lots of Sun Salutations, which are very similar to Burpees. Anyone know?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Daily 5/19 & 5/20

5/19
    B: half-caf coffee w/coconut milk creamer
    L: 1/2 raw mineral-rich crust w/coconut oil/almond butter mix; chicken wing and greens; 1/2c spiced cashews
    D: chicken wing, greens, 1/2 acorn squash w/sea salt & coconut oil

Exercise: 75 min Power Vinyasa Yoga

5/20:
    B: 1/2 acorn squash w/sea salt & coconut oil and crumbs from raw mineral-rich crust, half-caf soy latte
    L: 2c beef & vegetable stew
    D: 1c beef & vegetable stew; apple w/almond butter, coconut oil & cinnamon mixed

Exercise: 75 min Power Vinyasa Yoga

I feel like I'm just barely starting to focus on getting enough fat in my diet again, and it really seems to be taking the edge off my hunger. Now if I can just stop the boredom eating! Also, since I am living alone while away for work, I often make a big dish of something and then eat it for days on end until it's gone. Is that a bad thing? I know it keeps me from having as much variety, but it's really hard to cook for one and keep it varied. Well, salad isn't so hard...

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast