Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increasingly short TOM cycle page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Increasingly short TOM cycle

Shop Now
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed any changes in menstruation since going Primal?

My period arrived today - one and a half weeks early. For the last three / four months my cycle has been three weeks. Seems like it's getting shorter.

I have a bit of a history with irregular periods:

- When I turned twenty I started getting my period every two weeks. I went for scans had found I had cysts on my ovaries, so I went on the pill. I came off it (about 7 years ago) and haven't been regular since.

- When I was veggie I went through stretches (3-4 months) where I didn't get TOM at all, and people always attributed it to my low weight, but as soon as I started eating meat in July it came back to a monthly cycle.

But now I seem to be reverting back to where I was when I was 20...

Has anyone else noticed things changing around as they've shifted their diet? Thanks!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Less estrogen and more progesterone it sounds like especially if the cycle is less painful
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Less estrogen and more progesterone it sounds like especially if the cycle is less painful
    Interesting... so it might be a good thing? Seems like a very short cycle... But yeah, no pain, and significantly reduced cravings...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yeah probably I've heard of women who use progesterone for that reason(after years of taking various doctor prescribed estrogen)
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Strange... will look into that more!

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    are you fertility charting? 3-6 months of charts will give you a lot more information in terms of what's really going on.

katie singer's garden of fertility is a great book to get you started.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Yep. I lost my period for 4 months in the fall by eating zero carb. It came back but in increasingly shorter cycles and is now hovering around 24/25 days, sometimes 21. I recently had my hormones checked and I have low estrogen so that would point to Derpamix being right on.

Side note: My cycle was like clockwork from ages 13-19 until I went on the pill for 3 months and it has never been regular since. Oops. Anywhere from 30-45 days, but never as short as it is now...

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Mine has gotten slightly longer since starting Primal, hovering around a 30 day average though. I was clockwork 28 days before hvaing kids, now fairly erratic and I panic that I'm pregnant again about once a year. Are you tracking your cycle lengths to see if there's any consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    are you fertility charting? 3-6 months of charts will give you a lot more information in terms of what's really going on.

katie singer's garden of fertility is a great book to get you started.
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Mine has gotten slightly longer since starting Primal, hovering around a 30 day average though. I was clockwork 28 days before hvaing kids, now fairly erratic and I panic that I'm pregnant again about once a year. Are you tracking your cycle lengths to see if there's any consistency?
    I always keep note of when TOM comes so that I'll be prepared for the following month. A completely redundant process, since I'm never regular!

I havent missed a period since July, but since October the cycle is getting progressively shorter...

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    keeping track of when you menstruate isn't charting. Charting goes a lot farther -- body temperature, cervical placement, cervical mucus, and there are other things as well, which can give an overall picture of what the situation may be.

seriously, it's worth trying for a bit -- and you'll see how a lot of things fit in hand-in-hand in terms of women's health and fertility charting. it's really great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast