Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increasingly short TOM cycle page 2

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    All I know, is mine is pain free vs cramps from the bowels of hell previously. Mine has been getting longer. 35 days this time.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    keeping track of when you menstruate isn't charting. Charting goes a lot farther -- body temperature, cervical placement, cervical mucus, and there are other things as well, which can give an overall picture of what the situation may be.

seriously, it's worth trying for a bit -- and you'll see how a lot of things fit in hand-in-hand in terms of women's health and fertility charting. it's really great.
    It sounds interesting... I'll look into it once a few other things in my life has stabilised a bit

You don't think I should be worried that I'm getting my period so frequently? It just seems wrong that I've gone from one extreme to the other.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't know. I don't know what's going on and whether or not you should be worried.

For me, it's something to pay attention to, but I don't really know what is happening. The charting can help you better discern what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I don't know. I don't know what's going on and whether or not you should be worried.

For me, it's something to pay attention to, but I don't really know what is happening. The charting can help you better discern what is happening.
    Okay. Thnks
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Mine did all the opposite: longer between periods, just as heavy, sometimes lasts just as long as before, sometimes a few days less. It went up proportionate to increased hair-growth, muscle, balanced mood and better blood iron profiles, so I assume it's to do with hormonal balances. Higher testosterone = slightly longer cycles. No more menstrual pains, either.

If yours are frequent, of irregular quantity and painful you may want to look out for other symptoms of low testosterone. Plenty of studies have shown that increases in testosterone levels benefit most women, suggesting that most women are actually not producing enough of the stuff.

As for how to increase it: can't help there. I know that if I avoid all veg oils (bar olive and coconut), limit "raw" sugars and eat high fat my body shows signs of high testosterone and that, when I eat out more often and wind up having "hidden" veg oil, sugars and soy the period cramps come back and I start feeling tired and grumpy. But that's pretty basic and most people are already doing that, so it beats me if you aren't seeing higher testosterone from it and I am. Maybe it's to do with minerals or offal intake or something? *shrugs*

However it stands, if it IS low testosterone, you may want to try and change it.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Mine did all the opposite: longer between periods, just as heavy, sometimes lasts just as long as before, sometimes a few days less. It went up proportionate to increased hair-growth, muscle, balanced mood and better blood iron profiles, so I assume it's to do with hormonal balances. Higher testosterone = slightly longer cycles. No more menstrual pains, either.

If yours are frequent, of irregular quantity and painful you may want to look out for other symptoms of low testosterone. Plenty of studies have shown that increases in testosterone levels benefit most women, suggesting that most women are actually not producing enough of the stuff.

As for how to increase it: can't help there. I know that if I avoid all veg oils (bar olive and coconut), limit "raw" sugars and eat high fat my body shows signs of high testosterone and that, when I eat out more often and wind up having "hidden" veg oil, sugars and soy the period cramps come back and I start feeling tired and grumpy. But that's pretty basic and most people are already doing that, so it beats me if you aren't seeing higher testosterone from it and I am. Maybe it's to do with minerals or offal intake or something? *shrugs*

However it stands, if it IS low testosterone, you may want to try and change it.
    Thanks kochin What's annoying about these things is that so many different illnesses etc have the same symptoms.

Mine aren't remotely painful... The last two were complete surprises cos I felt nothing. My cravings are also signficantly reduced: I used to be a monster when I had my TOM, these last two times I've craved a bit of sugar, but that was it.

I actually noted to my mum last week that I don't have hair on my legs anymore! I associated that with giving up soy though...

- Ray Peat

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I'm on a 26/27 day cycle. Was longer before. The length has also been reduced. Super heavy 2nd day, but lasts only about 4 days. No pain before or during. Cravings hit roughly 4-5 days before, but are definitely more manageable.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It sounds interesting... I'll look into it once a few other things in my life has stabilised a bit

You don't think I should be worried that I'm getting my period so frequently? It just seems wrong that I've gone from one extreme to the other.
    I'd say start charting now, just body temps, as said once your cycle looks healthy, will be a good indicator of overall health.

Wouldn't stress too much about frequency as you aren't in the best place healthwise currently.

My partner had 2-3 week cycles in the midst of her thyroid issues, these gradually lengthened over about 6-12 months and got to a 4 week std, then got longer and erratic where she kind of had 6-7 weekers with the occassional 2 weeker and then restabilised to 4 weeks +/- a few days, for the last 2 years she has been quite regular, but every 6 months or so they get a bit of a wobble early or late and this usually coincides with an improvement in her symptoms.

I interpret that as part of the healing, as soon as some part of her metabolism resumes normal function, everything else needs to realign itself. She just had one of those last month, sure enough her period is a week late and 2 weeks later she says I have a strange feeling, like my head has just been cleared, there's more space in there and I feel calmer, it's been 2 weeks now and her head's still great.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It could also be related to homocystine levels, cholesterol levels (which we know are high), and also trigylcerides, and a myriad of other factors. Hence: charting.

Until the charts are "in" -- it's really a lot of speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I'd say start charting now, just body temps, as said once your cycle looks healthy, will be a good indicator of overall health.

Wouldn't stress too much about frequency as you aren't in the best place healthwise currently.

My partner had 2-3 week cycles in the midst of her thyroid issues, these gradually lengthened over about 6-12 months and got to a 4 week std, then got longer and erratic where she kind of had 6-7 weekers with the occassional 2 weeker and then restabilised to 4 weeks +/- a few days, for the last 2 years she has been quite regular, but every 6 months or so they get a bit of a wobble early or late and this usually coincides with an improvement in her symptoms.

I interpret that as part of the healing, as soon as some part of her metabolism resumes normal function, everything else needs to realign itself.
    I like that way of thinking

I'll start the charting as soon as I can...

Thanks for the input!

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast