Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to consume intestinal flora? page

Traveller is offline Senior Member

What's the best way to consume intestinal flora?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

I'm eating lots of fat, CO, broccoli and brussel sprouts, but for some reason I'm constipated.

I read that if you're passing small, hard 'rocks' once or twice a week (which is me) then you're probably lacking instestinal or gut flora.

My questions are: what is the best way to consume this gut flora? Some people get it through yoghurt, kefir etc, but which one is the most effective? And how often should I eat it?

Thanks!

Traveller.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    From my personal experience, yogurt has worked best. I've eaten fermented foods often (sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, etc) and yogurt seems to be the best in combination with these. I've also taken pills, and they're worthless. Also try adding magnesium to your supplement list if you have hard stools.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Thanks Damiana.

What sort of yoghurt, exactly?
    And about the magnesium, according to lists of magnesium rich food, I've been eating lots of it. Dark choc, spinach, broccoli....so I'm confused as to why it's not working. It's so frustrating when my body doesn't seem to work normally!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking a wild guess here, but I know that spinach has a high oxalate content, which means you might not be getting as much magnesium absorbed into your body as you think you're eating. I take 400mg of magnesium citrate daily, and I eat a tablespoon is miso + a cup of Fage Greek yogurt.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

danhaych is offline Member
    Don't know how yoghurt does the trick, I think most or all the bacteria are killed by stomach acid...

Maybe enteric coated pills? A nutrition lecturer I asked once said to take them before meals to reduce the chance of the bacteria coming into contact with too much stomach acid...
    Last edited by danhaych; 04-20-2013 at 06:07 AM.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    The beneficial bacteria in yogurt are transitional, they only aid digestion as they are passing thru. Kefir and fermented foods have different strains of cultures which (some) will colonize in the gut and help to fight off opportunistic bacteria (bad guys), which can boost immunity as well as aid in digestion and elimination.

The best option is to add kefir, if you do dairy, and/or fermented (raw) foods. Aside from that there are some very good brands of probiotic capsules on the market. Compare what is in them to choose the best option.

Additional magnesium can really help. There is a product called Calm which is a a powder,simply add to water and drink once a day. Very easy natural way to keep things moving if you are having trouble,

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I see you've been on PB for about 1 year. Is the constipation recent, or how long have you had it. Please give more information. What is your exercise level and weight?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm eating lots of fat, CO, broccoli and brussel sprouts, but for some reason I'm constipated.

I read that if you're passing small, hard 'rocks' once or twice a week (which is me) then you're probably lacking instestinal or gut flora.

My questions are: what is the best way to consume this gut flora? Some people get it through yoghurt, kefir etc, but which one is the most effective? And how often should I eat it?

Thanks!

Traveller.
    Have a whole foods near you? Go get a product called Inner-Eco -- it's the most powerful and most natural probiotic I've found. It works wonders and you only have to take around a tablespoon a day.

One tablespoon is probably the same probiotic count as dozens of cartons of yogurt. It's something like 1 trillion cultures in a tablespoon.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Go on a paleo version of the GAPS diet. You could also start eating bone broth based soup + probiotic foods. I also supplement w/ Bio Kult
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Cryptocode, are you going by how long I've been a member on here? I started PB about 6-7 months ago, but fell of the wagon big time. I started again only about a month ago. And I think I've been constipated since then.
    Exercise? The bare minimum of my walking is 2.4 km walks 3 times a week, but I usually do a bit more then that. I do karate twice a week which is seriously strenuous, and sometimes an hours bike ride on saturdays.
    I weigh about 114 lb. I think.

I'll pick up some kefir, and see if I can find this inner eco, and Calm. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast