Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead squats kicked my ass page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Overhead squats kicked my ass

Primal Fuel
    I've squatted Rippetoe-style up to 125lbs. The other day I overhead squatted 35lbs. Holy moly! I fell down once. I could barely do it. I think I did about 10 reps. I'm so sore I can barely lie down to do bench press and it hurts to cough or laugh. Overhead squats kicked my butt. The basic big lifts have a big hole in them as far as core strength goes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Kind of humbling, right?? I sheepishly admit to never having heard of them until I read this comment:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1095213
    and I looked at some videos and started doing them. I love them and can actually only do the overhead kind, not the regular kind (bad knees).

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Kind of humbling, right?? I sheepishly admit to never having heard of them until I read this comment:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1095213
    and I looked at some videos and started doing them. I love them and can actually only do the overhead kind, not the regular kind (bad knees).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWL...e_gdata_player

You can't have knee problems with back squats, but not OH squats. If you do, it's a form issue.

Sbhikes, how has your press progressed, and do you have good shoulder flexibility? Most OH squat problems are due to form and/or flexibility issues.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You can't have knee problems with back squats, but not OH squats. If you do, it's a form issue.
    I think it's just something about the weight being behind me as opposed to over me. I don't think there's anything wrong with my form but I'll reassess it.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I think it's just something about the weight being behind me as opposed to over me. I don't think there's anything wrong with my form but I'll reassess it.
    Your knees work identically with back squats and OH squats. Definitely check your form.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i had a read up about these as i reckon any exercise holding a weight out above your head is way harder than with a much heavier barbell over your shoulders. i think it must change the centre of gravity. there is an article here in my fave t-nation
    T NATION | Two Kinds of Squats You're Not Doing

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I took a few olympic lifting classes and at first I thought I could OH squat since I'd only tried with a broomstick. With actual weight over my head I realized it wasn't over my head, but out in front of me. I wasn't flexible enough to stay nearly upright enough.

There was also this complete stick of a young man, and he could squat down, bar overhead, ass to grass, no back bend, with his ankles practically touching. He had a hell of a time getting back up though.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Several shoulder injuries and a ruptured pec will prevent me for ever having the ROM to even attempt this lift.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My presses no longer progress, but I have been hurt and sick for a while. My problem with overhead squat is lack of core strength. If that bar went slightly forward or back, look out! It's coming down!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I've found that for OHS I need to do lots of reps with a lighter weight to warm up. My max OHS is about 90 lbs but there are days where I can't stick 55 until I'm on rep 10 or so. Cleans and even (power) snatches I can get up to weight pretty quick but OHS takes me forever to find my groove. So don't give up if you keep dropping the bar - sometimes it takes a while to find the right positioning but once your body knows the feel of the right spot and can find it again you'll find the weight you can use goes up pretty quick. I love OHS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast