Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overhead squats kicked my ass page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    flexibility issues (or mobility, as you have to call it now)
    The buzzword has changed, but flexibility and mobility do actually have distinct definitions.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Tried the OHS yesterday with a living room chair...definitely tougher than it looks.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, but I'm getting better at it. The key is to feel like you are trying to tear the bar apart. I think they are fun.

Also fun is split jerks which I did for the first time today. At first I was really wobbly but then I got the hang of it. Empty bar, of course. I'm taking an olympic lifting class for the fun of it.

The thing is, I am older (48) and have never lifted free weights until now. So these are all new movements for this old body. The only thing I have asked of it for 48 years is to walk around, carry a backpack, do some light housework, run or bicycle. Plus I've had a desk job for over a decade now (before that I had other kinds of jobs.) So yeah, anything new like this is going to be hard and isn't really a question of "you're not doing your back squats right."
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I bought a 1" diameter solid wood 6' flagpole that is useful for many exercises. Such as this.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I am 23 and doing an overhead squat with an unweighted bar was hella difficult. Maybe once it's a natural movement for you it's as easy as back squats, but a back squat feels so much more natural to begin with.

The guy instructing us also suggested getting a broomstick or something similar to practice everyday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123