Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead squats kicked my ass page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think the OHS is pretty badass, as is the entire snatch. I am taking an Olympic lifting class. I don't have much hope to actually being able to do a snatch, but it is fun to learn for now. The lightest they have for me is the bar plus two skinny 5lb plates that lift the bar to the proper height off the floor. I had to use the curl bars to practice the overhead squat part. I doubt I'll be able to put the whole thing together.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

little vase is offline Senior Member
    You will be able to do it!

I was just watching this great video last night. This guy is such a great teacher. There are three parts. I'm going to start practicing at home with just the bar as he suggests.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    In addition to core strength (which is a huge factor), it's probably also your thoracic mobility. Not many people have the ability to hold the bar over and extend their back as much as they need to in order to hold the weight overhead. I warm up for my Olympic lifting workouts by laying with my back on a foam roller and extending my hands above my head. It REALLY helps, I have become much more flexible. I believe 100% that you have the ability to snatch, just keep up the good work!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I bought a 6' long 1" diameter flagpole that I use for upper body stretching of all sorts. Hold it with your arms wide and bring it down behind your back. Try and bring your arms closer together to find that minimum distance.

Now I feel like I'm not alone anymore on this. I'll just keep plugging along and expect to slowly continue to improve.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Core strength is not the problem. The mechanics of OH squats and low bar back squats are identical. The only difference is you're holding the bar vs the bar resting on your back. If the bar is moving back and forth, it's an issue of form, shoulder flexibility, or shoulder/trap strength.

I don't think the mechanics are identical. My back must be more upright than on the low bar back squat. Also, I need core strength to keep my balance and yes, a certain amount of mobility to keep my back in the right position so that the bar does not go forward or backward of my center. None of that is an issue with the low bar squat.

I find the high pulls are also a challenge even with just 55lbs. I am just not that coordinated or athletic. Telling my body to do something and having it do it is a challenge. Still, it's kinda fun to do these more athletic lifts.

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Core strength is not the problem. The mechanics of OH squats and low bar back squats are identical. The only difference is you're holding the bar vs the bar resting on your back. If the bar is moving back and forth, it's an issue of form, shoulder flexibility, or shoulder/trap strength.

I can't comment on the mechanics being identical as I don't think they are as your more upright in the overhead squat but I do agree that if you are struggling with the bar once it moves back or forth then it def is a shoulder flexibility/upper back strength issue, not a core issue. It's bloody hard work holding it up there and I struggle because I know my shoulders and upper back are my weakest parts. Your abs aren't holding the bar up there, its your shoulders and upper back.

Well, I am getting better at them. I've practiced them a few times and already feel much more confident with them, less likely to get myself into unrecoverable situations.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    totally! the OHS is so damn technical... the flexibility issues (or mobility, as you have to call it now) can't be understated.

i fucking love it, though.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Females, for the most part, shouldn't have problems with getting the form of this lift because we naturally have more flexibility in the lats.

If you think these are way harder than back squats, you're not doing back squats right.

Maybe you should have started with a piece of pvc or something with less weight?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast