Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: People with hypothyroid-- carb question! page 5

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My goal with my Doc. is to reach 98.6 at some time of the day every day and then he says I will then likely stay a little closer in that area once my T3 is optimally prescribed. Still hypo with all the hypo symptoms at the moment, but improving. He has many patients who have significantly improved, feeling really great when they reach that goal. I also find it interesting that many times during the day I can take my husbands temperature and he is exactly 98.6. Me, often a full degree or more lower. I do think this figure is a good indicator of metabolism/health etc. I can feel my energy rising with the rising temperature, and get spacy and tired when it is lower. Others may feel fine, but for me it is a hypo indicator.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Seeing as everyone is calling out temps, mine generally sits in the range of 35.8C (96.5F) to 36.7C (98F), that's first thing AM, and max in late afternoon, I expect it's probably even lower at melatonin peak around 4am.
    My resting heart rate is at 56 currently, generally ranges between 52-58 bpm.

I'm only average fit, no supreme athelete by any means, but can maintain a hard working pace all day that generally leaves many younger guys gasping, may need to check heart rate when working, hmmm.
    I don't generally feel as cold as others, wear lighter clothing, but also tolerate heat quite well.

Doesn't feel like I have any signs of being Hypothyroid, never really had any bloods tested, so couldn't say where I am or where I've been on that count, fully intend to get a baseline at some point, just got to get around to it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Seeing as everyone is calling out temps, mine generally sits in the range of 35.8C (96.5F) to 36.7C (98F), that's first thing AM, and max in late afternoon, I expect it's probably even lower at melatonin peak around 4am.
    My resting heart rate is at 56 currently, generally ranges between 52-58 bpm.

I'm only average fit, no supreme athelete by any means, but can maintain a hard working pace all day that generally leaves many younger guys gasping, may need to check heart rate when working, hmmm.
    I don't generally feel as cold as others, wear lighter clothing, but also tolerate heat quite well.

Doesn't feel like I have any signs of being Hypothyroid, never really had any bloods tested, so couldn't say where I am or where I've been on that count, fully intend to get a baseline at some point, just got to get around to it.
    Wow, interesting... Is that oral or under pit Omni?

I would think that tolerance to heat and cold actually indicates a very healthy thyroid.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

phigment is offline Senior Member
    My thyroid test are all over the map. Sometimes they are high sometimes they are low. I do know when I donate blood or plasma I generally drink warm water before they take my temp our it is to low. Drinking ice water will make me run for a coat for a couple of minutes.

I also live in a warm climate but my temperature doesn't really go up unless I am sick.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Wow, interesting... Is that oral or under pit Omni?

I would think that tolerance to heat and cold actually indicates a very healthy thyroid.
    That's oral, under arm is even less.
    I always had good heat tolerance, but since going primal the cold side has improved immensly.

That's oral, under arm is even less.
    I always had good heat tolerance, but since going primal the cold side has improved immensly.
    What version of Primal are you doing? LCHF?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    What version of Primal are you doing? LCHF?
    I don't do any grains,
    I do eat a small amount of mixed legumes, and have sweet and regular potato maybe twice/week, maybe a couple of handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit daily, no dairy except full fat yoghurt.
    Other than that the all meat, veg and fruit is open season, I just eat to satiety.
    I am around mid range, probably in the 100-200g carbs, I've done a few rough calc's just for interests sake in the past, but sometimes it could me even more or less, I don't strictly monitor this.

I gradually drifted into the 20/4 IF, where I have been for a few months now, not strictly, but most days that's what I do, but I do knock back a can of coconut cream with coffee in the morning, so that's a big whack of fat to start the day.

I didn't have any obvious symptoms when I started, thought I was pretty healthy, but about 3 months in I noticed some significant changes.
    Night sweats, lifelong story, now gone.
    BO underarm, feet etc, gone.
    Cold extremities, fingers, toes, gone.
    Anxiety/depression gone.
    There's probably others, but point is I thought that was just me, now I realise that I really was sick and just didn't realise it.
    So when I hear of people with overt expression of disease, then I imagine they are a lot sicker than I was, I have come to the conclusion that slow and steady is the best approach.
    6 months to transition diet, then a year or two in mid range paleo just to let the body heal before you go hard core low carb if you feel you need to.

It took my partner 6 full years to heal her autoimmune hyperthyroid with diet and a raft of suppliments, maybe we could have cut a year or two by going full paleo from the start, but as far as our diet goes it was pretty healthy outside of the grains, nevertheless, the point is healing is a long term prospect and just jumping between protocols doesn't helping at all.

I'd be wary of any hormone supplimentation unless your symptoms and testing can really confirm a thyroid condition, even then consider it to be a short term support. Hormone support is often misguided and supplimentation often does more harm than good, it is highly unlikely that the thyroid is deficient in most cases, there is usually a much deeper underlying cause which needs to be rectified.
    Trying to push your body around will never work, it's like playing chess with the chess Grand Master, your body will counter any move you make and thwart you, the key is to settle into a comfortable place and start listening to what your body is asking for, when you give your body what it needs, it will fix everything, but the changes will be progressive and not always in the order expected.

Stress management and nutrition go hand in hand, they compliment one another and the sum is far greater than the parts,
    if you still the body then you can still the mind and vice versa.
    When you come to a place and see that stress is not an external force, but an internal response driven by an infantile ego, it is the narcissist within all of us, then you develop the ability to observe this curious little entity and how petty it can be, you can then begin to consider some of these behaviours you have and re evaluate if they are indeed appropriate or if they need to be modified. Most of us are still driven by behaviours perfected in childhood and they served us well, but the world has moved on, are they still appropriate now?
    As you still the mind and endless chatter of the ego, then you start to hear the subtle signals your body is sending out.

Once you are eating well and a good mid range, high variety paleo is fine, then any further disection of diet is just causing stress and wasting energy.
    Focus on other aspects of your being, you've got the whole yoga thing going on, what about some meditation, self reflection?

Don't know your whole story, but you have said Vegan with high cholesterol, now you are Paleo with higher cholesterol, also saw a mention of 12 months, does that mean you have been vegan, paleo VLC, then high carb, then eat all you want in that time?
    Why did you depart the Vegan life?
    Maybe time for a breather and some quiet time?

AMC sorry bout the Hijack.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I find body temp CAN be useful... but only in conjunction with other labs and symptom sets. I actually believe that micromanaging one value to a very narrow range (more narrow than accepted in general) can ultimately be detrimental.

If you know your body temp in conjunction with all those other tests, only then can body temp now be used as a proxy for those values between times where you redo the whole set of labs IMO.

AMC, also apologizing for the derailment! Also, warning - probably tmi about to come.

I don't do any grains,
    I do eat a small amount of mixed legumes, and have sweet and regular potato maybe twice/week, maybe a couple of handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit daily, no dairy except full fat yoghurt.
    Other than that the all meat, veg and fruit is open season, I just eat to satiety.
    I am around mid range, probably in the 100-200g carbs, I've done a few rough calc's just for interests sake in the past, but sometimes it could me even more or less, I don't strictly monitor this.

I gradually drifted into the 20/4 IF, where I have been for a few months now, not strictly, but most days that's what I do, but I do knock back a can of coconut cream with coffee in the morning, so that's a big whack of fat to start the day.

I didn't have any obvious symptoms when I started, thought I was pretty healthy, but about 3 months in I noticed some significant changes.
    Night sweats, lifelong story, now gone.
    BO underarm, feet etc, gone.
    Cold extremities, fingers, toes, gone.
    Anxiety/depression gone.
    There's probably others, but point is I thought that was just me, now I realise that I really was sick and just didn't realise it.
    So when I hear of people with overt expression of disease, then I imagine they are a lot sicker than I was, I have come to the conclusion that slow and steady is the best approach.
    6 months to transition diet, then a year or two in mid range paleo just to let the body heal before you go hard core low carb if you feel you need to.

It took my partner 6 full years to heal her autoimmune hyperthyroid with diet and a raft of suppliments, maybe we could have cut a year or two by going full paleo from the start, but as far as our diet goes it was pretty healthy outside of the grains, nevertheless, the point is healing is a long term prospect and just jumping between protocols doesn't helping at all.

I'd be wary of any hormone supplimentation unless your symptoms and testing can really confirm a thyroid condition, even then consider it to be a short term support. Hormone support is often misguided and supplimentation often does more harm than good, it is highly unlikely that the thyroid is deficient in most cases, there is usually a much deeper underlying cause which needs to be rectified.
    Trying to push your body around will never work, it's like playing chess with the chess Grand Master, your body will counter any move you make and thwart you, the key is to settle into a comfortable place and start listening to what your body is asking for, when you give your body what it needs, it will fix everything, but the changes will be progressive and not always in the order expected.

Stress management and nutrition go hand in hand, they compliment one another and the sum is far greater than the parts,
    if you still the body then you can still the mind and vice versa.
    When you come to a place and see that stress is not an external force, but an internal response driven by an infantile ego, it is the narcissist within all of us, then you develop the ability to observe this curious little entity and how petty it can be, you can then begin to consider some of these behaviours you have and re evaluate if they are indeed appropriate or if they need to be modified. Most of us are still driven by behaviours perfected in childhood and they served us well, but the world has moved on, are they still appropriate now?
    As you still the mind and endless chatter of the ego, then you start to hear the subtle signals your body is sending out.

Once you are eating well and a good mid range, high variety paleo is fine, then any further disection of diet is just causing stress and wasting energy.
    Focus on other aspects of your being, you've got the whole yoga thing going on, what about some meditation, self reflection?

Don't know your whole story, but you have said Vegan with high cholesterol, now you are Paleo with higher cholesterol, also saw a mention of 12 months, does that mean you have been vegan, paleo VLC, then high carb, then eat all you want in that time?
    Why did you depart the Vegan life?
    Maybe time for a breather and some quiet time?

AMC sorry bout the Hijack.
    Thanks for the long answer Omni. Firstly, the reason I asked about the body temp etc. is cos' I'm looking into that a lot at the moment and communicating with someone who's a bit of an expert (though that term is always relative) on the subject. I am never at a comfortable temperature: I'm either freezing or flushing and sweating furiously. My body temp is low, so hearing about you and NH interested me, as it's a different perspective on what I'm currently learning about. I just asked about your diet out of interest: thinking that maybe people who"run cold" do better on low carb. I don't plan on changing my diet again.

When you summarise my last year I certainly sound like a desperate individual..! Well, I am desperate I guess. Everything I've done in the health realm has been for my mental health. I suffer from pretty severe depression, insomnia, fatigue, and an ED. I've approached it from the psychological side, the spiritual side, the "I-don't-give-a-fuck" social side, and the physical side. I've done therapy, yoga, drugs, veganism, various spiritual practices (including meditation), primal. Therapy and yoga etc. have helped somewhat, the diets have been a disaster (the less said about the drugs the better.. )

I was convinced to give up veganism by a Paleo friend (I was menstruating, had no energy etc.) VLC "fixed" my energy problem, til I crashed. I kept pushing through, eating more fat and fewer carbs, til I fell apart in December.

The "eating a ton" thing was a real act of desperation: the only option I hadn't tried, and I actually think it's worked to a large degree. I have more energy, and feel a lot more accepting of myself. I'm currently trying to raise my body temp, and keeping warm is making me feel a lot happier. Weird! I'm like a different person these last few weeks. Chilled, relaxed and not emotionally invested (apart from Friday, when I freaked out about my cholesterol )

I agree I need to stop all this chopping and changing. It's not healthy. But, at the same time, I couldn't accept my depression. I had to try all this things because if I did just lie down and accept it I would have committed suicide cos' I can't live feeling that sad all the time (sorry tmi). There are too many people whose lives I'd ruin if I did that: i had / have to find a way to get better.

I'm done with the diet thing. I'm happy with the foods I eat (which are actually more than 90% primal, despite what some people may think), and I'm sick of thinking about it. I'm not going to eat spoons of coconut oil anymore. I'm done with having an ED, I'm accepting being 14lbs heavier.

What I'm doing now is keeping warm, being with people who love me, channelling my emotions and thoughts into my journal, doing my yoga, taking care of my body, continuing to educate myself. I happen to have a job I love, so that side is cool too. I'm not into meds (I don't even l like taking supps!) so unless I have to, I wont be taking them. To be honest, if I find out I do have a thyroid condition I'll be very relived, cos at least this is something concrete that would explain why I'm so depressed.

Sorry, what was teh question again?

Thanks for asking, I really appreciate your concern and support.

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345