Thread: Why coconut over other "nuts"? page

PrimalStudent is online now Senior Member

Why coconut over other "nuts"?

Shop Now
    I know coconut isn't technically a nut, but anyway... I've noticed that coconut (and coconut products) are super similar to macadamia (and macadamia products) nutritionally, apart from the trade-off of saturated to monosaturated fat. Why do people tend to feel they should limit the latter, but feel ok going bananas with the former?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Because some people have an irrational fear of natural occuring PUFA even when it comes in a form shown to promote health.

If your relatively low carb (as I have seen you post) with a healthy liver then naturally occurring PUFA is a non-issue.

If however your pounding various sugars, especially fructose, well lets just say PUFA and fructose don't play nice together in your body.

Check out how high nuts/seeds rank on this chart for nutrient density! http://ketopia.com/nutrient-density-...lalonde-ahs12/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-19-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Coconuts are tropical, which means the fat composition is mostly saturated. Other nuts contain fats that go rancid when in your body(which is a warm 98.7 degrees)

Other nuts contain some vitamin E, which helps to a limited extent to protect against the harmful affects of PUFA.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

PrimalStudent is online now Senior Member
    macadamias have almost no pufa, though, so why is that an issue?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It's not. Macadamias have far and away the best fat profile of any of the true nuts. But they're costy. If you have access to an affordable supply, chow down.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Coconut has lauric acid which is very similar to mother's milk.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Kool is offline Senior Member
    macadamia prices got me weeping while a whole fresh coconut can go for a dollar fifty

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Because some people have an irrational fear of natural occuring PUFA even when it comes in a form shown to promote health.

If your relatively low carb (as I have seen you post) with a healthy liver then naturally occurring PUFA is a non-issue.

If however your pounding various sugars, especially fructose, well lets just say PUFA and fructose don't play nice together in your body.

Check out how high nuts/seeds rank on this chart for nutrient density! Nutrient Density: Sticking To The Essentials - Mathieu Lalonde (AHS12) - Ketopia
    That Matt Lalonde video is such crap.

Look at the nutrition breakdown of macadamia nuts, an entire cup (1000cal) has only 100% of thiamin and Manganese, there is nothing else even over 50%. How is that nutrient dense? Plus nuts have them darned antinutriants so who knows how much stuff you are actually absorbing. Nuts are pretty pointless i unless you are in love with unsaturated fat.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Because I am allergic to tree nuts

Not allergic to coconut, a drupe, though.

But to answer your question, I think coconut product is more widely available. I have seen coconut oil, in both buttery and spray form. Coconut sugar. Coconut flour. Ever see all that in macadamia nut version? You get the gist.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Superior fatty acid profile + extremely cheap compared to other nuts like macadamia with better O3-O6 ratios.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."