Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein and constipation page

David is offline Senior Member

Protein and constipation

Primal Fuel
    I am having trouble with constipation when increasing the amount of protein from 60g to 130g. My stomach is bloated for a number of hours, too, when consuming more than 24g at a meal. Could it be I am having an allergic reaction tpo protein like some people do with grain or milk products? Should I stay on the low end of protein and reintroduce grain for fiber and relief rom constipation and a bloated stomach? I've increased fat intake and that helps a little, plus eat sauerkraut for good bacteria, hoping this would be the answer. Not much luck.

Any good solutions??

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried coconut oil? It really works for me. =)

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're getting used to the new diet. And why in the world would you add grains for fiber... you don't actually need fiber at all, give it some time for your digestive system to adjust.

Well, I've been on Paleo and PB for 2 years. So, increasing my protein has created the problem. I'm just getting a little frustrated so I am about to resort to grain, maybe more fuit, eating a ton of veggies every day can cut it either...like the old days.

Guess i will increase my cocnout oil intake and see what happens. Thanks.

mrsb2484 is offline Junior Member
    I would try adding a high quality probiotic. The sauerkraut isn't going to have the same kind of strains as a good probiotic. I've struggled with constipation my whole life and it wasn't until I figured out my food allergies and cut out those items and also started taking a probiotic and a calcium/magnesium/vit D supplement. (this combo is ideal and helps draw water to the bowels making elimination easier).
    Hope that helps.

mrsb: What is your source of probiotic?

thanks!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Get some greek yoghurt. It may help with digestion.

mrsb2484 is offline Junior Member
    Right now I have 2 kinds in my fridge:
    PB 8 by Nutrition Now
    Ultimate Probiotic Women's Formula by Natural Factors
    The reason for having 2 types is that I like to vary the different strains that I get. You want a probiotic that has several billion good bacteria...on the PB 8 bottle it states that there is 14 billion good strains. Usually the higher count means you don't have to take as many pills. I'm to the point now where I don't take one every day. The only thing I take is an omega 3 pill and my calcium/mag/vit D combo.
    The best place to find the probiotics is at a health food store. Ask to speak to someone in the supplement dept and tell them that you want a well rounded one.
    I still have to be pretty cautious of what goes into my mouth, because I'm going to get bound up if I don't. Salads and fruits and veggies along with the lean meats and healthy fats keep me happy
    Good luck!

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for added fiber here. I had similar issues :\

Don't Like! Sooo...I came up with an easy natural smoothie that has 19 grams of fiber. That fixes it! The recipe and info is on my blog
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

missblue is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    In Primal Body Primal Mind, using a good quality fiber like Garden of Life "Super Seed" is suggested
    and it also binds toxins as well as promoting "regularity"

I would suggest that first before going for grain. It's cheap on Amazon. What about dried plums (aka "prunes")?

I also love the Dr. Natura fiber but it costs a lot compared to the other but works beautifully. They also have a very nice probiotic and detox / antiparasite protocol I've used in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast