Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any hikers/campers here? page 2

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Parmesan and sharp cheddar I have had no problems with, however, I am from a climate where 50 degree F is considered great hiking weather. If you're going somewhere hot, I'd definitely dehydrate the stuff first.

I also just thought of bacon: Why not?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I like my 50L fridge in the fourby.

That way I can take steak, eggs, bacon and veggies. And lots of nuts and red wine.

If you dehydrate stuff, how on earth do you carry enough water? 5 litres a day per person gets jolly heavy, especially when you haven't used it all.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    If you dehydrate stuff, how on earth do you carry enough water? 5 litres a day per person gets jolly heavy, especially when you haven't used it all.
    You don't. That is, in most cases, you find a stream or spring and use some type of purification method to make the water drinkable (free of parasites and other disease-causing bugs).

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am planning to do a 8-9 day section hike this June on the Appalachian trail. Some suggestions for cooler weather will not work for me. I plan to bring pemmican, but I am somewhat worried even about that. It's going to be in the 90s more than likely, so the tallow will probably start melting during the hottest parts of the day. Any tips regarding that?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    I like my 50L fridge in the fourby.

That way I can take steak, eggs, bacon and veggies. And lots of nuts and red wine.

I only ever carry that much water when water is 20 or more miles apart or more than a day apart. Otherwise I get water from springs, creeks, lakes, rivers, and cattle troughs. Pretty much the same sources as that stuff that comes out of your faucet.

Getting water from nature is a holy experience. Nobody ever felt love for a faucet.

As for the pemmican, it works great. I use it out here in Southern California. I make it myself. That US Wellness stuff melts. I have used the US Wellness stuff and it'll last for a few days. I wrap it in the center of my sleeping bag. I don't stuff my sleeping bag into a stuff sack though, I just stuff it into the bottom of my pack, leave a little bit loose, set my pemmican on the bag, then stuff the loose bit over it. Eat the pemmican in the first couple of days. If I bring my own, that stuff has sat on a shelf in my kitchen for 6 months and it is still good.

One of the most tastiest meals you can make is to bring dehydrated starchy stuff (I like yams or sweet potatoes) and vegetables. Cook this up in your pot (with water of course) and melt in some pemmican. Oh man. So delicious and satisfying.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    My experience is more from a car camping(historical re-enactment camping) side of things and having to make food for five hungry people. What we pack depends partly on how hot or cold the weather is. I'm another Washingtonian so 50 degrees and camping is a good day. In cold weather, hot drinks and lots of them. Coffee, tea and for indulgence hot spiced cider. In hot weather, water, sun tea, and shrubs(a lemon, vinegar ginger 'ade'-it's historical. We do the gorp thing, hard cheeses and hard sausage. I have a dehydrator so all manner of fruit, vegie and meat go in. If it is going to get used fast I will dehydrate a thick stew to be rehydrated and simmered. I haven't tried dehydrating mashed garlic sweet potatoes yet, but it is on my list. For things like root vegies I find they rehydrate faster if they have been cooked before dehydrating. We will simmer a dried fruit compote in the morning with a pinch of cinnamon. If it is cooler we will have cream cheese in a cooler along with fresh eggs. Nut butters mixed with dried fruit disappear. Seasonings whether added before you leave to ziplock baggies of food or at camp are a must if you want people to actually eat. I dehydrate fruit leathers and vegetable puree like squash and pumpkin for 'mashed' veggie. Yogurt leather goes over big. I find greens the hardest to do and I'm still experimenting there. Because we have a little one and two teens we have a lot of tidbit munchies. I'm always experimenting to find new and tasty things.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Getting water from nature is a holy experience. Nobody ever felt love for a faucet.
    Totally agree. There is a spring up in the mountains where some of my family grew up that has the best water ever. In fact, I have thought about finding a nearby spring and loading up once a week/month for drinking water.

As for the pemmican, it works great. I use it out here in Southern California. I make it myself. That US Wellness stuff melts. I have used the US Wellness stuff and it'll last for a few days. I wrap it in the center of my sleeping bag. I don't stuff my sleeping bag into a stuff sack though, I just stuff it into the bottom of my pack, leave a little bit loose, set my pemmican on the bag, then stuff the loose bit over it. Eat the pemmican in the first couple of days. If I bring my own, that stuff has sat on a shelf in my kitchen for 6 months and it is still good.

One of the most tastiest meals you can make is to bring dehydrated starchy stuff (I like yams or sweet potatoes) and vegetables. Cook this up in your pot (with water of course) and melt in some pemmican. Oh man. So delicious and satisfying.
    I will most defintely keep your stew suggestion in mind. What is the best way to clean your pot after cooking that? Rinse with water and wipe with a paper towel?

Interesting that the US Wellness stuff melts. I guess their tallow is higher in MUFA/PUFA than the tallow you render yourself. I am not concerned about the pemmican going bad as much as it making a mess by totally melting in the 90+ degree heat.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the problem is their tallow. It is that their meat is not fully dry. The resulting product is moist.

I don't really clean my pot. I add a little water, scrape with my spoon and drink the water. Repeat as needed. Comes from so much hiking in arid places.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Oh this is great! I love camping and backpacking and I have been wondering about how to keep fed. It's funny, we are trying to have a hunte/gatherer diet in the wild and it takes so much more planning. We can't hunt or gather.

But these are all great ideas, I do want to try and make pemmican at some point to practice.

nathan.custer is offline Junior Member
    I just finished a 2 day/2 night 20 mile trip. Here was my menu. Not entirely primal/paleo, but it works from me. I also don't bring a stove. It lets me hike longer, less fuss/mess.

Breakfast x2: 2 starbucks via columbian in cold water (very yummy, like iced coffee)
    1 Probar Superfruit or Superfood

Lunch x2: 2 Larabars, primal trail mix, some jerky

Snacks x2: More trail mix and jerky

Dinner x1: 6 oz summer sausage
    6 oz sharp chedder cheese
    2 Larabars
    1 piece 85% dark chocolate
    Dinner x1: 3 oz tuna pack
    3 oz jerky
    6 oz sharp chedder cheese
    2 Larabars
    1 piece 85% dark chocolate

I had plenty of energy and wasn't really ever hungry. Nice not futzing around boiling water and heating food. I hiked with my dad and I was finished eating and full before he starting eating. For some more ideas you can dehydrate sweet potatoes, fruits, make homemade GORP, dried hummus, different jerkys, homemade or store bought Larabars or granola/protein bars, tuna/chicken/salmon pouches, cured sausages/salamis, hard cheeses. Packit Gourmet has a line of gluten free meals that get rave reviews. EZ Meal Planning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12