Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to whey, casein and YEAST! Help please! page

akbreezo is offline Junior Member

Allergic to whey, casein and YEAST! Help please!

Primal Fuel
    I finally got the results of my food sensitivities. Biggest issue is a whey allergy which means I will cut out my daily whey protein for breakfast, so that is an easy one. Obviously need to cut down on the little bit of cheese I was eating. The other major flag was yeast, both brewers and bakers. While the obvious carriers of yeast are not in my diet anyway (breads, etc.), I was shocked to learn that pretty much all vinegars are out now too. More importantly, I am extremely confused about where this puts kombucha, miso and fermented veggies? I understand that ACV is ok, but I'm not certain. Does anyone have any insights or personal experience with a yeast allergy? Could definitely use some guidance.

Many thanks,
    Bree

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    As I am also allergic to those, I will watch with interest any replies. A yeast allergy can be relieved by an anti-candida regimen, which includes herbal yeast-killers, dropping sugar and starch (not so hard for Paleo folks). I still use vinegars, but not daily, and drink about 3-4 ounces kombucha daily w/o noticeable reactions. Homemade fermented veggies still figure in treatment of my celiac-ravaged gut. But you will find 1 of 2 things - dropping your biggest reactor will either allow lesser ones to come to the fore, or else your sensitivies overall will decline. Hopefully, the latter.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    So far you're doing well in avoiding the main sources of whey, casein and yeast. As far as extra yeast goes, avoid "fermented"-labeled foods, but "pickled"-labeled ones rarely use yeast, typically being only seasoned vinegar. Most fermented foods will use wheat, rye, whey...etc as a starter, so scrap them.
    So basically stick to whole foods, salt-cured foods and pickles.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Distilled vinegar is said to have a very little amount of yeast, if any. No vinegar is guarenteed yeast-free, though, so if you're highly allergic I would just avoid vinegar all together.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

I just saw a massive list of things I should avoid and some surprising things were on there. If the reaction is to brewers and bakers yeast, I don't understand how the natural ferments come into play. Also, I'm not highly allergic. Bakers was a "level 3" and brewers a "level 2".
    I ferment my own vegetables in a crock and using salt only. Avoid these too?
    Just for clarification...is a yeast sensitivity the same as candida overgrowth?

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Yeast sensitivity and overgrowth are not the same. They rarely happen together because when you have an allergy to it the body goes nuts on it and gets rid of it before it can overgrow. I'm allergic to yeast as well and still figuring out what I can and can't eat. I only use distilled vinegar but might have to cut that out. No wine, beer, kombucha, kefir, dried fruits, and something else I'm missing because I'm still feeling crappy. No foods with yeast extract in them either. This eliminates almost all somewhat healthy processed foods (even cartons of chicken broth) and is super frustrating for me because I have a horrible work schedule and need an easy meal a couple times a week.

Thanks notlupus. What are your symptoms, if you don't mind me asking?
    I am inclined to think that you are more sensitive than I am because I don't have a horrible or immediate reactions to things; usually just bloating, lack of weight loss, heartburn and some mild mood issues.
    What resources have you found helpful in navigating this?

Bloating, fatigue, wheezing, and possibly a little heartburn are my main symptoms. Thankfully it's the only thing that effects my breathing, and only when I eat something that's got yeast grown in it (like a couple sips of wine or a gluten free pizza crust). Otherwise it's bloating and fatigue, which is frustrating because until this started maybe a year ago I've always had a flat stomach and now I look fluffy because my insides are waging civil war and I can't figure out how to stop it.

So notlupus, do you have a sensitivity, allergy or overgrowth? What is the difference and how do you know?!
    It's annoying when something like this seems to "suddenly" be an issue. I wonder what triggered it in you.
    I feel like my issues have become more prevalent since refining my diet to be more and more primal. I've wondered if cleaning up your diet can actually make your food sensitivities worse or maybe it just brings them to the forefront.
    The whey and casein will be easy for me to avoid, but this yeast one is going to give me trouble. It's in bloody everything! And I keep reading conflicting information about what is ok and what is not ok. I suppose it ultimately just depends on your level of sensitivity and a little trial and error, but what a pain in the ass!

Sounds like it's just as difficult for you to figure out too. It's definitely an allergy for me that I've had for a while and just realized. Before I found out I was celiac I'd have trouble breathing after checking to see if bread had risen enough. I'd start wheezing before I could even get a chance to drink any wine (holding the glass up and smelling it was enough). I'd thought it was normal for the longest time since I've also got other allergies and just assumed it was them until I put everything together.

I think I might be reacting to the normal amounts of beneficial yeast that naturally grow in the intestines. I might have to go low carb for a while and see if that helps, then slowly intro carbs one at a time and see what I can have. It doesn't help that I've been on antibiotics for a long time for Lyme disease so that makes the intestinal yeast more of an issue as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast