Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fermented Cod Liver Oil - worth it?

Hybrid View

Fermented Cod Liver Oil - worth it?

The threads I found on CLO are all pretty old, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm considering buying the fermented Cod Liver Oil that Green Pastures sells. The Perfect Health Diet authors don't see a need for it, but I've seen others who highly recommend it. I'm usually a "try it and see for yourself" type, but it's pretty expensive so I wanted to get some opinions.

Amazon reviewers mention stuff like this:
    - Stronger nails/hair
    - Reduction of colds
    - Better skin/hair
    - Overall better physical feeling

So, peeps who I trust a bit more than Amazon reviewers, what's your opinion? I'm a vain peacock so anything that gives me better skin/hair/nails sounds awesome, but I don't want to spend $70 for a placebo effect, haha.

It's not $70
    I'd defenitely try it. Don't buy the capsules but the gel, it's much cheaper. Buy the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Fat soluble vitamins do wonders
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    It's not $70
    I'd defenitely try it. Don't buy the capsules but the gel, it's much cheaper. Buy the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Fat soluble vitamins do wonders
    That's the kind I get ... But don't believe the claims that the chocolate cream flavor actually tastes ok. I eat a lot of strange and still have to gut that down. I went with the cod liver oil/butter oil blend to get the Vit D/A combo. I don't know how to go about quantifying the health claims but my skin is nice and I can't remember the last time I was sick. I drink ACV in water evey day too.

Paleobird Guest
    Best fish supplement in the world is a can of sardines. Get your nutrients from food, not pills. It is absorbed by the body much more efficiently and effectively. Not to mention cheaper and tasty too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Best fish supplement in the world is a can of sardines. Get your nutrients from food, not pills. It is absorbed by the body much more efficiently and effectively. Not to mention cheaper and tasty too.
    Fermented cod liver oil is not a pill or supplement. It's a food. It's not some modern drug, it's been used for a looong time. Plus sardines have omega 3, but they're very low in fat soluble vitamins.
    well then

Paleobird Guest
    Fermented cod liver oil is not a pill or supplement. It's a food. It's not some modern drug, it's been used for a looong time. Plus sardines have omega 3, but they're very low in fat soluble vitamins.
    I know what it is, Gadsie. That was my recommendation for supplementation in general. It may be part of a food but it is not a whole food. I'm all for fat soluble vitamins but I don't think you need to buy an expensive "product" to do this either. At the risk of sounding like Choco, just eat real foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I know what it is, Gadsie. That was my recommendation for supplementation in general. It may be part of a food but it is not a whole food. I'm all for fat soluble vitamins but I don't think you need to buy an expensive "product" to do this either. At the risk of sounding like Choco, just eat real foods.
    It's traditional, so I trust it. My grandma ised it all her life, so it must be fine in my eyes. Plus do your sardines have all their organs and heads etc? If not, it's also a "part of a food". Just like butter, or olive oil
    well then

Paleobird Guest
    It's traditional, so I trust it. My grandma ised it all her life, so it must be fine in my eyes. Plus do your sardines have all their organs and heads etc? If not, it's also a "part of a food". Just like butter, or olive oil
    It's an extracted product. Will it hurt you? Absolutely not. Is it worth paying large sums of money for? I don't think so. You can get everything that's in it by eating good foods. The OP asked for opinions. There's mine.

IMO, it's another product, marketed to create a need where there really isn't one.

I have just started taking fermented cod liver oil because:
    - i live up north where getting appropriate levels of vit D from daylight or a can of sardines is impossible
    - it's the best, most "whole food" supplement you can get! basically just concentrated food so it's absorbed well by the body unlike Vit D pills
    - because it's a natural source you get your Vit D in combo with Vit A, again, better absorption than pills

It's been about a month so i'm not sure i can ID any specific changes. Plus correlation is not causation. But I do at least feel like i am getting a good dose of Vit D/A in a combination found in nature and with the extra benefits of being fermented. I live in Canada so couldn't get the oil/butter combo.

It cost me even more than 70$ because suppliers in Canada are scarce and delivery to the boondocks is pricey. I would go for it and see. But i would get through at least 2 bottles before coming to any conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by meloroaster View Post
    It cost me even more than 70$ because suppliers in Canada are scarce and delivery to the boondocks is pricey.
    Kind of off topic and late, but I live in BC and got two bottles of the cod liver oil butter oil blend from The Raw Organic Vegan Superfoods Superstore - Live Superfoods for $129.58 after shipping and everything. So far no customs fee or any nasty surprises.

Edit: I just realized that it changed the link name to Raw Organic Vegan Superfoods. I assure you it isn't a cruel trick.
    Last edited by chris4242; 05-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.