Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fermented Cod Liver Oil - worth it? page

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member

Fermented Cod Liver Oil - worth it?

Primal Fuel
    The threads I found on CLO are all pretty old, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm considering buying the fermented Cod Liver Oil that Green Pastures sells. The Perfect Health Diet authors don't see a need for it, but I've seen others who highly recommend it. I'm usually a "try it and see for yourself" type, but it's pretty expensive so I wanted to get some opinions.

Amazon reviewers mention stuff like this:
    - Stronger nails/hair
    - Reduction of colds
    - Better skin/hair
    - Overall better physical feeling

So, peeps who I trust a bit more than Amazon reviewers, what's your opinion? I'm a vain peacock so anything that gives me better skin/hair/nails sounds awesome, but I don't want to spend $70 for a placebo effect, haha.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    It's not $70
    I'd defenitely try it. Don't buy the capsules but the gel, it's much cheaper. Buy the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Fat soluble vitamins do wonders
    Billie trips balls

Paleobird Guest
    Best fish supplement in the world is a can of sardines. Get your nutrients from food, not pills. It is absorbed by the body much more efficiently and effectively. Not to mention cheaper and tasty too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Best fish supplement in the world is a can of sardines. Get your nutrients from food, not pills. It is absorbed by the body much more efficiently and effectively. Not to mention cheaper and tasty too.
    Fermented cod liver oil is not a pill or supplement. It's a food. It's not some modern drug, it's been used for a looong time. Plus sardines have omega 3, but they're very low in fat soluble vitamins.
    Billie trips balls

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    I have just started taking fermented cod liver oil because:
    - i live up north where getting appropriate levels of vit D from daylight or a can of sardines is impossible
    - it's the best, most "whole food" supplement you can get! basically just concentrated food so it's absorbed well by the body unlike Vit D pills
    - because it's a natural source you get your Vit D in combo with Vit A, again, better absorption than pills

It's been about a month so i'm not sure i can ID any specific changes. Plus correlation is not causation. But I do at least feel like i am getting a good dose of Vit D/A in a combination found in nature and with the extra benefits of being fermented. I live in Canada so couldn't get the oil/butter combo.

It cost me even more than 70$ because suppliers in Canada are scarce and delivery to the boondocks is pricey. I would go for it and see. But i would get through at least 2 bottles before coming to any conclusion.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Fermented cod liver oil is not a pill or supplement. It's a food. It's not some modern drug, it's been used for a looong time. Plus sardines have omega 3, but they're very low in fat soluble vitamins.
    I know what it is, Gadsie. That was my recommendation for supplementation in general. It may be part of a food but it is not a whole food. I'm all for fat soluble vitamins but I don't think you need to buy an expensive "product" to do this either. At the risk of sounding like Choco, just eat real foods.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    It's not $70
    I'd defenitely try it. Don't buy the capsules but the gel, it's much cheaper. Buy the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Fat soluble vitamins do wonders
    That's the kind I get ... But don't believe the claims that the chocolate cream flavor actually tastes ok. I eat a lot of strange and still have to gut that down. I went with the cod liver oil/butter oil blend to get the Vit D/A combo. I don't know how to go about quantifying the health claims but my skin is nice and I can't remember the last time I was sick. I drink ACV in water evey day too.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Just eat liver & fish and get some sun!

The ratios of D to A in FCLO are not evolutionarily sound anyway. It contains something like a 10:1 ratio of A to D when the optimal ratio is more like 1:1.

Great marketing by Green Pastures, but no it is not a "food", it is a food-based supplement.

If you really want to take CLO (perhaps because you can't stand liver), then take a brand where you know how much A & D it contains. Green Pastures can't tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Just eat liver & fish and get some sun!

The ratios of D to A in FCLO are not evolutionarily sound anyway. It contains something like a 10:1 ratio of A to D when the optimal ratio is more like 1:1.

Great marketing by Green Pastures, but no it is not a "food", it is a food-based supplement.

If you really want to take CLO (perhaps because you can't stand liver), then take a brand where you know how much A & D it contains. Green Pastures can't tell you.
    As far as I know a lot of "natural whole" foods contain higher levels of A than D. For example beef liver with a ratio of 330:1 A: D
    Seems quite far from 1:1.
    Last edited by Gadsie; 04-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Billie trips balls

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Getting "enough sun" is a major problem for a huge portion of the population that either lives too far north/south and/or doesn't spend enough time outside.

Vit D supplementation is one of the few that i fully support for those reasons. Maybe one thing to do before shelling out cash for a supplement (which is just that but can have many iterations, some much better than others) is to get your levels checked.

It may or may not be right for you, but do what's right for YOU. Don't listen to others about what supplements you should or shouldn't take. Some of us actually need it to get to our optimal health.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast