Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal newbie- Are these symptoms normal? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Thanks everyone! Failed to mention i'm hypothyroid if that makes any difference.. I'm hoping low carb won't affect that, as i've heard mixed opinions. I don't plan on doing VLC right now.

Crypto- Great advice, I needed that encouragement! I jumped in balls to the wall and don't plan on cheating anytime soon. I need to try the bone broth idea.

YogaBare- I check my temp. semi-regularly because I am also hypothyroid. I haven't since starting Primal, but that's a great idea. I will start tracking and see what happens.
    Wow, I hit the nail on the head! Hypothyroid people often compensate with very high adrenaline production (adrenaline raises the body temp). I bet what's happening is that your body temp is dropping at night, your adrenaline is kicking off, and that's what's waking you. Are you low carb? Carbs are thermic, low carb is quite "cooling".
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member
    Well I've only been primal for less than week. Prior, I was eating 200+g of carbs. Now, since being primal I've been doing about 120g per day (for now at least). What do you suggest?

Well I've only been primal for less than week. Prior, I was eating 200+g of carbs. Now, since being primal I've been doing about 120g per day (for now at least). What do you suggest?
    If you're hypo I wouldn't suggest lowering your carbs: it can exasperate the condition. Why do you want to go low carb? Weight loss? Primal doesn't have to be low carb: it just means no grains or refined food.

Purely in terms of sleep: what I'm doing atm is wearing a lot more clothes to bed - it keeps the body temp up and discourages you from dumping adrenaline in the night. It's working well so far!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AMC
    Yes, my goal is weight loss. I gained a significant amount of weight (due to hypothyroid) over the past couple of years. DO you think my carbs are too low right now?

Yes, my goal is weight loss. I gained a significant amount of weight (due to hypothyroid) over the past couple of years. DO you think my carbs are too low right now?
    If you're having trouble sleeping I would think yes... Or maybe your cals are too low?

- Ray Peat

AMC
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If you're having trouble sleeping I would think yes... Or maybe your cals are too low?
    My calories i kept the same, just upped fat and decreased carbs. I'm not sure if i'm just going through the carb-flu either because I only just started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12