Thread: distance running and meal plans page

distance running and meal plans

I am finding my way back to paleo, for a number of reasons. One being my skin is just bad, I don't tolerate grain well and I have lots of blisters from it. Also I am having more joint pain, I feel achy in my ligaments and muscles more often after runs and am not having as well of recovery rate as I would like.

I am nervous, I can't seem to do paleo/primal and run, it seems one always takes a back burner. I have a 9 mile run to train for mid June and I am worried that I won't be able to maintain the diet with the running. I feel a lack of energy, like I can't eat enough carbs. MAYBE it's just in my head?? I don't know, but I am going to have to find a healthy medium, I can't handle the pain of the skin blisters and achy joints BUT I don't want to give up running either.

what are some meal plans/ post and pre run meals that you would advise?

right now my runs would be 3 times a week 3 miles each run and a longer run 4-5 miles on the weekend (building up as I go on). I also walk a few miles or cross train on my off running days.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    My husband is a marathoner. On his longer run days he has steak and a potato with dinner. On normal run days he does not always have the extra starch/carbs...but this seems to work well for him.

Try just adding in more carbs on your longer run days. 3 miles with a lower carb intake should not be a problem at all! Be careful not to fall into the carb load/ Gu/Gatorade trap. You don't need it at this mileage.

fredmull is offline Junior Member
    have you tried or heard about the Maffetone Method. Sisson also touts a version of this in his Marathon Training posts. Basically you run at a slow pace to keep your heartbeat low. This makes your body burn fat for your runs, instead of glycogen. The theory is that even someone with 1% of body fat can fuel 2-3 marathons. There are some amazing examples of low carb ultra runners. I always feel best when I run fasted first thing of a morning.
    Coconut water and pickle juice are good electrolyte replacements. You can also look into making your own gels with different ingredients of your choosing. Good Luck.

Thanks, I will have to take a further look at Maffetone method. I generally am bad at fueling for runs. I don't do gatorade or GU. I also don't drink fluids when I run. I agree I feel better when I run Fasted, but generally after consecutive days I am feeling drained. I will have to try some higher carbs at dinner. I do take coconut water after a run and that has worked well. Just a few drinks seems to be all I need for a tough run.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm getting ready for a half marathon (HM) in June. I've done many HMs, but none while eating primal. My long runs aren't very long yet, I'm planning on 7 miles today (just planning on finishing the race, not racing). So far, I've found that eating some carbs the day/night before, helps on longer runs. For instance, eating an apple for a snack and adding a sweet potato for dinner the night before a longer run, seems to do the trick. Not saying I have the answer, I'm experimenting too. I hope you'll update us on how things go. I'm interested to see if I'll need anything more than water on longer runs (8-13 miles).

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm getting ready for a half marathon (HM) in June. I've done many HMs, but none while eating primal. My long runs aren't very long yet, I'm planning on 7 miles today (just planning on finishing the race, not racing). So far, I've found that eating some carbs the day/night before, helps on longer runs. For instance, eating an apple for a snack and adding a sweet potato for dinner the night before a longer run, seems to do the trick. Not saying I have the answer, I'm experimenting too. I hope you'll update us on how things go. I'm interested to see if I'll need anything more than water on longer runs (8-13 miles).
    thanks, this is gonna be a big experiment for me also, I just need to finish... I even will walk on and off if I HAVE to. I am tapering this weekend and will be full primal by monday. I cut out all sugar first and left a few simple grains, but will cut them tomorrow. I am not sure if I will tackle a long run this weekend or not, my 3 mile yesterday was quite hard, I think just re adjusting to everything zaps my energy. I have found in the 2 other times I have done primal, the second time my body adjusted much faster, just a matter of days and not weeks. Hopefully by the start of the week I am feeling better.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning on running a 5K this summer or fall. This will be the first time I've done running for anything but basic cardio. I've been doing alternate day fasting and running fasted. On my feast day I eat a low carb lunch and a high carb supper. I'm thinking of doing my runs on the morning after a feast day. We'll see how that works.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ran my 7 miles today in a fasted state. No problem with the run and felt like I could have done more. About the last 1/2 mile, I was starting to get hungry. Not really hungry, just normal. I finished about the time I normally eat breakfast though. Had a smoothie when I got home.

Based on today's run, I may start taking some dried fruit and nuts or something on longer runs. I didn't feel like I needed food for energy, but I don't want to get overly hungry on a run. Maybe an egg/banana pancake before I go would solve it?