Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversation at the grocery store... page

Waterlily is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Conversation at the grocery store...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fresh produce worker: Hi Mam! Can I help you with anything?
    Me: Yes, I need organic rasberries, please. (he was in the way)
    FPW: Oh! You want those... Why do you think they are different?
    Me: Less pesticides.
    FPW: Not it. The difference is the price. Pesticides are everywhere, in the water, in the air, your rasberries are the same, you're just paying more for the same thing. We (produce workers) laugh at customers like you for beign so gollable!

I didn't say anything more.
    What would you have said?
    'Try some, you'll get smarter???'

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You're worried about the opinion of a minimum-wage earning grocery store employee?

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I would have simply explained that the fact that they are contaminating our soils, air and water supplies as reason to avoid them and reward growers that do. Supply and demand. If we show a market, more and more will grow that way and reduce the amount f poison used every where. When you know better, you do better.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're worried about the opinion of a minimum-wage earning grocery store employee?
    No, I'm not worried, I was just wondering what others would have done/said. It was a strange experience. He shouldn't be laughing at customers. It was just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I would have simply explained that the fact that they are contaminating our soils, air and water supplies as reason to avoid them and reward growers that do. Supply and demand. If we show a market, more and more will grow that way and reduce the amount f poison used every where. When you know better, you do better.
    Yeah, should have done that. I was so suprised I had no words!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I would hope that by the time I got to the register, I would have thought to speak to a manager. No employee should denigrate or mock a customer. He's being paid to facilitate the sale of product. When he discourages the sale of product by interjecting his personal opinion, he's not doing his job.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar experience Tuesday. At a restaurant ordering at the counter..

Me: is your salmon wild caught.
    Employee: no, but..
    Me: okay, I'll take the chicken (they claim it is free-range)
    Employee: (after taking my order) why do you think it matters?
    Me: I like the idea of the wild caught and feel the salmon was happier and ate its natural diet.
    Employee: well they explained to me, the farmed are still raised in the ocean.

Just thought it was interesting. Of course, your experience was bad as the guy was openly mocking customers and probably hurting business.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly why I try not to talk to people. If somebody is in my way at the grocery store I just wait. I would rather wait in silence then be forced to talk to an imbecile.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I would hope that by the time I got to the register, I would have thought to speak to a manager. No employee should denigrate or mock a customer. He's being paid to facilitate the sale of product. When he discourages the sale of product by interjecting his personal opinion, he's not doing his job.
    Agreed. That guy is an asshat and should be fired for treating customers with disrespect.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not everyone is a wage slave, there are a lot of educated people who are having to take menial jobs like that. This guy is pretty dumb, though, he probably has a point, and you're best off buying from a local farm or TJ's pesticide free frozen fruit like I do. Plus, everyone at TJ's is cool.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast