Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Conversation at the grocery store... page 4

kiks is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I don't think there are any menial jobs; I appreciate everyone doing the job they accept regardless of how much they are paidor what it is. heck I'm very grateful to those who do take jobs that I would rather not do, like garbage removal! Some of the highest paid jobs are filled by the most ignorant people on earth... I'm looking at you politicians.

Anyway, I think there's some truth in what the candid produce dude was saying, I don't think he deserves to be reported. He was just trying to save you money, you know, being thoughtful in his own way. It's not that organic produce in most grocery stores is pesticide-free, it's that they use organic chemicals vs. synthetic. Plus, there are unknown chemicals sprayed and other contaminates just importing produce from foreign lands. If you want the idealistic version of organic, know the actual source of your produce, e.g., grow it to source in hyper-locally. Chances are there really isn't TOO much difference between or a greater benefit for what a supermarkets charges you twice as much for. All we know is what they advertise and the extent of ino employees can elaborate on.
    i agree with this post...the dude was giving his opinion (we are all guilty of doing that) or making chit-chat with a customer and he did probably think he was trying to save you money in his own way. I don't think replying with an insult is always best; i likely would have just said something like 'actually what is labelled organic vs non-organic is very specific in FDA language and the pesticides used in non-organic things are pretty toxic'...at least it might have him thinking about it? It's up to him if he wants to put toxic things in his body constantly.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    II'm always uncomfortable with advice that says to report someone to their boss for any kind of perceived slight. Unless it's really egregious, I don't think it is necessary. It's a tough climate for getting a job already and most jobs these days really suck, so ruining someone's income just isn't worth doing just because he might be ignorant about organic produce. Or maybe he actually knows more than you and that particular supermarket's organic produce isn't really organic.

I've always been suspicious of supermarket organic. I don't believe it's truly organic. Perhaps in the letter of the law it is, but not in the spirit. Have you ever noticed how it tends to have more plastic packaging on it than regular produce? And can it really be organic if it came from Mexico or South America?

I trust my local food coop where they actually say what farm the produce comes from. I can go visit the farms because they're in my area and they sell at the farmers market.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    "FPW: Oh! You want those... Why do you think they are different?"

There's the problem right there. Said employee is asking you to justify your desire to purchase a particular product. The correct response is, "What?"

The point being, turn the question back around on the person asking it. Make them think about what they've just asked. No one should ever have to justify, to anyone, the reason for making a purchase. They have no right to make a judgement call on your behavior, especially since you are a voluntary patron in their establishment. As the customer, you have the right to buy anything you want, for any reason what so ever!
    Last edited by PBNewby; 04-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Also this from the first post:

We (produce workers) laugh at customers like you for being so gullible!
    IMO, there's no universe where this can be construed as helpful. It's just a rude little s***head who might be fine working in the stock room, but doesn't belong anywhere near a customer. And if he made the OP's day a little less bright, I'd bet dollars to donuts he's doing the mind crap on other customers.

Let's put it this way. If this were your (generic your) small business and the clerk was mocking customers, wouldn't you want to know? And why should any of us stand for rudeness when we're spending our money somewhere?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiks View Post
    i agree with this post...the dude was giving his opinion (we are all guilty of doing that) or making chit-chat with a customer and he did probably think he was trying to save you money in his own way. I don't think replying with an insult is always best; i likely would have just said something like 'actually what is labelled organic vs non-organic is very specific in FDA language and the pesticides used in non-organic things are pretty toxic'...at least it might have him thinking about it? It's up to him if he wants to put toxic things in his body constantly.
    Except organic means nothing and is merely a marketing buzzword
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Can you tell me where are the organic Joe Louis?
    (my husband's reply)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234