Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conversation at the grocery store... page 3

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    He's probably right, to an extent. The farmers wouldn't intentionally use pesticides, though the guy upwind from him could. Our water supply is also chop full of chemicals, at least here in the USA. About 50 years ago they started adding flouride to "help people's teeth," and it's been the same ever since. Some places you can even smell the chlorine in the water, usually cities. I am fortunate to have grown up with well water, and my dentist can see the difference (creepy, no?)

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're worried about the opinion of a minimum-wage earning grocery store employee?
    I used to work at a grocery store, and those in the produce department made $18.30/hour. That's over twice as much as the USA's federal minimum wage. That was also a couple years ago, so I would assume they now make more.

The amount of cross-contamination that happens on those produce trucks (same truck, all kinds of produce, organic or not, crammed into one truck) is also probably enough. Those who work in the industry have an inside look on things--for example dishware is one of the dirtiest things you could ever stock, after stocking a pallet of dishes my hands were black! Wash everything you buy. I recall the time we found worms in a bag of catnip, and also the time we found a fruit fly infestation in a crate of oranges. I fondly recall the day when the produce lady screamed as she found poisonous spiders in the bananas.

Grocery workers are not 'below' or 'uneducatated,' regardless of whether or not they make minimum wage. Cut the negative stigma, they work just as hard as everyone else.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I used to work at a grocery store, and those in the produce department made $18.30/hour. That's over twice as much as the USA's federal minimum wage. That was also a couple years ago, so I would assume they now make more.
    It's a huge mistake to generalize that produce workers across the country make more than $18.30 an hour. Around here general employees at supermarkets make a dollar or so more than minimum wage, and I suspect that is how it is in most supermarkets in the country.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Well, since he was basically calling you and other organic produce consumers "stupid", I would have replied in an equally nasty fashion- "Whew, I'm so relieved! Here I was just feeling bad for laughing at you being so inept at a job that, frankly, a blind monkey could perform. So I guess we're even."
    a muttered 'douchebag says what?' would be fun too
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there are any menial jobs; I appreciate everyone doing the job they accept regardless of how much they are paidor what it is. heck I'm very grateful to those who do take jobs that I would rather not do, like garbage removal! Some of the highest paid jobs are filled by the most ignorant people on earth... I'm looking at you politicians.

Anyway, I think there's some truth in what the candid produce dude was saying, I don't think he deserves to be reported. He was just trying to save you money, you know, being thoughtful in his own way. It's not that organic produce in most grocery stores is pesticide-free, it's that they use organic chemicals vs. synthetic. Plus, there are unknown chemicals sprayed and other contaminates just importing produce from foreign lands. If you want the idealistic version of organic, know the actual source of your produce, e.g., grow it to source in hyper-locally. Chances are there really isn't TOO much difference between or a greater benefit for what a supermarkets charges you twice as much for. All we know is what they advertise and the extent of ino employees can elaborate on.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-19-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I likely would have talked to management about it, largely because they need to know what their employees are doing.

In this instance, I agree that he was trying to be helpful -- and likely being young, he wasnt' exactly as smart or clever about it as he thought he was.

But the store needs to know -- and provide training for -- their employees so that they don't do something so stupid. No one wants to frequent a place where they think that employees make fun of them as individuals. I mean, I would hesitate to go back to that store afterwards, unless it was my only option, you know?

Management needs to know so that they can manage and train. I don't think the kid (i suggest he was likely a kid) shuold be punished, but I do think that management should be notified so that they can get training through the ranks in terms of 'client experience.'

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's a huge mistake to generalize that produce workers across the country make more than $18.30 an hour. Around here general employees at supermarkets make a dollar or so more than minimum wage, and I suspect that is how it is in most supermarkets in the country.
    Suspecting the rest of the country's produce workers make a certain salary based on what the wages are where you live?

Sounds like you and I could be making the same error.

Around here, unions have driven wages for grocery workers up. I don't know how strong the unions are where you live, or if they even exist, but worker unions have pushed a long time for fair and livable wages for grocery workers.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I would have found the store director and told him what happened. Not acceptable.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Suspecting the rest of the country's produce workers make a certain salary based on what the wages are where you live?

Sounds like you and I could be making the same error.

Around here, unions have driven wages for grocery workers up. I don't know how strong the unions are where you live, or if they even exist, but worker unions have pushed a long time for fair and livable wages for grocery workers.
    There are no unionized supermarkets around here. From my understanding unionization in supermarkets is only common in a few states, and elsewhere nonexistent.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I dunno why I never get into these situations. I would really look forward to the opportunity sometime

Seriously though, I would have simply laughed as I told him that he and his coworkers should educate themselves. I really don't think I could be much more "mean" than that. I sincerely think that a remark such as his means that person is undereducated in this area and deserves your pity.

I may consider telling the manager that they should implement an employee education program so that they can actually help customers (and the companies bottom line) rather than deterring them from making healthy choices.

Then tell them I'd be willing to do a class for them for unlimited free organic raspberries
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would have said I tried both raspberries and think the organic ones taste better.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast