Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

My doctor is a moron!

Shop Now
    I just got back from my doc, where I was getting my first blood test results since being veggie / vegan. I got Cholesterol, Thyroid and Ferretin checked.

My cholesterol has gone up from a already-high 6 (232.01856 mg/dl) two years ago (when I was a border-line ana vegan) to a shocking 10.4 (402.16551 mg/dl) (eating meat, fat, carbs). I've never heard of someone having cholesterol that high.

Now, I know that it's all about ratios and blah-blah-blah, so here's why my doc is a moron: he didn't bother checking how much of this result was HDL vs LDL! And when I asked, he said it wasn't important: my only option with cholesterol that high is, you guessed it - drugs.

I'm 31!

With a lot of persuasion, I managed to convince him to let me have another blood test, this time checking full lipids (he REALLY resisted the idea of me getting my tris checked - said they were completely pointless!!!)

I know total cholesterol means nothing blah-blah-blah but the ingrained dogma has raised its head and I'm freaking out that i'm going to keel over at any minute. Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated! Does anyone else have cholesterol that high?

Oh, also I'm not too au fait with decoding thyroid results, but my TSH was 1.64, which I believe denotes normal pituitary function, and my T4 was 11.6, which I believe indicates ever-so-slight hyperthyroidism? Not sure what to make of these results - I went in thinking I was hypo.

Completely forgot to find out what my ferritin was. And the doc didn't bother telling me = MORON.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated!
    .... mmmm, change doctor maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    .... mmmm, change doctor maybe ...
    Can't. In the UK we've got free health care and we're allotted a doc based on our area code.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Ah the beauty of the NHS....dontcha just love it!

Might be free, and actually I'm a fan of the great work done in hospitals but our GPs...ahem...the least said the better.

I was just saying to something this morning that I'd lost count of the number of times GPs have tried to persuade me to take anti depressants, purely because I don't sleep great. Seriously I'm the least depressed person I know. One even tried to tell me I was in denial! Now, he most definitely was a moron!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Not for nothing, but at least you can get your tests, even if your MD's suck. I can't afford to get bloodwork.... My deductible is $5000. And LOL< you don't want to be a self insured american on anti depressents when renewal time comes around.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I'd lost count of the number of times GPs have tried to persuade me to take anti depressants, purely because I don't sleep great. Seriously I'm the least depressed person I know. One even tried to tell me I was in denial!
    Wow... Now that guy sounds special! Mine seems lame in comparison... asking me what the benefit of knowing my HDL would be. With total cholesterol that high drugs are my only option! Wtf.

Btw spuggygirl, if you have difficulty sleeping I'd look into body temp and adrenaline. I'm experimenting with it at the moment and I think it's helping my insomnia!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-19-2013 at 04:32 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Not for nothing, but at least you can get your tests, even if your MD's suck. I can't afford to get bloodwork.... My deductible is $5000. And LOL< you don't want to be a self insured american on anti depressents when renewal time comes around.
    It's not so easy to get bloodwork done. You really have to persuade your GP that you're ill to get it done...and even then they'll tend to do the absolute minimum. I'm sure there are some great GPs out there that are the exception to the rule - but I've never come across one....they're only interested in treating symptoms. Holistic health and disease prevention is a complete anathema.

I'm not completely knocking them though - they don't have an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Btw spuggygirl, if you have difficulty sleeping I'd look into body temp and adrenaline. I'm experimenting with it at the moment and I think it's helping my insomnia!
    Cheers YogaBare - will do. Can you point me in the right direction? Certainly adrenaline (and malfunctioning cortisol) could be responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    Cheers YogaBare - will do. Can you point me in the right direction? Certainly adrenaline (and malfunctioning cortisol) could be responsible.
    Bascially if your temp drops too low at night your adrendals start firing off adrenaline (adrenaline raises temp).

Takes a bit of wading through to get to the relevant info but start here: LowTemp
    Then here: TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-19-2013 at 04:42 AM.

- Ray Peat

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Always remember that your doctor is like your lawyer, a professional there to advise you with information that is not easy for most people to acquire. YOU are the one still making the decisions. And, you obviously know how to acquire some of the information, if you know about ratios, etc.

Take a look at Griff's cholesterol primer, print it out, plug in your numbers, and use it as a starting point to asking questions.

Also remember that of the people who die of heart attacks, half of them have high cholesterol. The other half have low. It is not considered a predictor any more. There are articles, in BMJ and JAMA about this. Print a couple out and bring them to your next visit, with the appropriate parts highlighted. Give them to your doctor along with the ratio copies and tell him/her, 'this is where I am coming from. I need better reasons to take drugs. Do you have any?'

Also, what is your carb count? If you have kept your carbs high(as I am assuming, coming from being an almost vegan), while adding more protein and fat, your body may be struggling.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast