Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page 7

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I wouldn't call your doctor a moron. With a TC that high I wouldn't put any stock in ratio's and particle sizes. Your genotype most likely does not do well such a diet.
    You think it's reasonable to tell a young woman in her prime that statins are her only option or she'll probably die soon?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You think it's reasonable to tell a young woman in her prime that statins are her only option or she'll probably die soon?
    That's not what I'm saying. Athrosclerosis doesn't happen overnight. But a TC of 400 put's you in Jimmy moore category. He also has very high LDL-p and apoB and I think you would have a high chance of having both. Last I read Thomas dayspring was telling him to reduce his saturated fat intake. I would suggest advanced testing but even before that I'd be working on reducing your numbers. Have you read the Straight dope on cholesterol series?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    He also has very high LDL-p and apoB and I think you would have a high chance of having both. Last I read Thomas dayspring was telling him to reduce his saturated fat intake. I would suggest advanced testing but even before that I'd be working on reducing your numbers. Have you read the Straight dope on cholesterol series?
    I know... With a TC that high doesn't seem likely that my ratios are good, but the doc is a moron because prescribing drugs was his first and only suggestion. It's important to have all the info before you start treatment.

Thanks for the reading suggestion - I'll check it out this weekend. Btw, I've been thinking about it and the thing that has changed the most in my diet is that I eat a lot of full fat yogurt now. Even before I was vegan I never ate it... I've been looking for a reputable article that discusses if there's a connection - do you know if there is one? btw I'm not low carb.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    LOLLL! But aren't the results of the tests preformed by the drug companies the source of the doctors statistics.
    I don't think it counts as "statistics" if the data has been deliberately misrepresented to make it look like the results of the tests favor something they do not. Or if only the rare study supporting drug use is made public, while the ones showing serious side-effects are never published.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Even if your cholesterol is high, that doesn't change the fact that studies have shown no benefit in lifespan (and certainly not quality of life) to women who have not already had a cardiac event. Did you watch STATIN NATION: The Great Cholesterol Cover-Up (Full Movie) - YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I wish! No, what you're hearing is not wisdom but anger. Deep Anger. If only I had not spent so much of my life following "doctor's orders", trying to please everyone else, to do what they told me.
    Well at least you managed to break away eventually! I do feel very fortunate that I'm informed about these things... I just told one of my housemates and she thought that going on Statins was a reasonable option...

People are so brainwashed.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Even if your cholesterol is high, that doesn't change the fact that studies have shown no benefit in lifespan (and certainly not quality of life) to women who have not already had a cardiac event. Did you watch STATIN NATION: The Great Cholesterol Cover-Up (Full Movie) - YouTube?
    Thanks for the reassurance... I'm still on tenderhooks that I'm about to kick the bucket

I havent seen that video, will check it out.

- Ray Peat

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    i suggest you care about your small dense LDL and your HDL and the rest is garbage.
    This.

I also second the person who said to read Griff cholesterol primer.

And thirdly, total cholesterol is INVERSELY associated with all cause mortality in women. So the higher it is, the less likely you are to die.

Your doctor is wrong. Don't take a statin.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    This.

I also second the person who said to read Griff cholesterol primer.

And thirdly, total cholesterol is INVERSELY associated with all cause mortality in women. So the higher it is, the less likely you are to die.

Your doctor is wrong. Don't take a statin.
    That inverse correlation only holds up until a total cholesterol of around 230. Then the curve switches direction again. The data I have seen only measures up to total cholesterol of 250. I personally would be concerned about a cholesterol as high as the OP. I wouldn't take statins, but I would want to know more about what was going on.

Cholesterol: a new study and review | Bare 5
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    That inverse correlation only holds up until a total cholesterol of around 230. Then the curve switches direction again. The data I have seen only measures up to total cholesterol of 250. I personally would be concerned about a cholesterol as high as the OP. I wouldn't take statins, but I would want to know more about what was going on.

Cholesterol: a new study and review | Bare 5
    Actually, the U curve only applies to men. What I said is true for women. From the link you provided:
    Results Overview:
    Women-
    Cholesterol had an inverse relationship with all-cause mortality and CVD.
    Cholesterol had a U-shaped relationship with IHD (very low and very high cholesterol associating with IHD).

What does that mean?
    If you’re a women, higher cholesterol is associated with dying less.
    You're welcome.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast