Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page 6

  1. #51
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thank you Cryptocode!! Did you ever find out if there was an underlying medical reason for your high TC?
    No, back then doctors were not as agressive as they are to day, at least my current one is. I just noted it and left. Now that I know a little more, I think high TC is natural for me. My heritage is Norweigan (from the central western coast - fishing and diary), and northern Germans (dairy and red meat). My Grandparents and Great Grandparents ate lots of fish, cheese, red meat, and pickled everything; pickled or salted. My Grandfather loved Limburger cheese (the smellest cheese you can imagine). My Great Grandparents lived to be over 100. I'll bet they all had high TC and that's why they lived so long.

    My Grandparents only lived until their late 80's. They were more modern and ate a more grains and new oils, although not nearly as much as people do today.

    I came here because after following doctor's orders for 10 years I was so sick I could barely walk. I had already decided that if the 2 choices are between living in pain and misery - or death, I'll take death. This is MY body. I'm going to do what it wants. (The other way failed.)

    Interestingly, I talked with a charge nurse yesterday. She told me that nurses were always trying to convince doctors that "Quality of life" was important to patients. Quality of Life? To me that means 'I feel good', and that means I'm healthy. The doctors must be making decisions on statistics, and there is NO statistical person.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.

  2. #52
    mom23kids's Avatar
    mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Not for nothing, but at least you can get your tests, even if your MD's suck. I can't afford to get bloodwork.... My deductible is $5000. And LOL< you don't want to be a self insured american on anti depressents when renewal time comes around.
    We have a high deductible HSA and I had all the routine lab work, plus a vitamin D check, done last month. Still waiting for the bill to come, but I know the D test was $100 by itself sigh...
    Last edited by mom23kids; 04-19-2013 at 05:42 PM.

  3. #53
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Interestingly, I talked with a charge nurse yesterday. She told me that nurses were always trying to convince doctors that "Quality of life" was important to patients. Quality of Life? To me that means 'I feel good', and that means I'm healthy. The doctors must be making decisions on statistics, and there is NO statistical person.
    You're right: drugs treat a population, not a person.

    Thanks for all the wise words
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  4. #54
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm pretty consistently high carb (low by SAD standards) moderate fat (very high by SAD standards). My macros for March were 45C:37F:18P.

    The morning of the test I had "Primmeal" (mashed banana, egg, raspberries. DOn't knock it - it's like oatmeal! ) The day before I had ground beef, potatoes...

    Even if it had been a lot of fat I don't think it could make so much difference... that cholesterol is really high.
    I certainly don't think you eat too much fat in general. I once ate a New York steak the day before a test (didn't read the instructions) and my test came out over 100 points higher than normal. The instructions had said to basically eat as little fat as possible - like 10% or less- for a day before the blood draw. I know your number was even more shocking, but eating your normal amount of fat on top of possibly having extra fat in your blood from potentially losing right now may have really set the test off in the wrong direction.

    Whatever the cause, I hope you get some answers soon

  5. #55
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I certainly don't think you eat too much fat in general. I once ate a New York steak the day before a test (didn't read the instructions) and my test came out over 100 points higher than normal. The instructions had said to basically eat as little fat as possible - like 10% or less- for a day before the blood draw. I know your number was even more shocking, but eating your normal amount of fat on top of possibly having extra fat in your blood from potentially losing right now may have really set the test off in the wrong direction.

    Whatever the cause, I hope you get some answers soon
    Wow, 100 points? That's significant.

    Well, I currently eat about 100gs fat per day, but from May to November it was more like 250gs! Going from being vegan and prob less than 30gs of fat.

    But yeah, it could be healing / cleansing / thyroid... will need to do more tests.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  6. #56
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Interestingly, I talked with a charge nurse yesterday. She told me that nurses were always trying to convince doctors that "Quality of life" was important to patients. Quality of Life? To me that means 'I feel good', and that means I'm healthy. The doctors must be making decisions on statistics, and there is NO statistical person.
    If only the doctors were making decisions based on statistics instead of misinformation supplied by drug companies and the media!

  7. #57
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If only the doctors were making decisions based on statistics instead of misinformation supplied by drug companies and the media!
    LOLLL! But aren't the results of the tests preformed by the drug companies the source of the doctors statistics.

  8. #58
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm pretty consistently high carb (low by SAD standards) moderate fat (very high by SAD standards). My macros for March were 45C:37F:18P.

    The morning of the test I had "Primmeal" (mashed banana, egg, raspberries. DOn't knock it - it's like oatmeal! ) The day before I had ground beef, potatoes...

    Even if it had been a lot of fat I don't think it could make so much difference... that cholesterol is really high.
    I believe you need to be fasting for cholesterol tests. There are some studies that suggest it doesn't change results by more than 10-20%, but it may be worth considering repeating it following an 8 hour fast.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  9. #59
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You're right: drugs treat a population, not a person. Thanks for all the wise words
    I wish! No, what you're hearing is not wisdom but anger. Deep Anger. If only I had not spent so much of my life following "doctor's orders", trying to please everyone else, to do what they told me.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wouldn't call your doctor a moron. With a TC that high I wouldn't put any stock in ratio's and particle sizes. Your genotype most likely does not do well such a diet.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 04-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •