Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quelsen is really smart about these things. It might be worth listening to him. He's gone through a long, arduous journey and basically had to take his health into his own hands. In the process has learned more than most of us will ever know.

It is likely I have high cholesterol like that. This is why I have not had any cholesterol tests since I started eating Primal. I really am not interested. My grandmother lived to age 83, the longest lived of my grandparents, and her cholesterol was in the 800s or something ridiculous like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 175lbs, press 70lbs and deadlift 180lbs

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Quelsen is really smart about these things. It might be worth listening to him. He's gone through a long, arduous journey and basically had to take his health into his own hands. In the process has learned more than most of us will ever know.

It is likely I have high cholesterol like that. This is why I have not had any cholesterol tests since I started eating Primal. I really am not interested. My grandmother lived to age 83, the longest lived of my grandparents, and her cholesterol was in the 800s or something ridiculous like that.
    Thanks Diane. I will definitely listen to Quelsen And yeah, now that you mention is, a doctor friend of a friend was anecdotally telling me that he knew someone who lived to 92 who had a cholesterol reading of 15 (580.0464 mg/dl).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not sure what my blood tests would show, but I can totally agree that I prefer to eat often. Fully support you on that yoga

EDIT: PS. Hope your next test sheds some light on this for you, and provides you with some info you can use. Cheers.
    Thanks Matt
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My cholesterol has gone up from a already-high 6 (232.01856 mg/dl) two years ago (when I was a border-line ana vegan) to a shocking 10.4 (402.16551 mg/dl) (eating meat, fat, carbs). I've never heard of someone having cholesterol that high. Does anyone else have cholesterol that high?
    Yes, same happened to me after less than 9 months on a high fat (especially saturated from grass fed beef, grass fed bison, grass fed dairy, beef liverwurst and lots of coconut) and high cholesterol diet. My TC went from 252 to 383. LDL and HDL increased about the same amount while trigs dropped from 146 to 74. My HDL-C is 130 which I would like to think is good but I can not find any studies that suggest HDL-C above 70-80 is protective.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yes, same happened to me after less than 9 months on a high fat (especially saturated from grass fed beef, grass fed bison, grass fed dairy, beef liverwurst and lots of coconut) and high cholesterol diet. My TC went from 252 to 383. LDL and HDL increased about the same amount while trigs dropped from 146 to 74. My HDL-C is 130 which I would like to think is good but I can not find any studies that suggest HDL-C above 70-80 is protective.
    I remember that Artbuc, and I can appreciate how upsetting it probably was for you! My doc has a similar manner to yours, and I came out of there crying. My mum has two heart conditions (yeah, two) so I'm pretty freaked out.

It's worth bearing in mind what Sabine said - half of the people with heart attacks have normal cholesterol levels.

Where do you stand on the whole thing now? Have you gotten your thyroid checked? My t4 is a bit high which might indicate that t3 is low, so I'm getting a full panel done next week.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I just gave blood yesterday to check my lipid profile. I asked for it out if interest - can't wait to see what it says. My HDL was stellar a couple of years ago after taking Shangri-La style light olive oil for a couple of years. Now that I've stopped the daily ELOO, taken out most grains and am eating my own eggs (often with bacon) most days, I'm curious to see where my labs are.

Hopefully I don't give my doc heart failure when the results come back!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Triglycerides are protective against free fatty acids, but if your cholesterol and triglycerides are high, you likely have hypothyroidism to an extent. When fructose raises trigs, it's due to the fact it's lowering FFAs, so that's a good thing.

An Association Between Varying Degrees of Hypot... [Prev Cardiol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
    nihil

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Get all of your lipid numbers and use the calculations found here:

Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

It put my mind at ease, as my total is 269. I also just finished watching this movie, that may help:

STATIN NATION: The Great Cholesterol Cover-Up (Full Movie) - YouTube

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The cholesterol-lowering fiasco for a long time centered on the ability of unsaturated oils to slightly lower serum cholesterol. For years, the mechanism of that action wasn't known, which should have suggested caution. Now, it seems that the effect is just one more toxic action, in which the liver defensively retains its cholesterol, rather than releasing it into the blood. Large scale human studies have provided overwhelming evidence that whenever drugs, including the unsaturated oils, were used to lower serum cholesterol, mortality increased, from a variety of causes including accidents, but mainly from cancer.

Since the l930s, it has been clearly established that suppression of the thyroid raises serum cholesterol (while increasing mortality from infections, cancer, and heart disease), while restoring the thyroid hormone brings cholesterol down to normal. In this situation, however, thyroid isn't suppressing the synthesis of cholesterol, but rather is promoting its use to form hormones and bile salts. When the thyroid is functioning properly, the amount of cholesterol in the blood entering the ovary governs the amount of progesterone being produced by the ovary, and the same situation exists in all steroid-forming tissues, such as the adrenal glands and the brain. Progesterone and its precursor, pregnenolone, have a generalized protective function: antioxidant, anti-seizure, antitoxin, anti-spasm, anti-clot, anti-cancer, pro-memory, pro-myelination, pro-attention, etc. Any interference with the formation of cholesterol will interfere with all of these exceedingly important protective functions.
    Coconut Oil

This is interesting and it could apply to you. Two things could potentially be happening:

1.) Your liver could be detoxifying and releasing lots of cholesterol into your bloodstream from your healthier dietary changes. However, this would be the case only if this was a fairly new change for you. Have you been primal awhile? Your username is almost a year old, so if you've been primal this whole time this probably isn't the case.

2.) Do you eat a lot of pork, poultry or the classic eggs, bacon, nuts and avocado while maintaining a low carbohydrate diet low in sodium? That would be a diet very high in unsaturated fats and low in sugar, starch and salt, which is a recipe for hypothyroidism. You may want to consider taking a supplement made of dessicated thyroid and adrenal tissues, like Raw Thyroid and Raw Adrenal in unison or Vitacost's Thyroid Complex, which I take twice a day.

Oh, and salt your food with iodized salt

Just some thoughts.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Coconut Oil

This is interesting and it could apply to you. Two things could potentially be happening:

1.) Your liver could be detoxifying and releasing lots of cholesterol into your bloodstream from your healthier dietary changes. However, this would be the case only if this was a fairly new change for you. Have you been primal awhile? Your username is almost a year old, so if you've been primal this whole time this probably isn't the case.

2.) Do you eat a lot of pork, poultry or the classic eggs, bacon, nuts and avocado while maintaining a low carbohydrate diet low in sodium? That would be a diet very high in unsaturated fats and low in sugar, starch and salt, which is a recipe for hypothyroidism. You may want to consider taking a supplement made of dessicated thyroid and adrenal tissues, like Raw Thyroid and Raw Adrenal in unison or Vitacost's Thyroid Complex, which I take twice a day.

Oh, and salt your food with iodized salt

Just some thoughts.
    I agree with this, except about the dessicated thyroid(her t4 is already ok, she seems to be having a problem with conversion to t3, I think) as dessicated thyroid is t4 and t3, she needs to be on cytomel.

Iodized salt would likely agitate her thyroid problems, as too much iodine can cause hypothyroidism as too little can. The iodine in eggs and dairy suffice for anyone.

Morton canning salt or some sea salt non-iodized is perfectly fine.
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Triglycerides are protective against free fatty acids, but if your cholesterol and triglycerides are high, you likely have hypothyroidism to an extent. When fructose raises trigs, it's due to the fact it's lowering FFAs, so that's a good thing.

An Association Between Varying Degrees of Hypot... [Prev Cardiol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
    I read that even if T3 is low, if TSH is normal it rules out hypothyroidism..? Low T3 Syndrome I: it’s not about the thyroid!

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast