Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page 2

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Bascially if your temp drops too low at night your adrendals start firing off adrenaline (adrenaline raises temp).

Takes a bit of wading through to get to the relevant info but start here: LowTemp
    Then here: TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism
    Thank you!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Also remember that of the people who die of heart attacks, half of them have high cholesterol. The other half have low. It is not considered a predictor any more. There are articles, in BMJ and JAMA about this. Print a couple out and bring them to your next visit, with the appropriate parts highlighted. Give them to your doctor along with the ratio copies and tell him/her, 'this is where I am coming from. I need better reasons to take drugs. Do you have any?'

Also, what is your carb count? If you have kept your carbs high(as I am assuming, coming from being an almost vegan), while adding more protein and fat, your body may be struggling.
    Thanks for the reassurance! Thta's helpful to know. It's just scarey when your doc says he's never seen someone with a cholesterol increase like mine. What a wonderful bedside manner.

My body probably is struggling. I've been doing a refeed for the last month (long story): my weight and macros are all over the place. Maybe I should wait til things calm down a bit before getting my bloods done again? I'm booked in for the total lipid profile next tues...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...glad your going to get it tested again with a better breakdown, but to an extent your doctor is correct. When its that high you do have to take total into account. There is an issue somewhere and you can say that just based on that TC. That does not mean that statins are the answer though. It just means you have some investigating to do. I know you tend towards the Peat protocol. Are you adding much refined sugars to your diet?

peril is offline Senior Member
    That is a very high TC. It is probable that you have very high LDL. There may be a number of reasons for this. Hypothyoidism is one. Familial hyperlipidaemia is another.

Lipid lowering drugs definitely aren't the answer, but I wouldn't be blase about this number.

IIRC, you eat often and have your own version of primal. Might be worth reviewing
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I just got back from my doc, where I was getting my first blood test results since being veggie / vegan. I got Cholesterol, Thyroid and Ferretin checked.

My cholesterol has gone up from a already-high 6 (232.01856 mg/dl) two years ago (when I was a border-line ana vegan) to a shocking 10.4 (402.16551 mg/dl) (eating meat, fat, carbs). I've never heard of someone having cholesterol that high.

Now, I know that it's all about ratios and blah-blah-blah, so here's why my doc is a moron: he didn't bother checking how much of this result was HDL vs LDL! And when I asked, he said it wasn't important: my only option with cholesterol that high is, you guessed it - drugs.

I'm 31!

With a lot of persuasion, I managed to convince him to let me have another blood test, this time checking full lipids (he REALLY resisted the idea of me getting my tris checked - said they were completely pointless!!!)

I know total cholesterol means nothing blah-blah-blah but the ingrained dogma has raised its head and I'm freaking out that i'm going to keel over at any minute. Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated! Does anyone else have cholesterol that high?

Oh, also I'm not too au fait with decoding thyroid results, but my TSH was 1.64, which I believe denotes normal pituitary function, and my T4 was 11.6, which I believe indicates ever-so-slight hyperthyroidism? Not sure what to make of these results - I went in thinking I was hypo.

Completely forgot to find out what my ferritin was. And the doc didn't bother telling me = MORON.

HEALING

High LDL when eating an otherwise Rational Paleo diet tends to mean ( I would personally say ALWAYS but... hedging here ) Massive tissue damage that is being healed.

Assuming you are doing Yoga right you are tearing things up every time, micro fractures that would not have anything to heal thenselves with..

being a long time vegan brings its own set of concerns to the table.

My chicka spend most of her 28 years malnourished it took over 9 months of strict ketogenic diet to stop her hypoglycemia to say nothing of the 2 years it has taken to stabilize her cycles.

i suggest you care about your small dense LDL and your HDL and the rest i garbage.

look to your DHEA and your Vitamin D... if you can ge the test look to your pregnenolone rather than DHEA but DHEA is useally less hassle to obtain.

suppplement for both while your LDL is high. it will drop

protect you liver during this process ( milk thistle) as the ldl needs to be eliminated and your liver needs to be able to accomplish that task.

Good Hunting
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hmmm...glad your going to get it tested again with a better breakdown, but to an extent your doctor is correct. When its that high you do have to take total into account. There is an issue somewhere and you can say that just based on that TC. That does not mean that statins are the answer though. It just means you have some investigating to do. I know you tend towards the Peat protocol. Are you adding much refined sugars to your diet?
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    That is a very high TC. It is probable that you have very high LDL. There may be a number of reasons for this. Hypothyoidism is one. Familial hyperlipidaemia is another.

Lipid lowering drugs definitely aren't the answer, but I wouldn't be blase about this number.

IIRC, you eat often and have your own version of primal. Might be worth reviewing
    Guys, please don't do a diet witch hunt on me. That's not cool. Eating often will raise my cholesterol? wtf? FYI, I've only been eating often for the last two weeks, and I finally have some sense of sanity with food.

My bloods from two years ago were when I was an underweight vegan, ingesting refined sugar, junk food, lentils, and hardly any fat. I didn't even use olive oil! I also drank copious amounts of alcohol.

The only new things to my diet are fat and meat. I don't even really drink anymore.

Everyone here seems to have cholesterol increases after eating high fat. Seems like a no brainer.

Anyway, if you don't hear from me again you'll know what happened...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-19-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    HEALING

High LDL when eating an otherwise Rational Paleo diet tends to mean ( I would personally say ALWAYS but... hedging here ) Massive tissue damage that is being healed.

Assuming you are doing Yoga right you are tearing things up every time, micro fractures that would not have anything to heal thenselves with..

being a long time vegan brings its own set of concerns to the table.

My chicka spend most of her 28 years malnourished it took over 9 months of strict ketogenic diet to stop her hypoglycemia to say nothing of the 2 years it has taken to stabilize her cycles.

i suggest you care about your small dense LDL and your HDL and the rest i garbage.

look to your DHEA and your Vitamin D... if you can ge the test look to your pregnenolone rather than DHEA but DHEA is useally less hassle to obtain.

suppplement for both while your LDL is high. it will drop

protect you liver during this process ( milk thistle) as the ldl needs to be eliminated and your liver needs to be able to accomplish that task.

Good Hunting
    Thanks for the advice. You're a sweet heart <3

- Ray Peat

Matt is offline Member
    Guys, please don't do a diet witch hunt on me. That's not cool. Eating often will raise my cholesterol? wtf? FYI, I've only been eating often for the last two weeks, and I finally have some sense of sanity with food.
    Not sure what my blood tests would show, but I can totally agree that I prefer to eat often. Fully support you on that yoga

EDIT: PS. Hope your next test sheds some light on this for you, and provides you with some info you can use. Cheers.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the reassurance! Thta's helpful to know. It's just scarey when your doc says he's never seen someone with a cholesterol increase like mine. What a wonderful bedside manner.

My body probably is struggling. I've been doing a refeed for the last month (long story): my weight and macros are all over the place. Maybe I should wait til things calm down a bit before getting my bloods done again? I'm booked in for the total lipid profile next tues...
    If your weight is "all over the place" then yes this can greatly effect it. Dunno how anything I said was a diet witchhunt. You eat a certain way and you have certain results. Should you not like those results you may have to re-examine what you eat. Rather than making any further suggestions I'll just leave it to you to decide what you want to examine. In the end this could simply be a mix of what quelsen stated regarding healing and your weight fluctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your weight is "all over the place" then yes this can greatly effect it. Dunno how anything I said was a diet witchhunt. You eat a certain way and you have certain results. Should you not like those results you may have to re-examine what you eat. Rather than making any further suggestions I'll just leave it to you to decide what you want to examine. In the end this could simply be a mix of what quelsen stated regarding healing and your weight fluctuation.
    I know you mean well NH. From what I see though - on this site low carbers always blame carbs for any problem, and high carbers blame lack of carbs. It's exhausting.

As I said though: Even with Ray Peat's research I still eat a lot less refined sugar than I did two years ago. Over the last three months I've eaten chocolate three times. I also eat fewer carbs than I used to. The only difference has been meat, dairy, and fat.

And yeah, let's hope it's the healing. I am in recovery from a 13 year ED where I'm just starting to feed myself properly again.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-19-2013 at 05:53 AM.

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast