Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: My doctor is a moron! page 11

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I wouldn't consider us VLC, I'm up at around 100-200g/carbs and she's probably another 50g up from me,

I'm not really sure what kind of mental focus one is supposed to have with Ketosis, but if you had the superfocus on edge kind of feel, that sounds like a predatory response, i.e. ready to hunt, which to me would suggest some nutrient deficiency and the body was getting single minded about it.

I'll try to describe the feeling we both have, although we describe it in different ways, is like you are in a room at a party and it is crowded with people and they,re all talking to you, some criticising your clothes, your hair, your diet, there's some encouraging, but usually with the qualifier that you could do better, then all of a sudden these voices have all drifted to the edges of the room and the room has gotten bigger, you notice it's like an art gallery of sorts, there are some interesting features you can now appreciate, the room is white, you suddenly have space to move around, you can still hear the voices but they're really faint so you can't quite make out what they're saying, you can choose to go and converse with individual groups or you can just hang around having some quiet time thinking about nothing in particular.
    That the headspace, the voices are your fears, concerns, desires etc., they don't go away, they have a legitimate place in your world, but they shouldn't be chewing your ear off 24/7.
    When you find this place, you'll know it, it's a little strange, but not alarming, your clarity and vision just seems brighter, you may well heve touched on this place with meditation and yoga, as I have in the past, but more and more it has just started to become the norm rather than the exception, all your fears and concerns are still there, but the edge has been taken off them, they have just fallen back to an appropriate level.
    Life still sucks quite a bit, we're not talking Nirvanah here, but just a bit more freedom to deal with things as they come.
    Put simply you might describe it as the present moment, no past regrets, no future concerns, just the here and now.

I do believe diet plays a major role in either clearing or clogging this awareness, whether you want to talk about ketones, glucose, lactate, AGE's, Gluten etc. There are more effects and combinations than we can comprehend, but as we start reducing the toxins and increasing the nutrients, then the body starts rebuilding our house and gradually things start to get better, but as said before it seems to go in steps spaced a fair way apart, so like walking a long road with a step a long way apart, when you reach a step suddenly you have more clarity, you can see further, the air seems fresher etc. then you continue on, but you have to walk the path to the next step, could be a week away or six months or more, but the only way to get there is to walk, so settle back into a comfortable pace, take time out to enjoy the view and before you know it your at the next step up, and so on, it's life's journey.
    Oh, no that's not really even LC is it? Yeah, the mental focus I had sounds much more like the predator response.

I get your description of ketosis. It's a fleeting place place I've touched at times with various spiritual practices, or after great sex, or a good bout of exercise. Oh yes. ANd drugs However, as I mentioned on the other thread - since I've started trying to raise my body temp, I've noticed a significant change in my mood. I feel more open, relaxed, accepting of myself, and detached. I'm not thinking so much about people's responses to me, and I'm finding myself smiling at people on the street / in shops but not realising I'm doing it til they beam back at me. (This is pretty unusual for London. It's not the friendliest place!) I'm making it sound quasi-spiritual but it's actually not. Put simply I didn't realise how miserable being cold all the time was making me! It's just natural now to be natural: like some part has been released. We'll see if it lasts...!

I'll go and read some technical study now just to clear my head of all this hippy s#it.
    Ha, you can run, but the hippies come out eventually

And then I thought of this:
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    While you can have Hashimoto's with a normal antibody test result, finding out where you stand is always good. And, some doctors will treat if antibodies and symptoms are present.
    My mum has Hashimotos...

Also, I just remembered that my doc compared my lab results to my previous ones, and my t4 has dropped in the last two years from 13.6 to 11.6. Is that a normal variation or is that a decline?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Regarding all the hormonal stuff, although all the considerations are great, I still think you need to consider the context of your history and symptoms.
    Keep gathering info, but stabilise now for a few months, keep track of your symptoms and their progression, if you feel you are improving, then you really do need to question whether using hormones will be beneficial, just because thyroid may be low doesn't mean you need thyroxine, if you are overtly expressing Hypo symptoms that are affecting your quality of life, then yes try it, but if not then you may just be forcing your body to push the equilibrium further south as it tries to balance what it feels it needs to and it may further lower thyroid function, if that is what is really happening.
    If you really don't know what's broken, then how do you know what needs to be fixed?
    Don't worry, I have no intention of taking meds. I would need a significant arsenal of information before making that decision.

- Ray Peat

XGrains is offline Member
    I would see what other options you might have with regard to bloodwork. For instance, many universities do cholesterol screenings for research purposes. See if this is a possibility.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Someone should forward Western doctors a copy of the hippocratic oath, currently they follow the maximize profit oath.

"I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice. I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect."

In other words cure it with food, not drugs. Oh, but that doesn't maximize profit, so let's just ignore that part.

Cathartes is offline Member
    I'd also point out that:
    1. Statistically, a third of people who have cardiac events every day have low-normal cholesterol, so cholesterol levels aren't a great reason to think that you're going to keel over anytime soon.
    2. High cholesterol is generally associated with a systemic inflammatory response. The reason that statins have some lowering effect on cholesterol/cardiac health is that they have a mild anti-inflammatory effect.

Just wanted to throw that out there; I'll leave the thyroid advice and the high/low carb or fat debate to everyone else

Also, yeah, your doctor is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Someone should forward Western doctors a copy of the hippocratic oath, currently they follow the maximize profit oath.

"I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice. I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect."

In other words cure it with food, not drugs. Oh, but that doesn't maximize profit, so let's just ignore that part.
    I think the problem is that very few docs are passionate about what they do. If the GP's were even a fraction as fascinated by health and wellness as some of the people on this forum then we'd be in a much better place.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    I'd also point out that:
    1. Statistically, a third of people who have cardiac events every day have low-normal cholesterol, so cholesterol levels aren't a great reason to think that you're going to keel over anytime soon.
    2. High cholesterol is generally associated with a systemic inflammatory response. The reason that statins have some lowering effect on cholesterol/cardiac health is that they have a mild anti-inflammatory effect.

Just wanted to throw that out there; I'll leave the thyroid advice and the high/low carb or fat debate to everyone else

Also, yeah, your doctor is a moron.
    Thanks Cathartes Good to be reminded about inflammation too.

- Ray Peat

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think the problem is that very few docs are passionate about what they do.
    That's certainly true. The doctors I met in the US clearly hated their jobs, you could just tell. And hated their patients I think too.

But the system doesn't really allow for people going outside the program. There are rules, and the rules are "goto work, speak the party line 'grains are good, fats are bad', sell drugs to the chumps, keep your mouth shut", if you go outside those rules you don't last long I imagine.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The thing with doctors do what they are asked to do, the system enforces constraints on cost, we all want lower taxes so the govt outsources, this includes reasearch and medical recommendations, so drug companies take over that niche,
    then there is the patient, no one wants to invest time and effort into their own health,
    when in a consultation and the newbie doc says well your problem is you need to get healthier, lose weight and stop smoking,
    the patients response is can't you just give me a drug to fix it.
    Three consultations like that and the enthusiastic doctor gives up and pulls out his script pad every time.

If more patients actually demanded better service and actually engaged in their own health process, then the system would be forced to respond more appropriately.

But alas that would involve more taxes and no one wants to pay more tax.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast