Thread: Primal Living of a Student ~ Journal of WCloos page

Wcloos is offline Junior Member

Primal Living of a Student ~ Journal of WCloos

So lets starts of with a small profile. I'm a 19 year old male and I'm living in Almere, the Netherlands (thats close to Amsterdam, FYI). I'm a student at a school (dunno what it is in America, but its close to University) in Amsterdam.

Lets first go back in time. When I was 5 years old I start playing football (soccer in America). I had the dream of reaching the absolute top. At the time things where coming along well. When I was 10 years old I played for the biggest club in the Netherlands, Ajax. After some personal problems I got to some smaller clubs, but was still chasing the dream I once had. When I was finally back at my old level I got a injury to my knee. The doctors told me I would be able to play again but after a while it was clear to me that I wouldn't play on the same level as before. My dream was crushed...

I got my injury at the age of 17. At that time I wasn't able to do any kind of fitness or sports. I kept eating the same as a did when I was playing football. So my weight was going from 80kg (176 lbs) to 95kg (209 lbs). While I always had a bit of fat around my belly, things where now going into the wrong direction. People start telling me I got a start getting a bit fat and with my length of 189cm (6,2 ft) they where dammm right.

So after recovering from my injury I signed up for a local gym and started to workout a bit. In the beginning I had no idea what I was doing, but after the help of a friend things where getting along. I started to get some more muscle on me but I wasn't really happy with how I looked at that time. At the time I start reading more and more about fitness and nutrition. So I started to understand what was going wrong and so I changed from bulking myself up to cutting the fat off. Again I wasn't happy with how I looked. So my workouts and nutrition where changing a lot at the time. When I just turned 19 last year I decided it was time to get real. To finally get my body in shape (you know, the brad pitt look from fight club) I decided to do more research about fitness and nutrition.

I think it was the end of February when I came across Mark's site. The things I was reading on his blog made so much sense that I decided to order his book straight away. Now after using the PB on and off (I think about 60% of the time I'm eating primal), I think its time to get real with the PB (I'm super curious about how I will feel and look when I'm going 100% primal). I want to look in the best shape of my life by the end of June, when the weather starts to be nice here in the Netherlands. Since I started with the PB I already lost a lot of fat (around 5kg) and even gaint some muscle. I have even finished a marathon in 4:21:50 (I know chronic cardio, I don't do that anymore but because I already registered in January for it and paid for the whole thing so I had to finish it). The PB helped me to look and most important feel much better. I feel super fit and healthy. Its just great when you feel your energy levels are high all day. I'm know around 78kg (171 lbs) and looking in a decent shape. When I started with the BP I started at 86kg (189 lbs). Let me give you a picture of how I look right now (this picture I took yesterday).

I wanted to start this journal because of a lot of different reasons.
    1. I want to go fully primal, I think this journal can help me reach this goal and stay motivated. Also I want to reach my goal of finally having around 8% body fat.
    2. I want to share my expiernce of the PB with other Grok's and Grokin's.
    3. I think a lot of students are sometimes having a hard time to adopt the PB lifestyle. It ain't easy if you don't have a lot of money to spend and you busy life. I hope this topic can help other students to learn from mistakes I make.
    4. It will help me keep track of my results.
    5. I hope people can give me a lot of feedback and help me stay motivated.
    6. I currently don't have the money to buy organic products. I want to start doing this to but I has to fit into my budget. I hope some people from the Netherlands can help me with finding sources of good organic products here in the Netherlands.

Now you guys now a little about me (feel free to ask any questions about me) and why I wanted to start a journal. Its now pretty late here in Europe, so it's time for me to go to bed. Starting tommorow with going 100% primal I will also start to update this topic daily. I will post my nutrition information, workouts, random thoughts and other special things during my day. Also I will try to post a picture each Sunday so we can see what kind of progress I'm making. For now its time to go to bed...

Grok on!
    Last edited by Wcloos; 05-09-2010 at 05:53 PM.

I just saw Sungrazer's Journal (wich was a good read btw), and I like the lay out he is using for his daily posts. So I hope you don't mind Sungrazer, but I'm going to do the same as you did.

Basics
    I slept very well last night, got at least 8 hours of good sleep. When I woke up I was feeling full of energy and decided to go for a good workout with a friend of mine. I walked the whole day on my Vibrams (I think I have them about 3 weeks now) and I'm liking the way it feels now. It feels so much more natural then other shoes. Some kids walked up to me to ask me why I got these weird shoes!? Thought it was cool and explained them way I got them. I think I got a bit tired after I studyed a while, so I took a quick nap around 3:00 pm. Oh, before I forget, I also got a new scale and I weigh myself this morning, my weight is now 80,1kg. Not bad, I think.

Training
    My workout of today looked like this:
    5x5 Squats (75 kg)
    5x5 Bench Press (27,5 kg) and after each set 5 push ups.
    3x10 pull ups

Also I did some Wii EA Sports Active for half an hour. Oh, and lets not forget that I walked for a hour today (on my Vibrams, ofcourse).

Supplements
    3x Fish Oil 1000mg
    1x Multivitamin

Diet
    Breakfast: IF
    Lunch: A small bowl of organic yoghurt + 4 hard boiled eggs
    Dinner: One Grapefruit + 400gr Chicken Breast + 300gr Spinach

Random Thoughts
    Tommorow I need to go to the surgeon to get my wisdom teeth out. They will take out the two at the bottom, so I really wonder how that will go. I'm also curious if I will be able to chew on some real food (like a nice piece of meat) after the surgery is done. Also I have a small exam tommorow about ethics in Psychology. I see I forgot to add that to my profile yesterday, but I'm a first year Psychology student. So a bussy day tommorow at school, I think its a good idea to go to bed now. Will post another update tommorow.

Grok on!

Basics
    Went to bed around 10:00 pm yesterday, woke up around 6:00 am. Got a quick cold shower and learned a bit for the exam that was scheduld for today. The exam went pretty well only I wasn't feeling very well after I was done with school. I was very tired and I think I was a little afraid for the surgery I was going to have. So before I had to go to the surgery I took a quick a nap. The surgery went very well, still not feeling a lot of pain. I can not eat real food for a day, so will see how it works out tommorow.

Training
    Did none. I think I walked something like a hour again, if I add everything up.

Supplements
    3x Fish Oil 1000mg
    1x Multivitamin

Diet
    Breakfast: 4 eggs baked with 5 slices of bacon + 1 grapefruit
    Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs + 150gr blueberries
    Lunch: 250gr Broccoli + 300gr steak with a little herb butter
    Snack: (This was after my surgery) 1 1/2 bowl of organic yoghurt

Random Thoughts
    Not much, just hope I don't feel to bad tommorow. Want to go for some sprints if I can. Also going to the market tommorow to pick up some new fresh foods to cook . Also I'm not going to school tommorow because I can barely speak, so that won't work out to well.

Grok On! Wesley

Basics
    Today was the first day after my surgery. I got to say it hurts a bit, but it isnt that bad. Got to take it easy though, because it is still very sensitive. Hope it feels much better tommorow then it does today, because I want to go for a good workout again. Haven't been so active today, accept for a walk in the mall. Wanted to sprint today but because of my surgery I couldn't do it. Oh yeah, almost forgot. I slept terrible. Woke up at 4:30 am, was awake a whole hour and then after I took my medicine I went to sleep again.

Training
    None.

Supplements
    3x Fish Oil 1000mg
    1x Multivitamin

Diet
    Breakfast: Small bowl of organic yoghurt + 2 banana's
    Snack: A little bit of left overs of my organic yoghurt
    Lunch: 5 baked eggs with 6 slices of bacon!!!
    Diner: 300gr chicken breast + 100gr strawberries or so

Random Thoughts
    Think I have been to lazy today, but sometimes you can't do anything about it. Also I got to watch my carbs with the fruits, but today I could eat much else. Think I'm going to do some IF tommorow in the morning till late in the afternoon. Also I'm free tommorow and I hope I can do some sprints, if my mouth will let me (isn't it if your feet will let you ?).

So, 2 days have past since my last update. Didn't have the time to make the updates. On Thursday I have eaten everything primal, except some potato chips (like 50gr) when I was at a friend of my. It wasn't that I couldn't resist, its just that in social situations I find it hard sometimes to say no to people offering me food all the time. Then everything went all wrong on Friday when I ate everything BUT primal. First off I had a free day and was spending the day in the mall with a friend of mine. Now the worst part is that I ate KFC, like 15 hot wings and a small coke (40cl). After that I ate a small ice cream, some super sweet yoghurt (wich didn't eaven taste great), a 100gr chocolate bar (of 86% pure cacao) and 150gr bleuberries. I almost forget the small banana I had and the McFlurry ice cream later on the day. Only good thing about Friday was that I finally got in some exercise. In the morning when I was in IF I did some lifting and later on the day I walked for a hour w/ 5 long sprints. I can't be happy about those days, but I'm not going to fall af the wagon, today was a different day.

Basics
    Today things went well, woke up around 9.00 am. Had a good night sleep wich I needed badly. The sugary day before had made me pretty tired (insuline...). Breakfast was finally primal again and it had much more taste then all the garbage I ate the day before. I had a nice big nap this afternoon, slept for something like 2 hours. Nice!

Training
    None. Was still feeling pretty exhausted from the day before. I'm going to swim tomorrow and if the weather is nice, I will for sure go out and play some with my little brother who is on his last day of his vacation.

Supplements
    3x Fish Oil 1000mg
    1x Multivitamin

Diet
    Breakfast: Big bowl of organic yoghurt + 1 Banana + 5 baked eggs with 6 thin slices of bacon
    Snack: 1 Banana
    Diner: Had a banana again (there wasn't anything more primal left) and 3 cups of green tea.

Random Thoughts
    Can't really wait till tomorow. I really want to go for the swim and looking to get some things done. Today was a pretty boring day, did do some of my homework and cleared my head a bit with some playstation time (I just couldn't resist). Also I'm making a clear schedule of everything I got to do for school in the ongoing days. Its going to be pretty bussy at school with my last exams of the year coming. I want to get all my points so I don't have to do extra work next year and just can have a great vacation without worrying to much. Also I'm planning on making a list of food I really like that are not primal. This way I know that if I fall of sometime, I just choose those foods and not some garbage I can reach first hand. Well that was it, will take some pictures tommorow so stay tuned.

Grok on! Wesley

Krallice is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can pretty well empathise with you (I'm a first year student in Psychology two, although not in Netherlands, but in Romania) about how to live primally as a student (I will be two in the exam session soon enough=> the busy schedule and all).
    However, I think you're eating way too little, both calorically and nutritionally. Try and read more journals around here and up those calories, because if you don't do it, you'll encounter with many problems ( I had restricted my caloric intake and it hasn't done me any good, au contraire).
    Good luck with your plan and also with your exams !