Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potato cravings page

PawsitivelyPrimal is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So I've been primal for about 2-3 months or so and everything has been quite good until this last week. All I seem to think about are potatoes. Fries, scalloped, baked, greek-style, hashbrowns. Its getting ridiculous, is this a phase? Please tell me I'll get over it soon. The first part being primal I didn't miss the carbs almost at all. But these cravings are getting brutal.

Come to think of it, I was recently put on antibiotics for a strep infection, could this be related to an imbalance of the yeast/good bacteria in the digestive system?

Mick Guest

Primitive man would have exploited roots and tubers. In fact, he would have exploited just about anything edible there is. Plains Indians ate "prairie turnip", collected by the women with digging sticks, with their buffalo.

The objection against potatoes would seem to be that they're pretty high in carbohydrate, and most modern people eat too much carbohydrate (and not enough fat) already.

If you're not wildly overweight and you don't want to eat fantastically large amounts is it a problem? I can't see that a few new potatoes or a small baked potato (eating either with plenty of butter) or a handful of potatoes fried in lard, as part of a meal would do anyone any harm. It's not the same as someone who eats five or six at a sitting and not enough of other foods: he would be asking for trouble.

Peggy is offline Senior Member

Sweet potato fries...

Jicama (I just got finished eating some: raw with lime juice & chili powder)

turnips

cauliflower

or... all the above!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Fried carrots taste just like sweet potato fries.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PP, my take is that it is apparently common for PBers to experience carb cravings at the beginning. Some people experience very strong cravings regardless of how much they eat. They do disappear though.

Having some potatoes here and there will probably not affect your health or weight, but might perpetuate those carb cravings.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Peggy is offline Senior Member

Sounds Great Diana! I was just thinking of making crunchy, greasy carrot chips! I thought that might also make a good sub for crackers... you know, a "vehicle" for stuff like smoked oysters, tuna, salsa, almond butter...

What did you fry them in??

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I give in to my potato cravings a couple times a week. The trick is to dilute the potato with low-carb veggies and a protein source.

In other words...I fix hash browns (in coconut oil), but I go really heavy on onion, red pepper and squash, so my big pile satisfies my potato cravings even though I'm really only eating half a potato, and I eat it with a buffalo burger.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've tried them with both coconut oil and beef tallow. I like them better cooked in the tallow.

I'm itching to get a dehydrator too, so I can slice squash and make chips.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ooh I literally just used my dehydrator for the first time this week, beef jerky (amazing!), and cinnamon apple chips! Both turned out so well!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

After six weeks of grain and potato deprivation, I'm allowing myself a few ounces here and there as I fix them for my parents. A little bit is surprisingly effective in killing those cravings w/o total surrender.

The "problems" with potatoes are first and foremost, a very high glycemic index and load. Worse that sugar, IIRC. The second is more controversial, some people won't eat them because they are a member of the nightshade family and claim all kinds of problems due to that.

You can also do some starch blockers to keep carbs and starch calories down if that is a concern. But they don't work on that butter and sour cream! Ha ha...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast