Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Caveman Myth? page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

The Caveman Myth?

Primal Fuel
    This article says archeologists have found ancient stores of cultivated grains in Israel which indicate man has been farming for at least 23,000 years:

Clarity Magazine » Blog Archive The Myth of the Caveman » Clarity Magazine

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Sounds in line with the WAPF accounts of history.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Last edited by fiercehunter; 04-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    The problem is, OF COURSE most of what they'll find is grains and stuff with any large groups of people. Large groups of people can not be nomadic, which meat eating requires as most prey is migratory. Get beyond a couple hundred people in one camp, especially back then, and you couldn't move easily to follow the herd.

Also, camps for nomadic meat eating societies wouldn't leave much of anything behind. It's the people that stayed in one place for long periods of time that would leave stuff for future generations to find. Grains allow for staying in one place. Grains allow for civilization to grow beyond what would be the norm. However, if we're to think in terms of evolution (which I thought was the point of primal), humans are still adapting to grains in terms of function. Because it is the more readily available source of food, it could be that humans are slowly evolving into grain eaters, but we're not there yet. For the most part, as a species, due to tools and adaptation and long life spans, we evolve very slowly compared to other creatures that we can see evolving...the ones that have hundreds of generations for every generation of ours.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    This article says archeologists have found ancient stores of cultivated grains in Israel which indicate man has been farming for at least 23,000 years:
    Not sure about the 'evidence' they provided, but I'd be interested on their thoughts on Australian Aborigines "discovered" about 200 years by white-man.

200 years ago - Animal skin clothes, barefoot, spears, stone/wood tools, no clay pots, fire made by stick friction, nomadic life, temporary tree/bark/branch shelters, no farming/gardening, hunting wild animals, spear-fishing, gathering wild fruits/veg, constant slow moving- no grains except maybe occasional gathering a handful of wild stuff.
    Teeth and physical/mental health/strength good.

Fast forward 200 years - Aboriginal man wears modern cloth clothes, wear's shoes, eats grains and other processed foods including fast food, drinks sodas and alcohols, doesn't move much, modern housing provided, modern medicine/dentistry provided, modern education provided.
    Teeth and physical/mental health/strength very poor.

Regardless of the health implications since : It seems we have solid evidence that caveman exited as recently as 200 years ago in Australia - Or is this a myth?

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap, that article was full of New Age pseudoreligious bullsh*t.

Evidence of grain eating isn't surprising. Humans are opportunistic omnivores, and will eat what they can. 23,000 years ago, some people looked at some ancient wild wheat-type grass and thought "Hmmm, maybe we can eat that." Maybe they didn't have much success with hunting in their area or something. They tried it, and it didn't kill them, so they continued eating it. It certainly wasn't widespread until the beginning of the Neolithic.

Just because one group seems to have ate some grains a little earlier than previously thought, doesn't mean it's good or healthy.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Quote Originally Posted by vtphoenix View Post
    The problem is, OF COURSE most of what they'll find is grains and stuff with any large groups of people. Large groups of people can not be nomadic, which meat eating requires as most prey is migratory. Get beyond a couple hundred people in one camp, especially back then, and you couldn't move easily to follow the herd.

Also, camps for nomadic meat eating societies wouldn't leave much of anything behind. It's the people that stayed in one place for long periods of time that would leave stuff for future generations to find. Grains allow for staying in one place. Grains allow for civilization to grow beyond what would be the norm. However, if we're to think in terms of evolution (which I thought was the point of primal), humans are still adapting to grains in terms of function. Because it is the more readily available source of food, it could be that humans are slowly evolving into grain eaters, but we're not there yet. For the most part, as a species, due to tools and adaptation and long life spans, we evolve very slowly compared to other creatures that we can see evolving...the ones that have hundreds of generations for every generation of ours.
    We've had 100,000 years to adapt:
    Humans feasting on grains for at least 100,000 years | Observations, Scientific American Blog Network

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Then why was it killing me?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Then why was it killing me?
    Because wild grass seeds were seasonal... they didn't eat them all day all year round. Because without intensive agriculture and storage systems there would not have been enough to last more than the limited time in which they were harvestable. Especially with competition from other animals also eating the seed.
    And there were pockets of people eating them, in places where wild grass seed was plentiful.
    Not all places have wild grasses with easily harvestable seed, this was not a global phenomenon. People in other areas would not have been consuming wild grass seed at all, but other starch sources along with animals/insects. Roots, tubers, fruits, whatever was available whenever it was available... Omnivores are like that.

The idea that we have had 100,000 years to "adapt" does not account for the way that adaptation(evolution) actually works.
    If it doesn't kill you before offspring is produced... then it's not a problem where evolution is concerned. No adaptation is necessary.
    Science. It's pretty cool.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested to follow this and see where the debate leads. For me, modern white flour processed foods are still out but I sometimes eat rice and that's a grain. The ancestral diet principles have done me so much good that I listen to all of the criticism on grains and generally avoid them, with extremely good results. Could it be that even if humans have always eaten them, they are still not optimum food and in a time when we don't need to eat them, why should we?

I sense we are at the beginning of a long scientific inquiry into grains which may lead to the conclusion that they are acceptable in some forms, but what that will be we don't know. Certainly the inflammatory properties of wheat seem to be a pretty much proven, but maybe only some wheats? Maybe GM wheat is worse?

But lets not think that just because grains are still in debate, that the general principles of primal eating are unsound, because from my experience they are completely correct as a way of attaining optimal health. I'll be avoiding grains and legumes until further notice!
    Last edited by Owen; 04-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast