Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a fad diet? page

Zackmoses is offline Junior Member

Is this a fad diet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just an honest question. Since this is so new and unconventional I find my confidence in the diet wavering as much as my confidence in myself if not more.

Every now and then I seem to worry if I'm using the bathroom enough since I have none of the usual sources of fiber: cereal/grains. Is it normal to have a loss of regularity when first starting the diet? Should I take some metamucil or something for a while?

Also, how do I know I'm getting the proper balance of meat and vegetables? I'm really worried that I'm going to eat too much meat.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Did you read the book?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Think of it less as a diet than as a way of life-- eat real foods, trust your gut (if you don't want to eat so much meat, don't... if you miss things like rice, add them back in--I cut grains for awhile but I didn't feel "stable" without them, so I eat rice, millet, and the occasional slice of Ezekiel bread now, but I avoid anything made with flour)...IMO the goal here is to get more in tune with your body so you can give it what it wants. That's what a true caveman would do--he wouldn't go against his instincts because of what someone on the internet said. Try to cleanse your diet of processed foods, buy meat/eggs from humanely raised and properly fed animals, my motto is "do what feels good" and if you're worried about not pooping enough maybe that's your body trying to tell you something. The more you cut out processed foods, fast foods, seed oils, etc. the more you will be able to trust what your body is telling you. In the end it's all about eating real foods, which foods you choose is up to you.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure some people approach it as a fad diet. Perhaps they lose the weight and go back to their SAD, or maybe they find giving up junk food "too hard" and end up leaving to look for a diet that doesn't deprive them of sugar and processed foods. Others have been with this WOE for many years. What are your goals?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    As soon as you realise that you are a human animal that has been designed to eat, and designed to know how to eat, the better.
    There is nothing secret or formulaic, nor do you need a degree to do it. So many people get into this rut of research and over thinking something that's supposed to be a natural process.

This is about eating as nature intended us to eat (or rather how we evolved to eat).

Cut out added sugars and processed food, stay away from grains.
    Figure out whether or not you're suited to dairy.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    If avoiding toxic oils and gut-irritating grains is a fad, count me in.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    As soon as you realise that you are a human animal that has been designed to eat, and designed to know how to eat, the better.
    There is nothing secret or formulaic, nor do you need a degree to do it. So many people get into this rut of research and over thinking something that's supposed to be a natural process.

This is about eating as nature intended us to eat (or rather how we evolved to eat).

Cut out added sugars and processed food, stay away from grains.
    Figure out whether or not you're suited to dairy.
    Great post.

Zackmoses is offline Junior Member
    I skimmed the book a while back. It has been a while.

My goals are weight loss and physical fitness. I would like to get my weight down, and once its down I'm interested in building some muscle.

I'm not worried about the diet being hard so much as believable. I love meat so I'm worried I may eat too much of it so I want to know how to measure the amount that I eat so that I eat a reasonable amount for my goals.

As for returning to the SAD diet: I couldn't really see myself eating normal food more than once in a blue moon. Maybe a cheeseburger (yes on bread) would be nice one day. And Mexican food on tortillas would be nice. I could see myself eating those again, but sparingly.

After years on the SAD it is hard to psychologically accept that I can eat meat and 'get away with it'. My roomate says I eat more meat than anyone he has ever seen. I'm new to Primal so I'm not seeing immediate results, because results aren't immediate, so its hard to accept.

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I see where you are coming from... try to eat a variety of food with your meat, you should only be able to eat how much you need.

This is normal food... a cheeseburger is not normal food, or food at all really.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Well it is a fad diet. A million year old fad diet. Don,t worry, though. It will pass soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast