Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone actually made chocolate? page

kathleen is offline Senior Member

Has anyone actually made chocolate?

Has anybody successfully made chocolate? Any tips/tricks? Pictures? Recipes?

I see a few different ways of doing so, but I am *notoriously* sketchy in the kitchen. New recipe? You bet I'll burn it.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Lauri is offline Junior Member
    I have, but it was long ago. I mixed cocoa powder with melted coconut oil, but today I'd use melted cocoa butter as I have some nut allergies and react to too much coconut. Pour into a bowl or pan and chill until set. There are recipes out there. It doesn't seem to be something one can burn as you simply microwave the fat to melt, stir and chill.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what you mean by chocolate. I routinely make 'hot chocolate' for the kids by mixing sugar, cocoa and cream/milk with boilign water.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    To really make chocolate, one would grind peeled cocoa beans under gentle heat for hours in a process called "conching", perhaps adding flavoring, a touch of sweetening, and a bit more cocoa butter to create the perfect mouth feel and flavor. That's why they make chocolate factories, to do that for us.

Personally I don't see what people have against cocoa butter. Coconut oil patties flavored with dry cocoa are not "chocolate".

I don't have a problem with cocoa butter (or coconut).

I have a problem with soy lecithin, as I am allergic to soy. My chocolate options are fairly limited, being either cheap Hershey's syrup (aka chocolate flavored sugar) or expensive bars of chocolate that don't have soy.

I would like to open my options and am open to hearing all recipes and tips, coconut and cocoa butter included.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

ombat is offline Senior Member
    4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
    1 tablespoon honey
    vanilla and salt

This is the ratio I like. Mix and pop in the fridge. I like to use silicone molds and make fillings.
    This batch I made with pecans

2013-02-27 002.jpg

My favorite filling is raspberry: blend raspberries (frozen is fine, just make sure there is no sugar added) and strain the seeds. Then head in a pan with some honey until it thickens a bit. You could fill them with anything you like, though: almond butter, blueberries, shredded coconut, etc.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I don't have a problem with cocoa butter (or coconut).

I have a problem with soy lecithin, as I am allergic to soy. My chocolate options are fairly limited, being either cheap Hershey's syrup (aka chocolate flavored sugar) or expensive bars of chocolate that don't have soy.

I would like to open my options and am open to hearing all recipes and tips, coconut and cocoa butter included.
    You can probably find unsweetened chocolate without soy lecithin and melt it with some cocoa butter, adding sweetening of choice to taste. It doesn't need to be refrigerated to keep it solid. Doing so gives the chocolate an amazing texture. It is just as dark but richer. I have done this with 90% chocolate, which didn't need sweetening.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
    1 tablespoon honey
    vanilla and salt

This is the ratio I like. Mix and pop in the fridge. I like to use silicone molds and make fillings.
    This batch I made with pecans

2013-02-27 002.jpg

My favorite filling is raspberry: blend raspberries (frozen is fine, just make sure there is no sugar added) and strain the seeds. Then head in a pan with some honey until it thickens a bit. You could fill them with anything you like, though: almond butter, blueberries, shredded coconut, etc.
    Thanks for this recipe, just tried it with the ice tray. Purchased some sea salt (I love the dark chocolate bars with sea salt in them!) and used that as my salt and filler. I think I did a little too much salt, and not enough honey (only put in about half a tablespoon, should follow directions, argh!) but it's still quite a treat. The batch I made seems very rich, intense flavors. Better than the sugary tasting bars available at the store. What a treat, only needed on 'ice cube' chocolate--only filled the ice things about half full, so they have the same shape as those Dove chocolate treats.

Wish you could taste it through the computer . Can't wait to try it with different things, I'm thinking Agave nectar next time. Super simple, all I needed to do was microwave the coconut oil and stir in ingredients.

F/23/5'9"

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    That recipe sounds awesome, definitely going to try it!
    Thanks Ombat!

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just melt your chocolates again and add more honey if you need it. I found some nice soft silicon chocolate molds on eBay, all kinds of shapes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast