Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Why do we piss everybody off so much? page 2

  1. #11
    Pheebie's Avatar
    Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    157
    Primal Fuel
    I agree - I think when anyone feels that their own beliefs, lifestyle, etc. are 'under attack' they get defensive. But in all honesty, I've read more than a few pissed off-sounding posts on the PB Nutrition Board (which I why I usually come to Odds & Ends ~ there seems to be less animosity in general). Whenever I come across a post, whether here on MDA or any other board I visit, that strikes me as disproportionately angry, I figure the person is trying to convince him/herself of what he/she is adamantly proclaiming.
    Just my two cents. (I particulary like the comment about Spaghetti-O's, by the way.)

  2. #12
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    I know the article you speak of. Interestingly, I get the most flack about paleo from a gluten-free vegetarian friend of mine. She likes to say that I'm not paleo, to which I usually say "I never claimed to BE paleo, just that the vast majority of my meals are paleo-friendly, just like vegans can have a fruit bowl and say it's vegan, I can have meat and potatoes and #paleo on instagram to my heart's content." (she mostly takes issue with my IG pics, because that's life nowadays... and because she knows I sometimes don't eat paleo stuff)

    Just like you said though, her understanding of paleo is flawed, she understand it as "eating foods only caveman could have" so even rice, something she knows I eat relatively often (we get chipotle at work a lot) is too new and processed to be considered paleo in her view. I've tried to explain but she shuts it down, so we don't really talk about it anymore. I have no time to be explaining myself to people that don't really care anyway and just want to get a rise out of me.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

  3. #13
    Violette_R's Avatar
    Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheebie View Post
    But in all honesty, I've read more than a few pissed off-sounding posts on the PB Nutrition Board (which I why I usually come to Odds & Ends ~ there seems to be less animosity in general). Whenever I come across a post, whether here on MDA or any other board I visit, that strikes me as disproportionately angry, I figure the person is trying to convince him/herself of what he/she is adamantly proclaiming.
    Maybe it's young people. I know I used to get angry over stuff that didn't affect me, but that's gone out the window as I've aged. Now I now life is hard enough without getting upset over what other people are eating, etc.

  4. #14
    Pheebie's Avatar
    Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Maybe it's young people. I know I used to get angry over stuff that didn't affect me, but that's gone out the window as I've aged. Now I now life is hard enough without getting upset over what other people are eating, etc.
    Well said, and I can relate. It's funny because just the other day my husband, who works at a college, came home and said, "I don't know what these kids are all so angry about - they get worked up over the smallest thing."
    As I'm now on the backside of 35 (gah!), I can absolutely say I've mellowed over the years.

  5. #15
    picklepete's Avatar
    picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,860
    I try to keep silent about my food since I hate debate but I have a few FB contacts who love to take jabs at paleo. The criticism seems to be half "fiber deficiency" and half vague assurance that health = vegan. Among my age group probably 4 out of 5 people who attempt weight control start with vegan (they never stick with it but they "know" it's the best way).

  6. #16
    Z0oom's Avatar
    Z0oom is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Speaking of gluten-free, I've been seeing a lot of BS about that lately, too. People who need to make sure I know that "YOU WON'T LOSE WEIGHT JUST BY GOING GLUTEN-FREE!!!!" Umm ... no duh. And then there are the celiacs who are pissed about non-celiacs not eating gluten. Somehow they're the only ones allowed to be concerned about the effect of wheat on their bodies and my arthritis and IBS are inconsequential. I don't get people.
    This is the approach I take at work when people question me about not having breads, pizza, doughnuts ect. I just remind them of that when I eat wheat, it comes out "both ends". Usually paints a nice picture in their head.

  7. #17
    Pheebie's Avatar
    Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    "fiber deficiency"
    LOL - few things have caused me as much intestinal woe as trying to "eat my fiber," i.e., shredded wheat, Kashi Go Lean (which I once saw referred to lovingly online as "Kashin Go Lean in the other direction" and "Kashi Go Fart."
    I don't voluntarily discuss my eating habits ~ if someone asks, sure, I'll chat them up. That rarely happens, though. To me, it's not even a 'thing' anymore - it's just how I eat.

  8. #18
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,214
    I think there's a bit of resentment due to an implied criticism of their own diet.

    Plus, you know, they are annoyed by the blinding glare of the beams of sunlight that we radiate from our bodies.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  9. #19
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    670
    I think there is a lot that the general population just doesn't understand about wheat sensitivity. I am allergic to wheat (and barley, oats, rye, other such stuff), and people keep asking me why I can't eat those gluten free oats, or gluten extracted barley, or 'oh hey, you know light beer has hardly any gluten in it?' I am allergic to wheat...the whole thing! Not just the gluten part.

    And then there's friends and family members that always say "I don't get it, you used to eat bread and pasta all the time? Are you sure the doctor isn't full of shit?"


    As per the group of people I tend to piss off the most, it's vegetarians. They don't understand why I eat red meat, and keep preaching about how it's hard to digest it. These same friends eat wheat and soy galore. Apparently soy is a "good source of protein" and "caffein is bad for you." Then they wonder why they are not losing any weight as I sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee with my steak and eggs.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  10. #20
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    670
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I know the article you speak of. Interestingly, I get the most flack about paleo from a gluten-free vegetarian friend of mine. She likes to say that I'm not paleo, to which I usually say "I never claimed to BE paleo, just that the vast majority of my meals are paleo-friendly, just like vegans can have a fruit bowl and say it's vegan, I can have meat and potatoes and #paleo on instagram to my heart's content." (she mostly takes issue with my IG pics, because that's life nowadays... and because she knows I sometimes don't eat paleo stuff)

    Just like you said though, her understanding of paleo is flawed, she understand it as "eating foods only caveman could have" so even rice, something she knows I eat relatively often (we get chipotle at work a lot) is too new and processed to be considered paleo in her view. I've tried to explain but she shuts it down, so we don't really talk about it anymore. I have no time to be explaining myself to people that don't really care anyway and just want to get a rise out of me.
    This is unrelated, but I have a soy allergy. I recently found out the hard way that Chipotle fries everything (including the rice) in soybean oil:

    Chipotle: Special Diet Information

    so disgusting... "Authentic" "Mexican" "food," soybeans do not even grow in Mexico... Primal dieters, beware...
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •