Thread: Sugar to fat translation page

primal_clay is offline Junior Member

Sugar to fat translation

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

My question is about sugar. I have read Mark's book and understand how our bodies respond to sugar in our bloodstream, but I am not trying to figure out how long it takes for sugars to become fat cells in our bodies. I am guessing that if we use the sugars immediately, it will not go to storage, but if we did not exercise ... how long would it take for that process to take place ... literally ... just curious. I have not been able to find it anywhere on the web and thought one of Mark's forums could help.

Thank you in advance,

Clay

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Faster than you would like, I imagine! Actually, I don't know the answer to this question. I suppose it would depend on a lot of things - how much glycogen you had on hand, how insulin resistant you are, what your insulin levels were when you consumed the sugar. I imagine (though this may not be at all accurate, just my little bloodstream fantasy) that in someone who is quite insulin resistant, the triglycerides and VLDL and small dense LDL float around for days on end, searching for a fatty home.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know, glucose is rarely converted into fat unless you really eat a LOT of starch, but excess fructose is readily converted into fat.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

primal_clay is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thank you for your response. I have just never seen it actually spelled out anywhere ... for instance, if I put one teaspoon of table sugar in my mouth (and I have not had any refined sugars for months) and did not exercise, how long would it take? Again, it is simply a curiosity. Someone else has had to have asked this question before, but I could not find anything that spells it out exactly. I will keep searching and report.