Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for staying under 50g 0f carbs page

tizzi is offline Junior Member

Advice for staying under 50g 0f carbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi I've been doing primal for about a week and thought I was doing well however not so sure now. I assumed because I'd cut out all bread, grains etc that my carbs would automatically be low but when I checked today, out of interest, they were 103!! I really wasn't expecting that and now I feel this is going to be hard. I loved that the idea that I didn't have to count anything as long as stuck to the rules but it now doesn't seem that way. How do you stick to under 50 carbs?

This is what I'm usually eating and if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear from you.

B - 1 avocado - 12g

L - 2 slices of bacon, 1 chorizo sausage (all good ingredients), 1 tomato 11g, 5 mushrooms 5g, 2 eggs - all fried up together in a good blob of duck fat.

D - Thai chicken curry - made from good shop bought paste and creamed coconut -3g with 1 big chicken thigh (save the rest for tomorrow) over a plate full of cabbage- 10/15g - fried in the saved fat that came off the chicken thighs.

Then I ate the chicken skins (all 5 of them, yum)

I put all of the above in 'my fitness pal' and it came up with 103g carbs so I've got to trust it - it must know more than me.

Got any advice?

Much appreciated.
    me.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Give it a month. Tracking your calories will provide you with useful information. As long as your carbs are not from processed food including gluten grains or sugar you are probably doing fine.

Thanks for answering so quickly! I'm being really, really strict with all those things and none have passed my lips so far tho I'm very tempted to have a wee glass of red tonight - it's 7.45pm here - and it really would only be a small one and would last all evening. What do you think?

Also, do you think what I'm eating sounds ok to you? Are you eating similar foods/quantities?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Don't get too carried away with the low carb thing from the start, let your body adapt naturally for a few months, then start to tweak down if you feel you need to.
    Hope you're enjoying the wine, it's fine.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Seems like what you ate was fine. Stick with it for a while and see how things go.

Far as staying under 50g.... well its basically meat and leafy greens.

Thanks to all! The reassurance really helps :-)

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzi View Post
    Hi I've been doing primal for about a week and thought I was doing well however not so sure now. I assumed because I'd cut out all bread, grains etc that my carbs would automatically be low but when I checked today, out of interest, they were 103!! I really wasn't expecting that and now I feel this is going to be hard. I loved that the idea that I didn't have to count anything as long as stuck to the rules but it now doesn't seem that way. How do you stick to under 50 carbs?

This is what I'm usually eating and if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear from you.

B - 1 avocado - 12g

L - 2 slices of bacon, 1 chorizo sausage (all good ingredients), 1 tomato 11g, 5 mushrooms 5g, 2 eggs - all fried up together in a good blob of duck fat.

D - Thai chicken curry - made from good shop bought paste and creamed coconut -3g with 1 big chicken thigh (save the rest for tomorrow) over a plate full of cabbage- 10/15g - fried in the saved fat that came off the chicken thighs.

Then I ate the chicken skins (all 5 of them, yum)

I put all of the above in 'my fitness pal' and it came up with 103g carbs so I've got to trust it - it must know more than me.

Got any advice?

Much appreciated.
    me.
    That Avocado is way off. It's mostly fiber. If you want to stay under 50g, you should probaby calculate net carbs.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Menu looks great, don't sweat over any unrefined food in the early stages. Half of the carbohydrate you listed is probably fiber which does not become glucose anyway.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Today pushed me JUST over. Here's the stats, if you want to analyze. The first number after each food is fat, the second protein and the last carbs. Been rather active today (over an hour walking, half an hour walking [separate from the first] with 25kg of weights, some sprinting, 10min of moderately intense yoga and lots of running around after ill people and animals), but felt like it was time for a meat-day, so I just ate whatever vegetation I fancied and let the body do its stuff.

Today:
    1 medium avocado 29.5, 4, 17.1
    50g value corned beef 7, 12.5, 0.2
    2 rashers bacon 6.6, 5.8, 0.3
    2 scrambled eggs 14.1, 12.9, 2.5 (16p)
    2 scrambled eggs 14.1, 12.9, 2.5 (16p)
    1 chicken thigh 19.2, 31, 0
    1 skinless breast 6.2, 55.2, 0
    1 large orange 0.4, 1.3, 14.4
    1 tangerine 0.2, 0.6, 9.3
    250ml whole milk 8, 8, 12
    25g cheddar 8.1, 6.1, 0.3
    12.5g cheddar 4, 3, 0.1
    25g butter 20.5, 0, 0

Total daily:
    -2642kcal
    -182g fat
    -191g protein
    -60g carbs
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Thanks for comments. I'm surprised about the avocado being an issue only because so many people on the forum seem to include it in their diet but I'll take the advice as I'm really quite ignorant about the carbohydrate, fibre, glucose link and I've no idea at all about net carbs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast