Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with weight training/cardio schedule... page

Geeknik is offline Member

Question Need help with weight training/cardio schedule...

My schedule right now is:

Mon.- Lift weights + 30 min. on elliptical
    Tues.- 45 min. on elliptical
    Wed.- Lift weights + 30 min. on elliptical
    Thurs.- 45 min. on elliptical
    Fri.- Lift weights + 30 min. on elliptical
    Sat.-Sun.- Rest days, but I still take my dog on her usual 1-3 daily walks for 30min. each walk.

Is 45min. on the elliptical at low speed but high resistance going to cause me to burn muscle? I want to make sure I'm not losing muscle. I want to lose more fat and get stronger. What if anything should I change?
    Last edited by Geeknik; 04-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Take a break from the elliptical. It's not helping you lose fat. This totally qualifies as chronic cardio. Go for long walks 3 times a week instead.

What do you do for your weight-lifting program?

I have a 10 lb kettlebell, 15 lb dumbbells, and a resistance band that I do different arm/leg exercises with for roughly 30 minutes. Sometimes, I go to my apartment complex's tiny gym that has some different weight machines that I'll use instead of my home equipment. Whether I use my home equipment or the little gym I do various arm, leg, abs & back exercises.

I'm thinking of switching to lifting weights for around an hour a day X 3 days a week and staying off the elliptical on those days and just using my elliptical for 30 minutes max on Tues/Thurs only. Is that better?

No matter how much I work out each day I will still walk my dog every day for 30 minutes at a time, 1-3 times a day and on nice days might go for an easy bike ride instead.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 04-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.

That definitely sounds better.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    The elliptical isn't necessarily chronic cardio. It depends on how intense you make your workout on it. Here is Mark's definition, if you haven't already read it Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple

You could switch up one of those days on the elliptical to do a high intensity interval training for about 15 or so minutes. It shortens your workout time and is highly beneficial. If you're not sure what that is, you can look up tabata training, or Dr. Mercola's Peak 8 - which is a little less intense than tabata or something similar. Of course, you don't have to do this on the elliptical, if you can handle the higher impact of running/sprinting outside. Sprinting isn't recommended more often than once a week, because if you do it too often you can injure yourself.

Lizard is offline Senior Member
    Try different cardio's - the best is to be outside and enjoy what you're doing :-)
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

When you do hours of cardio for the purpose of losing weight, it is by definition chronic cardio.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    The OP is not doing "hours of cardio" and if they are doing it at low intensity, then I can't see where it does any harm.

http://paleospirit.com/tag/chronic-cardio/

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    The OP is not doing "hours of cardio" and if they are doing it at low intensity, then I can't see where it does any harm.

Chronic Cardio | Paleo Spirit
    it says low speed, high resistance. for 45 minutes. sounds like chronic cardio to me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the advice guys. I do want to add sprint interval training at some point...perhaps on Sunday mornings since it might be too exhausting to do it on the days I lift weights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast