Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with weight training/cardio schedule... page 2

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, interval training and heavy lifting should ideally not be done on the same day. You can do intervals on the elliptical or stationary bike, or you could run. Other possibilities include Tabata burpees (very unpleasant) or high knees.

I don't think that 45 minutes on the elliptical is necessarily chronic cardio. However, doing the elliptical five times a week is a bit much. Your body will likely adapt to that routine fairly quickly, and then it wont' be as effective at helping you lose fat. Try to switch things up a bit. I don't know what your fitness level is like, but consider incorporating some easy runs/jogs for say 30 minutes at a time. Another possibility is walk uphill at a brisk pace (easiest to do on a treadmill unless you live in hilly country). I think that some amount of cardio is necessary for fat loss and good health (yes, I just said that cardio is healthy). Not telling you to start marathon training, but I do believe that moderate intensity and moderate duration cardio is beneficial. I don't think that long slow walks are sufficient (although long slow walks are definitely also beneficial, but it sounds like you already do that anyway).

**Disclaimer: I engage in chronic cardio on a regular basis so I'm like the person at the AA meeting who refuses to give up wine and insists on telling everyone else that a glass or two of wine a day is beneficial.**

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    At one point I read that 20-30 minutes 3 times a week is adequate cardio. I got that out of a heart monitor book.

Geeknik is offline Member
    Yeah, I'm definitely getting tired of the elliptical. I was getting on it for an hour a day, 5 days a week the first two months after I got it. Now that all the snow has melted and it's warming up I've been using it for shorter time periods and walking outside a lot more. And if it ever stops raining I'll unfold my bike and take it for a spin on occasion.

There are a lot of great parks with dirt trails through the woods around here so I think on Sundays I will drive to one of the parks and do 30 minutes of interval training. Can't run on pavement anymore because when I was in high school I ran cross country and kept injuring my feet in practice running on the street. Plus it's more fun to run in the woods anyway.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    At one point I read that 20-30 minutes 3 times a week is adequate cardio. I got that out of a heart monitor book.
    It is recommended that one walk an hour a day - I got that off of this website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12