Thread: Wife has gestational diabetes, prehistoric dietitian says more carsb? page

Toshison is offline Member

Wife has gestational diabetes, prehistoric dietitian says more carsb?

Shop Now
    The Misses is preggers and she failed the gestational diabetes test. She is 31, a fitness instructor, super fit and healthy and eats a very clean diet. They have determined she has high blood sugar because the 100gm sugary carb drink they gave her kept her blood sugar elevated longer than it was suppose to be. They send her to meet with a dietitian from the diabetes association who works with the hospital we are delivering at and they set her up with a blood glucose monitoring kit and a diet

As expected, the dietitian perscribes a diet using the vintage food pyramid of mostly grains/carbs and little protein and fat. In their proposed healthy meal plan, they suggest items like crackers, biscuits, margarine, whole wheat bread and lots of milk (1 glass per meal) etc.

They looked into my wife's current meal plan - Almost all of which are whole foods, good amount of protein (meat, eggs etc..), good amount of fats (coconut oil, butter, olive oil, nuts) and moderate carbs (sweet potatoes, potatoes, fruits, veges and sometimes rice) and some diary. Her macro ratio's are more inline with a "zone" style diet 30-30-40. Lots of MDA principles at work mixed in with some personal choice opting for the "nothing to drastic" approach..

This dietitian basically says to stop eating so much protein and fats and gives her a simple ridiculous explanation of "too many calories". Then tells her to eat more whole grains. They want my wife to have stable blood sugar levels throughout the day and are basically perscribing more carbs. Is this not lunacy??

Sure enough, my wife, as a test just to humour this dietitian has stepped up drinking more milk and reintroduced some grains into her diet. What happens? Her blood sugar ends up being much higher throughout the day!!! Basically making things worse.

Are there any women out there with experience with gestational diabetes that can provide some insight and I'd like to hear some input from anybody with diabetes as well. Thanks

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I'm a dietitian, though I don't work with gestational diabetes (I'm in geriatrics), but I can tell you that if your wife has a blood testing setup, she should be eating her usual clean diet for at least a week and keep meticulous blood glucose records. My guess is that she will be pretty much perfect. If not, then and only then, should she return to a dietitian/MD, and ask for additional help with a "gluten-free" diabetic diet. Likely the issue will be more about using some insulin to get through the pregnancy.

The bottom line is that her sugars need to remain good for the sake of the baby. If that means taking some insulin, that's the way to go. But no-where is it written that whole grains are required to build a baby. The Inuit have been having healthy babies for millenia, right?

Good luck with the pregnancy.

Hopefully Dr. Bork Bork will chime in here. She's a type 1 diabetic that is normally insulin-free and just had a baby in the last couple of months.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Geeknik is offline Member
    You might want to watch The Food Revolution on youtube. He talks about how much the food pyramid has changed for the worse and at one point around the 26 minute mark mentions that in the past diabetics were advised to avoid grains.

Toshison is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    That silly diagnosis is likely due to low carb-induced insulin resistance. Read this:

Gestational Diabetes: What constitutes low blood sugar?

and this: Stand and Deliver: Michel Odent on GD
    Thanks for the links. I read the Robb Wolf one a couple days ago but the Michel Odent one was another good one. It all pretty much confirms what I've been thinking about this.

As you can imagine, the whole "Gestational diabetes" label and the advertised associated risks can really take a toll on an expectant mothers fearful nature. That ticks me off because I firmly believe that the diet they are pushing on my wife will actually do more harm than good and that even the blood glucose monitoring my wife is doing is proving that. It just blows me away that they could actually recommend margarine of all things and tea biscuits!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshison View Post
    Thanks for the links. I read the Robb Wolf one a couple days ago but the Michel Odent one was another good one. It all pretty much confirms what I've been thinking about this.

As you can imagine, the whole "Gestational diabetes" label and the advertised associated risks can really take a toll on an expectant mothers fearful nature. That ticks me off because I firmly believe that the diet they are pushing on my wife will actually do more harm than good and that even the blood glucose monitoring my wife is doing is proving that. It just blows me away that they could actually recommend margarine of all things and tea biscuits!
    I know oh so well. I am constantly contradicting the recommendations of well-meaning, but woe-fully undereducated docs, etc in my nutrition coaching practice. The emotional stress on the moms is the worst part of it.