Thread: New guy with Cholesterol results. page

Tlhfirelion is offline Junior Member

New guy with Cholesterol results.

Shop Now
    So I've read up on the cholesterol and my numbers didn't scare me, in fact the total cholesterol has dropped about 5 points from a year ago. I've only been doing primal religiously for about a month. My lipid profile showed this,

Component Your Value Standard Range Units
    CHOLESTEROL 201 100 - 200 MG/DL
    TRIGLYCERIDE 46 0 - 150 MG/DL
    HDL 57 40 - 60 MG/DL
    LDL CALCULATED 135 58 - 100 MG/DL
    CHOL/HDL RATIO 3.53 3.43 - 4.97 RATIO

Patient Age-38, Male, Caucasian, Sexy. (Ok I added that last part ;-)

So my ratio is good but I would like to get my HDL up and my LDL down a bit. I currently take a fish oil pill every morning but I either need to up my dosage or move to krill oil or something else? I lift weights 3 days a week and do some sort of walking/sprinting kind of workout 1-2 days a week as well. The cholesterol was the only thing not in the "normal" range with regard to my blood.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I think you're concerned over nothing. If you check here, you'll see your numbers are great:
    Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

your HDL/Total = .28, and higher than .24 is ideal
    Triglyceride/HDL = .80, and 2 or less is ideal

The bottom line is that your heart attack risk according to your cholesterol test is very low.

It also depends on how you're eating. Are you HFLC or a little more in the middle?

otzi Guest
    Here's what you do to really kick-ass, though your numbers look perfect!

All summer long, get 30-60 minutes of shirtless sun exposure per day, early or late enough that you don't need suntan lotion.

Also, eat 1-2 4oz servings of fish per day, canned sardines/oysters are fine.

Vit D is big in the cholesterol conversion process and the 03 from the real fish will be the deathblow to any bad cholesterol you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I think you're concerned over nothing. If you check here, you'll see your numbers are great:
    Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

your HDL/Total = .28, and higher than .24 is ideal
    Triglyceride/HDL = .80, and 2 or less is ideal

The bottom line is that your heart attack risk according to your cholesterol test is very low.

It also depends on how you're eating. Are you HFLC or a little more in the middle?

Good info thank you for the reply. What do you mean HFLC? Is that high fat low carb? If so, I'd say I'm more in the middle. I am eating a fair amount of fruit but that's what's keeping me sane. Lol. I had another post where I laid it all out but essentially, despite not drinking hardly any soda or juices, not eating hardly any candy or ice cream, I was still taking in 250 grams of carbs per day EASY and thus, I'm overweight by 20-30 lbs. I have a lust for pasta, breads, rolls, donuts, etc. those were my weakness. So replacing all of that with fruit is where I'm at....well fruit and bacon. Lol. Good to see my numbers look good, thanks for the link.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here's what you do to really kick-ass, though your numbers look perfect!

All summer long, get 30-60 minutes of shirtless sun exposure per day, early or late enough that you don't need suntan lotion.

Also, eat 1-2 4oz servings of fish per day, canned sardines/oysters are fine.

Vit D is big in the cholesterol conversion process and the 03 from the real fish will be the deathblow to any bad cholesterol you have.
    Some good ideas there, thank you. I need to be careful with my sun exposure. Being Irish and German, me without a shirt on in the sun is like foil in a microwave. Just a lot of sparks and pain for all involved. Lol. I assume my multi v with Vit D in it helps?

Thanks for the reply.