Thread: Exercise advice needed page

Mike_L is offline Junior Member

Exercise advice needed

Primal Fuel
    Greetings, everyone. I'm 34 years old, 5'11'', 235 lbs. In other words, I could stand to lose a few pounds. Like many others, I have struggled most of my adult life with diet and exercise. I came to The Primal Blueprint with the hopes that this lifestyle shift will be the one that works for me. I'm reading the book, and I like it so far. I can definitely get with the eating program, but the exercise program, like every exercise program I've ever attempted, is giving me a mental block. I simply can't devise an approach that will work for my daily life and time contraints. Here's what I need to know---if I have only one hour a day to devote to exercise, exactly what should I do if my goals are to lose weight, build muscle, feel good, and look better? I have an elliptical trainer at home. I don't belong to a gym, but I would join one if I could devise a workout plan ahead of time that I knew I could stick to. I have gone to gyms before, and so I understand (or at least think I understand) different machines, exercises, and movements, but I would be perfectly willing to approach this like I've never even seen a dumbbell before. If any of the good people on these forums would be willing to share some tips and lay out a plan for me, I would be grateful. Thank you all in advance for any help you might provide.

-Mike L.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Read the book, get to grips with the nutrition side of things. In a few weeks or a few months time you'll most likely feel a hell of a lot better than you do now, and moving your body will start to become something you actually want to do rather than something you feel you should do. If you start exercising because you want to, you're way more likely to stick with it.

You don't need to exercise to start losing weight. Yes, it'll help and in the long run I'd say it is essential but why not walk before you can run (pardon the pun).

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Read Mark's primal blueprint fitness program on the site. Follow that. It won't take an hour for strength training; you won't need machines. Body weight...

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    If you want to try something completely different, and very time-efficient, look into "Body by Science" (weightlifting moderate weights to muscle failure once a week; takes me 30 minutes). I go to this "SuperSlow" studio in Denver. OR you can look into any of the high intensity interval training protocols that have been tested; google Michael Mosley, Truth about Exercise to get an overview. My wife does three 20-30 second high intensity intervals on our exercise bike a couple of times a week.

If you look on the Daily Apple site you will find an amazing variety of suggestions and criticisms of every program.

That said, the Primal fitness program is also good and you can just start with some nice walks! Just start, today.
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Start by watching videos of various sorts of exercise and training programs on youtube. Before you know it you will start finding things that you want to try.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    As spuggygirl said, get the nutrition down. You really don't need an exercise program. Something as simple as walking is good for a start. Also you don't necessarily need to set aside time to exercise. You can do squats anywhere, anytime. I do that and get in a few incline push-ups in less than 5 minutes before I walk out the door in the morning and again when I get home. I use the fitness center at work at lunch and either do 35 minutes of combined jogging/walking on the dreadmill, or an easy 35 minutes on the elliptical or 20 minutes on the rower. On the days I use the rower, I also do some kettlebell exercises and some Australian pull-ups and incline push-ups on the smith machine. The fitness center has no barbells so i make do with those items and some of some of the other machines. On nicer days I do a 2.5 mile walk outside - that's usually 45 minutes because I don't have to change my clothes like I do for the fitness center.

I also have a TRX suspension system at home but I've slacked off on that and need to use it more. On weekends I do 5+ mile walks.