Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here very noise sensitive? How did you overcome it? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Anyone here very noise sensitive? How did you overcome it?

Shop Now
    I'm the kind of person who's easily startled by noises, and I'm just realising that this is contributing to sleep difficulties that I have. (One of my housemates is an alcoholic and his room is right above me. Every night I'm woken by either the sound of him snoring / knocking something over / getting up to pee... I feel bad for him but damn )

I wear ear plugs but I find them really uncomfortable and they invariably fall out. Anyway, it would be nice to deal with the issue instead of just papering over it: there's always going to be noise.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oddly enough, living in a city works best for me. It's like the light din of almost 24 hour/day activity desensitizes me a bit. Also, an air conditioner (window or wall type) can help, but sometimes it's the opposite. I don't like ear plugs because they make me feel vulnerable (I also don't listen to music when I go for a walk).

Maybe a white noise machine would help?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oddly enough, living in a city works best for me. It's like the light din of almost 24 hour/day activity desensitizes me a bit. Also, an air conditioner (window or wall type) can help, but sometimes it's the opposite. I don't like ear plugs because they make me feel vulnerable (I also don't listen to music when I go for a walk).

Maybe a white noise machine would help?
    This sounds like a good idea. If you could fall asleep to the white noise (which would hopefully mask drunken-roommate noise) then your brain will just ignore it the rest of the night (I'd imagine).

My issue is that I get blood-boilingly annoyed by noises -- noises that other people make. Gum-smacking, eating, nose-blowing, whispering. When my mom reads the newspaper she licks one finger to turn the page, and non-consciously rubs her other hand on the outside of her thigh. I feel like such a twerp for asking her to stop.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips! I found this site that has free white noise sound effects: SimplyNoise - The Best Free White Noise Generator on the Internet.

I think someone might end up dead if I listen to the static sound for too long though...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Overall, reducing anxiety and depression with amino acids has worked for me. I don't wake up to "insignificant" noise, I can fall asleep with occasional unusual noises (fiancÚ talking in the other room, yelling at video games etc.), and I'm not startled as easily.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I actually find even white noise intensely annoying - perhaps it's because I trained as a musician, so I find it difficult not to 'hear' things. I find it really hard to relegate sounds into the background.

I'm also a very light sleeper, live in a flat with poor soundproofing and in a courtyard where every noise carries. My dogs used to sleep in the same room too - no wonder I sleep poorly. I hated earplugs at first but I've managed to get used to them...I find the silicone ones work best for me...oh and the dogs now sleep in a different room.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have a white noise app for my iPhone that has a variety of different types of noises... ocean, rain, etc. The semi-random sound of pounding ocean waves works best for me.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    My apartment has terrible noise insulation. Terrible as in non-existent - I can hear pretty much everything that happens in adjacent units. I tried moving but that's pretty much the way NYC housing is.

Box fan and good-quality noise cancelling headphones are pretty much necessities for me.

I also employ a little retaliation, which makes me feel better. I belt out country music whenever the mood strikes. Just this morning my neighbors got to hear all about Lori McKenna's lover's Drinking Problem. And god help the neighbors when I'm drinking - then it's Kesha and Katy Perry. (I love bad music.)

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Try ambient minimalist music turned low. The BBC has a show "Late Junction" that plays a couple of hours of this kind of thing at bedtime (or it used to a few years ago).

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I've slept with earplugs for over 15 years now. I'm picky, I only use MAX Ear plugs, they're nice and soft and you can twirl them down to a nice skinny size to insert into your ear and then they puff back up and form a good tight fit but not uncomfortable. They're also NR33 which is one of the better ones.

Additionally I run an air cleaner in the bedroom which offers a pleasant white noise that covers up a lot of other low level noises.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast