Thread: wife and family think i'm crazy/sick/dying/wasting away - pls help!!! page

yon cassius is offline Junior Member

wife and family think i'm crazy/sick/dying/wasting away - pls help!!!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been practising as closely as possible the PB lifestyle for approx 6 months. I wasn't very overweight to start with but wanted to try PB as a healthy lifestyle choice and I love it and have no intention of going back to grains/sugars etc.

I started out six months ago as : 6'3'' and 203 pounds
    I am now : 175 pounds

I am very lean despite trying to eat as much as possible and my family think I am either dying/anorexic/very sick or just plain crazy. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sample typical daily diet :

Breakfast :
    4 bacon slices (including all the meat fat)
    3 black puddings
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 coffee

Lunch :
    One or two portions of potato
    One or two portions of carrots/turnips
    Meat eg sheperds pie/mince beef/ chicken breast/pork chop etc

Snack :
    Sardines - can x 2 (in water)
    or
    Handful of mixed nuts

Dinner :
    One or two portions of potato
    One or two portions of carrots/turnips
    Larger portion of meat than at lunch

Dessert:
    Raw cheese - 4 slices + 20 grapes
    +
    Natural Yoghurt approx 250 grams + spoon of honey

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Tell them to F..CK OFF. Seriously, what's the deal with them ? Do you finger-point at how crappy their lifestyle is ? No ? So they can return the favor, don't you think ?!
    That's how I deal with my reluctant family: I don't force them, I told them once and only once what they should know. After that, it is in their hands to adopt this lifestyle or not. But receiving critics BECAUSE I changed how I eat and move ?? Well, they can stick their grains / sugars / slouching to where you and I think ...

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    You have a good diet, all that is missing appears to be green veggies. And it looks like a lot of food, no carb phobia or fruit avoiding, just overall junk avoiding.

That said, 6'3, 175 seems thin. My husband is 6'2, 180, though he has a tall, thin build. I doubt it is unhealthy, but in contrast to other people you probably do look really thin, because so many people are indeed fat. Guys can get really lean.... Maybe work on building some muscle if you don't want to loseso much weight?

But you hardly sound crazy or anorexic. It sounds like you eat plenty!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

yon cassius is offline Junior Member
    thanks maggies, great response and very helpful

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Eat some more green vegetables but don't worry about your weight. I am about 6'2" and I'm at 162lbs right now. I don't look emaciated. I feel amazing! A lot better then when I was at 180lbs. I hope to put on 10-15lbs of muscle but I'm not in a hurry.

diene is offline Senior Member
    You're so lucky. I wish I could eat as much as you and still be lean--haha! Like everyone else said above, lift weights to put on muscle, or just ignore your family? How could they think that you're anorexic when you're eating that much food? How is eating whole foods and avoiding processed crap crazy?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Your weight seemed kind of low to me, so I looked at online BMI and weight calculators. You're pretty much right in the middle of the healthy BMI calculation and the healthy weight for a man with a medium frame. People who are giving you a hard time just don't know what they're looking at. Do they see how much you eat?

DH and I have had a similar experience right about the time our weights dropped from the overweight range into the healthy weight range. Telling people "I would have to lose X more pounds to be considered underweight" just elicits a bunch of blah, blah, blah about how you can't trust those charts. I think people are so accustomed to fatness that they have no idea what is healthy.

The only thing I ever say about how I eat is that I've pretty much eliminated processed foods from my regular diet. Who can argue with that?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    I know how you feel. I'm 6'2" and weight about 156lbs. Pre-paleo I was 140lbs and to be honest I did look ill. (though that was mostly due to too much sugar and grains).

Occasionally when I wear 'fitted' clothing my parents will make some snarky comment but I have just learnt to ignore them. They are extremely unhealthy, yo-yo dieters and have no idea despite my efforts of educating (not criticising) them, why eating real foods equals optimum vitality. My Father smokes 15 cigarettes day and eats bread like there's no tomorrow. He's also obese and weighs at least double my weight and a few inches shorter. In fact, all of my family both immediate (inc. my twin brother) and extended family are either overweight or obese. Other than the obvious reasons for eating Paleo, my Fathers parents both passed away before 70 years with cancer and heart attack... Nobody seems to realise that they can go the same way and nobody has bothered to help themselves.

If the people saw how much real food you ate, they would probably be surprised that you are not heavier because they don't understand how the body works.

Just understand that you know why you are doing this lifestyle and why it's expected to stay fairly lean. Personally I don't work out though I have definitely gained muscle since going Paleo!

I find that most people pick on slim/lean physics because they feel intimidated by their lifestyle choices. (that's if they know what they eat). People are always going to pick at you for something and since most of society are overweight, the lean folks are always going to stand out as "different".

Your diet seems fine, perhaps just workout or don't worry about it, be comfortable in your own skin and don't pressure yourself to fit in with others.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 04-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Teasea is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes my wife tells me simular things, whenever i get an ache or pain its your diet, so like most husbands now I just dont say any thing and enjoy my good health, at least when I die there will be someone to blame.
    She stills compares me to when I was 18kgs heavier 6 months ago and against my mates, all a sad lot when it comes to this as I was before I found this site, although I brought one mate and his wife on the journey.

Keep on keeping on!!!